too much maintenance

Started by millipede, July 19, 2011, 06:55:38 PM

millipede

i'm getting the impression that these customized guns require far too much maintenance. so far i've built a 1377 and a 1322. i've had to buy so many things and drill/tap so many holes. almost every screw is stripped or on the verge of needing replacement. especially the stupid set screws. it doesn't help that nearly every replacement part is either plastic or aluminium. i wish i had realized this earlier and just spent all my money on a couple of classic guns that were well made to begin with. unfortunately both of my guns aren't anywhere close to being "finished" i still need metal barrel bands and figure out a way to secure the breech more firmly. finally i'll be done with this crappy process and can just shoot my gun without worrying about loose screws or wobbly fixtures or accessories!

quickster47 †

I must agree with the main theme of your post.  Right now I've slowed way down on doing many modifications to my guns and am really enjoying just shooting them.  And because most of my guns are where I want them, I am going through lots more pellets but because I'm not buying so many parts it is easier to afford more pellets.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

NorthStaR

Interesting view.  :-*

From my perspective, most of the parts I've selected for my builds have an initial aim of being an upgrade.
An improvement on the old or a replacement of an inferior part. For example; I have replaced the pump arm roll pin on my 1322 (Ex 1377)
with a solid steel pin. I have replaced my plastic breeches with steel or alluminium versions. Anything plastic is history. I see nothing wrong
with alluminium other than it can be too light when steel/brass's weight would be beneficial. I haven't had anything alluminium snap on me
and not many of the parts I have are alluminium. I do expect seals to fail eventually...  :-*

I would say that none of mine are built to have extreme power as I have to stay within legal limits. This can be a factor for parts stress.

I think parts selection is potentially a minefield. I have in the past bought parts off say Ebay that were a waste of time and money.
Therefore trusted recommended sources always seem a winner. But I am always willing to give something a go regardless of the pain
or reward.

Curiosity, you've built two pumpers and neither have barrel bands. I don't know what else is in them or on them but I wonder if these last parts will help
with the other parts longevity. Meaning when everything is secure, nothing can wobble and potentially damage or stress other parts.
I don't know, just a thought!  ;)

In closing I rarely, unless necessary, dismantle my guns once built and I like to try and do as much as I can in one hit to save removing
and refitting parts and screws. Mine become projects and then shot, rather than shot, modded, shot, modded.
But that's just me and not the way everyone lives and I am certainly not saying that's what you or anyone in particular does!   :)

All IMHO!  ;D
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

1377x

sorry you feel this way!
these are cheap guns from the start
i am more or less after power instead of bling.why didnt i just buy a condor  :-[ :P
i dont have the funds to go buy a condor out right so i started a condor jar any extra funds i have go in there until enough is saved to buy one.my only problem is when a powderburner comes up at a great price the jar gets emptied.
it all boils down to what you are after
if your after a $500 gun than get one
why start out with a 60 dollar gun then try to make it a $500 dollar gun while spending $1500 doing so.
i have conversations with my air gunsmith about this all the time he just doesnt understand why people put all this money into a gun that wasnt built for the purpose they want from the jump.
me i just like to mod things.
i have lost money doing so but it doesnt bother me because i am enjoying myself doing so.
gotta pay to play

closed mouths dont get fed

millipede

no they have barrel bands. theyre just plastic is all. i dont like how they fit. also i dont like how theres just one tiny screw holding on the breech (i have steel breeches btw) i know theres the big screw on the back also but i can still see that theres room for improvement.

p.s. ive done most of the things i can to get rid of all the plastic on my guns like you have. i just need the barrel band to finish it off....   i wish they werent so expensive   :(

after these are done im gonna get a 392, 397 and some kind of spring rifle. probably a ruger airhawk. and , well, i feel like i still need to get a 2250 and convert it to HPA.   AAAARGH!    lol

NorthStaR

Gotta laugh!  ;D ;D ;D   All true.  :-*

They are simple guns but I like them for that reason. They do end up costing more than a nice pre-made gun but for me it's fun, a hobby.
I'm more confident with these guns knowing the base cost if I mess up! Somehow it seems more reasonable and less expensive spreading the
cost on parts than buying that dream rifle. I've got other branded guns but as long as I can hit the target where I want it I'm happy.  :P

I've not really done much woodwork or metalwork before so for me this hobby/brand has been a good learning point. There's always something!  :o

Maybe I don't shoot as often as others or I spread it over different guns and the wear'n'tear is reduced/slowed.  ???

I prefer a Hot Rod to a Ferrari!
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Crosshairs

For me i just enjoy the challenge in makeing a one of a kind gun with my own hands, and then enjoy shooting them when there done we are such a small amount of people that can do what we do with our guns of all my friends im the only one who build's guns.  :-*
                                                                                 Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

arkmaker †

I'm one who has felt the same way as you, but when I'm feeling that way, I just put it all back together and shoot it for a while. Like now...with the exception of swaping out LDC's and grips I haven't been inside my guns for a couple of months.........Oh the urge to start something new is rolling in my stomach again!!

