too much maintenance

Started by millipede, July 19, 2011, 06:55:38 PM

millipede

well...  i dont absolutely need them, so they are expensive to me. just another accessory i guess. like buying a brass trigger kind of

1377x

millipede
you might want to re adjust that piston if its pushing the valve back
someone here made a cool little gadget that stops the hammer from hitting the valve
cant remember who it was .i know i sold him a lot of parts i guess thats how ill find him
closed mouths dont get fed

millipede

i could probably just glue a washer to the back or something...  my main problem is that my 22 will only release 25 pumps now instead of 30! what happened?  i didnt change a thing! i liked having those extra pumps. it seriously increased the power from what i can tell...  i dont have a chronograph so i rely on what the pellet looks like after shooting into duct seal from 100 feet. also at 25 pumps i can track the pellet through my scope. at 30 it would move too fast for me to really see

millipede

ive decided to just accept the fact that these guns will never be perfect for me. i love to tinker with them and i really have a good time taking them apart and putting them back together again! ive changed my mind again and think these guns really are worth every penny and ounce of energy i put into them. eventually ill be "finished" with them  :) but first:   MOAR POWER!!!

p.s. i just found out you can replace the hammer spring with a discovery spring. should i try one to get my gun back up to 30 pumps? im still pretty miffed about that...

P.P.S   i just ordered a 397 and a williams peep site!  it should be here by my birthday  WOOT!

slothart

Congrats on the 397 and the peep.  The benjamins are fun guns.

On the Discovery Spring... I've tried a bunch of different combinations for dumping more air that included heavier hammer springs on my 1377.  I would recommend using a power adjuster or a lighter valve spring over a heavier hammer spring.  The heavier hammer spring is the easiest to do, but I think you get more control out of the other two mods. 

just my opinion...
Crosman: 1377carbine / Beeman: Tempest / Benjamin: P-Rod, 310 & 342 / Sheridan: Blue Streak & Blue Streak Steroid (both rockers) / AA TX200HC

Smaug

Quote from: 1377x on July 19, 2011, 09:49:52 PM
i started a condor jar any extra funds i have go in there until enough is saved to buy one.my only problem is when a powderburner comes up at a great price the jar gets emptied.
Interesting. I'm doing the opposite now. I have plenty of powderburners, but no good airguns. I'm selling a powder burner (Para GI Expert 1911) to finance a nice air rifle, probably a Beeman or RWS. The Beeman HW70 pistol looks really nice too, for an indoor target gun.

Quotei have conversations with my air gunsmith about this all the time he just doesnt understand why people put all this money into a gun that wasnt built for the purpose they want from the jump.
I have to disagree with your airgunsmith about this. To me, the base design of the 1377 is good for 700 fps. It's just that they castrated it by using certain part materials to a price point. For example, with a minimum of valve, breech, and piston work, this can be a real 700 fps airgun, right? Going further and adding a longer barrel is beyond the original design, but these basic things are just making the original design more efficient, right? If the original design "wasn't designed for it" then we would also have to change the barrel and piston tube to handle the higher pressure. At least, that's how I see it.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

Smaug

Also, to your airgunsmith's last point, what pump .177 cal. air pistol is there that can do 700 fps from the getgo? None that I'm aware of.

RWS makes a barrel-breaker that I think does it, but there's no low-power option for indoor plinking or backyard plinking where someone wants to make sure he doesn't penetrate the fence if he misses.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

eric

"i have conversations with my air gunsmith about this all the time he just doesnt understand why people put all this money into a gun that wasnt built for the purpose they want from the jump."
"I have to disagree with your airgunsmith about this. To me, the base design of the 1377 is good for 700 fps. It's just that they castrated it by using certain part materials to a price point. For example, with a minimum of valve, breech, and piston work, this can be a real 700 fps airgun, right? Going further and adding a longer barrel is beyond the original design, but these basic things are just making the original design more efficient, right? If the original design "wasn't designed for it" then we would also have to change the barrel and piston tube to handle the higher pressure. At least, that's how i see it ."                                                                                                                                                                          i guess that depends on your thinking .my C9 or R9 wont't do 700fps and they are more than enough for MY purposes --- straight up stock ---- the 13xx series guns need to be modified to get there --- after that parts will wear and tear FASTER than stock ,more maintenance /money,etc ... great if you like that . you could spend 500$ to mod a crosman or you could get a steriod B/S or a decent springer or even a pcp and get more power/ better accuracy . just depends on what works for you . i would rather pump my C9 5 times than pump a 13xx gun 10 times to match the power levels but that's me .not your cup of tea --- that's fine --- it's all about having fun right ? 
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses