How do you hold yours .......

Started by tayloriand, July 09, 2011, 10:24:36 AM

tayloriand

Pistol that is ...

I see lots of rifle scopes fitted to pistols from our fellow pistoleers in the States.

How do you hold the pistol - taco, over arm brace, etc

I'd really like to know and see pics if possible.

Cheers
Ian
member of Dukinfield Air Gun Club
www.dukinfieldairgunclub.webeden.co.uk
Undercover 30 lanes up to 35 yards including 5 pistol lanes
Paper, knockdown targets, spinners, etc

Madkoifish

If taco means up close to the eye while cradling it like a mini rifle then yes. My hB17 is set up so I that I rest the back of the gun on my cheek. I did this with my pc77 when I used the peep before I added all the goodies. It worked for me added a level of repeatability and precision. I started doing this since I had a red dot originally on my hb and closer your eye is to the dot the smaller that dot appears on your target. So instead of a quarter sized blob at 20yards it was more of a pencil eraser. I know others that cannot or will not shoot a pistol like this. I used to shoot the hb17 with outstretched arms and one hand cradling the grip hand, but I found this introduced a lot of sway and possible points for influence on accuracy.

Mac1 has a girl holding one of his custom match guns like this. Id link but the site is down atm.

Closest I could find, I stand though and cradle the bottom of the pump arm. heh
http://photos.diablofieldtarget.org/images/A_9/3/3/3/23339/836a8ec6676d450591e78f9695a908e9.JPG

Hell outside of these braced sitting pics I am probably one of the only tards who shoots a pistol like this.  I wouldn't do this with a break barrel pistol though.

Most of my pumpers have stocks now so they are not real pistols anymore in a technical sense.

ayerstg

I only put a long eye relief 'scope on pistols, so no need to get close.  Getting close enough to use a rifle scope would require a trip to the ER with my powder burners...  I shudder at the thought of a 300 gr cast bullet from a Blackhawk held 3 ½ inches from my face...
Custom Shop 2400; 1377 -> custom 2289; 1377 -> custom 1389; Sheridan Blue Streak (all bronze); Quest 800; Quest 1000, Win 363; RWS M38; RWS M24; Browning 800 Mag

quickster47 †

I use the taco hold for lots of my standing off hand shooting, but that is only with pistols and in particular when shooting silhouette.  It works well for some shooting but not everything.

Carl

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7a85uctmQw#normal]Gunzorro Demonstrates the "Taco Hold"[/url]

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Madkoifish

Quote from: ayerstg on July 09, 2011, 02:39:02 PM
I only put a long eye relief 'scope on pistols, so no need to get close.  Getting close enough to use a rifle scope would require a trip to the ER with my powder burners...  I shudder at the thought of a 300 gr cast bullet from a Blackhawk held 3 ½ inches from my face...

Well we are not talking about firearms nor about 300 grain rounds but 7~18 grain pellets in 177 or 22. 

eric

i use a EER scope(pistol) --- i have and will use a SER scope(rifle) and had no problems when shooting off a rest and standing for short ranges .
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

ayerstg

QuoteWell we are not talking about firearms nor about 300 grain rounds but 7~18 grain pellets in 177 or 22

Obviously, and I'm not looking to argue or flame.  My point was that it is a bad habit to acquire.  That's too close to the face for any firearm, even for a rimfire.  It's bad habit.  Long eye relief 'scopes are better for pistols.  Rifle scopes should not be used on pistols even if one can "get away with it" on an air gun.

Real-life-I-was-there-when-it-happened:  A shooter I am acquainted with became accustomed to holding a rimfire revolver close due to using a rifle scope instead of a pistol scope.  Switched to shooting prone with a centerfire single action (actually not even heavy loads); I was at the bench beside him shooting a rifle.  I heard the revolver go "bang", immediately followed by a howl of anguish.  Looked left and saw that he had cramped the centerfire (iron sights) close to face because he had become habituated to that grip and it recoiled like it was supposed to, laying a 7 1/2" barrel mark up his face PLUS a huge, copiously bleeding divot in his forehead just above his right eyebrow from the front sight.  A shorter barrel would have been worse - front sight in the eye.

Like I wrote, in MY opinion, it is a bad habit.  But suit yourself <shrug>.

Tom
Custom Shop 2400; 1377 -> custom 2289; 1377 -> custom 1389; Sheridan Blue Streak (all bronze); Quest 800; Quest 1000, Win 363; RWS M38; RWS M24; Browning 800 Mag

eric

people compete probably at all levels(local/nationals/worlds  ??? ) with rifle scopes on air-pistols  --- i can't see it be any more dangerous than a scope on a rifle --- much different than a PB ,now a big bore air-pistol(outlaw or similar) probably best to use your better judgement though
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Coopieclan

I have a 2240 with a scope and TKO barrel extension.
The more I hold it like a rifle the better my shooting is.
My scope has 12 or so inches of eye relief.
I think it is the 2250 that has a forestock. I could see the advantage of that.

Madkoifish

Quote from: Coopieclan on July 11, 2011, 03:43:31 AM
I have a 2240 with a scope and TKO barrel extension.
The more I hold it like a rifle the better my shooting is.
My scope has 12 or so inches of eye relief.
I think it is the 2250 that has a forestock. I could see the advantage of that.

Maybe considering a stock for the gun if it works better for you? Though that DOES defeat the purpose of it being a pistol. What scope do you have that you get 12"?