STAINLESS STEEL PUMP TUBE

Started by recklessridr, July 13, 2011, 02:26:49 AM

recklessridr

can anyone tell me where to fond a SS pump tube? need to replace mine as it is eating pump seals.   thnx
BAM  51
crosman 140
crosman 1389
crosman 2289
crosman 1377
benji   310
kessler .22
SP 2

Joshua A

have you de-burred the holes and pump arm groove? they will do that no matter what they are made of if the have not been de-burred. the sharp edges will cut the seal as soon as you put it into the tube.

J.Austin

1377x

Quote from: recklessridr on July 13, 2011, 02:26:49 AM
can anyone tell me where to fond a SS pump tube? need to replace mine as it is eating pump seals.   thnx
which seals are getting wrecked??
closed mouths dont get fed

tayloriand

Did I once see a great tutorial on deburing a 1377 tube before fitting FT Piston ?

Cheers
Ian
member of Dukinfield Air Gun Club
www.dukinfieldairgunclub.webeden.co.uk
Undercover 30 lanes up to 35 yards including 5 pistol lanes
Paper, knockdown targets, spinners, etc

recklessridr

this tube is from an old 1389. it has had mmore than 200,000 rounds thru it, & several sets of seals along the way. it was"'parked" for a couple of years as my work/travel schedule didn't allow time for too much recreation. most recently, it has been completely disassembled, cleaned, re-blued,& stock was drilled for the mounting screws. prior to blueing the barrel was polished with 1600 grit w/d , re-crowned & throated ( details on this will be another post ), and the pump tube likewise polished, inside & out with the same method. on the first go-round with blueing compound, there was LOTS of gunk/rust raised inside the tube, leading to another pass of cleaning & polishing. all de-burring was done with the same 1600 paper & the old o-ring used to show any signs of burrs before assembly. i got lucky enough to find a brown VITON outer o-ring for the valve, and of course a new piston & cup ( never fired !!) from a friends HOT (!!!) 1322 project which i finished the assembly on. as it now stands, with less than 750 rounds thru it, i am again replacing the piston cup ( and soon will have a flat top setup ). if due to age, wear and/or pitting, the tube has worn out, i would like to replace it with a SS part & be done with it. also, it seems to get notceably  harder to pump when a drop of oil is added to the pump cup. if i add a flat top to the gun, i dont want to be changing piston seals every month,as  this  rig sees at least 250 rounds a week. i'm open to ideas, do i replace the tube with a new one, or fnd a SS replacement.
  this is my right hand!!!  now working 2 miles from home, there is always time to shoot, and the mice & starlings raiding my berries are really getting bold.  there are other toys in the box, but none of them fit me as well as this old backpacker. it still shoots straighter than i do, and i hate being without it.
   all suggestions welcome
BAM  51
crosman 140
crosman 1389
crosman 2289
crosman 1377
benji   310
kessler .22
SP 2

slothart

A few posts have mentioned that Don Cothran is going to start creating 1377 parts.  i don't remember if any of those mentioned tubes, but might be worth getting in touch with him.  He does SS 22xx tubes already.
http://www.cothranmachine.com/
Crosman: 1377carbine / Beeman: Tempest / Benjamin: P-Rod, 310 & 342 / Sheridan: Blue Streak & Blue Streak Steroid (both rockers) / AA TX200HC

1377x

i belive it was don that created a ss tube for the pumpers dont quote on it
i do know who did have a ss pumper you might be able to get an answer from him
www.pacificpelletguns.com
darren he posts here from time to time iirc
ask him where he got his tube
there are some others who made their own tubes getting the ss tube honing it drilling milling .they made some nice powerful guns
closed mouths dont get fed