1701P Traveling Show Review

Started by arkmaker †, July 13, 2011, 01:55:22 PM

arkmaker †

I just realized that I never posted this review here on the CAPOF. I had my laptop crash and lost most everything including all my pictures  :( Better late than never, I guess. This is the exact post I put over on the GREEN. I took the "bringing airgunners together" approach for the review...

Let me start by saying Thank You to Randy and anyone else that is responsible (Crosman?) for the 1701P shuffle. This has been great reading since the start and now that Fred and I have had the chance to shoot it, it has become a great experience!

A little background about me first as to my airgunning experience; close to none really. I shot an old 1950s Model 114 growing up in Northern Connecticut. Some rabbit and squirrel hunting, but mostly I shot the heck out of tin cans and bottles. Then in the 80s I couldnt pass by a 1861 for sale in the tackle shop where I was buying a couple of new lures for an all-night of bass fishing and beer drinking with my brother in law. Never really shot it to much as I remember, but my Dad took it over, still has it to this day and isnt parting with it!! 40 something years go by and I see a 1377 in Dicks Sporting Goods and cant resist buying it. Many modifications later I had a very nice shooter. The sickness takes hold! Add on a couple more 2240s, one of which I turned into a carbine and by the way, hits at about 550 fps +/- a few (Fred and I found this out today over the chrony). So, really a little more than a year of messing with basically all Crosmans.1377, 2240, 66, 1077,  1088, 357 and 114 (I also had an AutoAir II for a while). So now you get the picture. I am pretty much a rookie, with lets face it, lower end guns, but I do have to say that the #2 2240 pistol with the 10 barrel shoots sweet and the bulk filled 2240 carbine is a shooter that I just enjoy more each time I pick it up!

Now, I have been tempted to spring for something on the higher end, but to tell you the truth, I am having a ball going into these 13xx and 22xx pistolas and seeing how smooth I can make things work, so the outlay of money towards a higher end gun? Well until today, I only had it on the back burner. After today, the thought has moved right up front as the 1701P really made me smile! Im thinking that I may have seen Fred smile once or twice as well. 

This review, as you may have guessed is going to take a little bit of a different approach. Previous reviews have covered all the technical aspects of this fine little shooter. I am going to just tell you about what a fun time I had at Freds home, mixed in with the few times we werent swapping stories and actually paid attention to shot counts, pellets and accuracy.

A little bit about where we were shootingAs I might have mentioned in a previous thread, Fred lives in one beautiful place, nestled up to the south prong of Black Creek. He has targets set out to 80 yards and everywhere in-between. Spinners, cans, paper and a bat, yes, I liked that old bat, so much that I never shot at him! I am a dunderhead for forgetting my camera, cause I think you guys might be envious if I showed you his range, I know I am!

Not being a big socialite, I was a bit nervous about meeting Fred, but he soon set any fears and doubts I had to rest. With his gracious southern hospitality, I felt right at home with 5 minutes and we wasted no time breaking out the 1701P and pumping her up. Using the Benjamin pump, I had first go at it. Fred guided me through the steps of charging the pistol as I had never been exposed to an HPA gun before. The gun was charged at 1400psi when I got it and it only took me about 15-20 pumps to bring her up to 2500psi (really it could have been less). We set up a target at 10 meters, mounted my BSA Red Dot on it and proceeded to sling some lead downrange. The lead being pretty much Avanti Diablos and the box of CPs that were in the box with the gun.

After the first shot, I think we were both a little surprised at just how quiet this pistol is. Lets see if I remember this right.Fred, Is that it? Well, I was just as amazed as him. She needs no LDC as Im thinking that this puppy is pretty backyard friendly just the way she comes. Score one for quiet!  I then put about 10 or so shots out tweaking in the Red Dot. My RD is not the best, but hey, it is what I have and so it is what we had to live with. Not to shabby shooting for me, but I am not used to such a light trigger and to tell you the truth, I was pulling the shot, because it was firing before I was expecting it to. This got better as I shot, but I would rally need to burn though a few tins (or boxes) of pellets to get used to it. Also, I have no idea what a properly adjusted two stage trigger is suppose to feel like, but I could not feel any first stage! I was really hesitant about making adjustments, so I didnt. Like I said, the trigger is the smoothest I have felt and Fred told me straight out to make sure I mentioned that he liked this trigger. He even asked if we could get this on the aftermarket and already had a new build clicking in his head with this trigger assembly at the forefront, yes Fred, it was written all over your face!!! J

Well,   the day wasnt all about the 1701P, but a little but more!! Fred broke out his 2250 and told me about the repairs he had to make on it, and the Mountain Air Custom which is a beast!!! One sweet shooter indeed. Then he broke out his QB78 HPA or was it a 79 (sorry Fred). Anyway, like I said, until today, I had zero exposure to HPA guns. Man, I love the darkside! First the 1701, then a HPA rifle. I was shooting out at the 80 yard target and thinking I was hitting the can that is hanging out there, when in reality, I was hitting the backstop. We had a good laugh about that and then I proceeded to knock the 35 yard can about. It seemed childs play with that big 3x9x50 scope! Back to the 1701 we ran some chrony numbers and averaged right around 430 with a high around 450 and low of 420. We also ran my 2240 carbine across the chrony and I was getting a very disappointing mid 400s. I was sure that my Co2 was running low, so Fred says lets charge up that tank and try it again. And we did, as he has a Co2 bulk-fill set up (sweet!!!) Sure enough, I was into the mid 500s after the fill! Not where I want to end up with this gun, but at least I have a starting point to work from.

I could write about this day and my great host for another hour, but I doubt it will hold all of your attention much longer, you may not have made it this far. So all in all the 1701P gets two thumbs up from Fred and myself. More importantly, the 1701P brought together 2 guys that hold a pretty good passion for Crosman Airguns together today for a really, really good time! Once again, Thanks to you Fred, for being such a gracious host, to you Crosman for making the 1701P as I believe, even with my limited experience, that you have a sure winner.  Last but not least, to Randy and the gang at the Green for making the Traveling Show a reality. I have been a bit humbled by the experience, but it would take a pretty good slap to knock the smile off my face. What a great time it was! I hope you enjoyed this non technical review.

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Again I must say this was a very good review and I really liked and appreciated the different perspective approach you did.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

Thanks Carl. Your review pretty much covered ALL of the technical aspects of the gun. Truth be known is that Fred and I were like a couple of kids, shooting everything he had and what I brought with me. My fault for not paying more attention to the finer details, but another truth is that once you shoot this pistol, the WOW factor kicks in and things like shot count take a back burner to just plain shooting the puppy! I truly wish that I lived closer to Fred as I think we could become good friends. He thinks outside the box and likes to tinker........well, sounds like you for that matter  ;D
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22