My 1377 needs a barrel band too (out of brass or stainless) and a flat top set up and a little valve work and maybe some grips and maybe a new RD and then let's not forget extending that barrel a bit and also might just add a stock and and that new idea I had for a muzzle brake and...............well, I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know!!

What's that you say about the HPA 2250???? That would complete my sickness (until the next time that is)  ;D ;D

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

slothart

Quote from: millipede on July 19, 2011, 10:19:08 PM
no they have barrel bands. theyre just plastic is all. i dont like how they fit. also i dont like how theres just one tiny screw holding on the breech (i have steel breeches btw) i know theres the big screw on the back also but i can still see that theres room for improvement.

p.s. ive done most of the things i can to get rid of all the plastic on my guns like you have. i just need the barrel band to finish it off....   i wish they werent so expensive   :(

after these are done im gonna get a 392, 397 and some kind of spring rifle. probably a ruger airhawk. and , well, i feel like i still need to get a 2250 and convert it to HPA.   AAAARGH!    lol

OT: Instead of the 392 or 397, you might want to check out a vintage Sheridan Blue Streak... there is a beauty of a 1970s blue streak available on the GTA classifieds right now for $130 (or he is willing to trade for a modded 22xx).  If I hadn't just bought an 80s blue streak a few weeks ago, i would have already snapped it up (I stared at it long and hard before I talked myself out of it).  If it is in as good of shape as he says and the pictures indicate, you would be getting a better gun for less money then what a current model 392 or 397 will run you.  Just my un-asked for $.02s.

*edit: http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php/topic,15539.0.html
Crosman: 1377carbine / Beeman: Tempest / Benjamin: P-Rod, 310 & 342 / Sheridan: Blue Streak & Blue Streak Steroid (both rockers) / AA TX200HC

quickster47 †

Quote from: slothart on July 20, 2011, 04:42:40 AM
OT: Instead of the 392 or 397, you might want to check out a vintage Sheridan Blue Streak... there is a beauty of a 1970s blue streak available on the GTA classifieds right now for $130 (or he is willing to trade for a modded 22xx).  If I hadn't just bought an 80s blue streak a few weeks ago, i would have already snapped it up (I stared at it long and hard before I talked myself out of it).  If it is in as good of shape as he says and the pictures indicate, you would be getting a better gun for less money then what a current model 392 or 397 will run you.  Just my un-asked for $.02s.

*edit: http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php/topic,15539.0.html

Ooh, very nice gun for sale.  Might have to give that one some serious consideration.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

AZAG

Quote from: 1377x on July 19, 2011, 09:49:52 PM
why start out with a 60 dollar gun then try to make it a $500 dollar gun while spending $1500 doing so.

You could start with a $500 gun and turn it into a $1000 gun for only $3000.  It's done with talon/condor all the time.

If the journey is as important as the destination then starting with $60 gun allows you to make the journey more often.

NorthStaR

Quote from: AZAG on July 20, 2011, 05:08:29 AM
If the journey is as important as the destination then starting with $60 gun allows you to make the journey more often.

Great analogy!  :-*

And a $1000 gun is only worth that if someone will pay it...  ;)
Double-tap!

JMJinNC

Methinks someone needs to invest in a torque-limiting driver... ;)

FWIW - I dropped about $250 turning my $40 refurbed PC77 into a quiet carbine... worth every penny, IMHO. No maintenance since the build was finished other than a few drops of 30wt. Now tinkering... that's a whole other ball game.

JMJ
John

millipede

Quote from: JMJinNC on July 20, 2011, 03:46:34 PM
FWIW - I dropped about $250 turning my $40 refurbed PC77 into a quiet carbine... worth every penny, IMHO. No maintenance since the build was finished other than a few drops of 30wt. Now tinkering... that's a whole other ball game.

JMJ

i sortof did that with my 1377 sniper build i just finished. i got all the parts relatively quickly and only had to take it apart a couple times to get it finished. one thing i learned: ALWAYS PIN YOUR VALVE with a flat piston! i didnt and the gun started shooting all over the place. i dismantled it and found out the valve was shoved way back onto the little dimple of the tube and the transfer port was severely misalligned!. so its in pieces right now until i can get that done.

but my 1322 on the other hand..  ive taken that apart and put it back together SO many times. its my tinker gun. the one i first built. i took it apart like 5 times just yesterday because the valve spring is so light that the hammer pushes the stem all the way in and it gets stuck sometimes. so i polished the entire stem and it seems to work. one thing that has me extremely annoyed is that before i did any of that i was able to pump it 30 times and it would release all the air in one shot. after the incident yesterday it will only do 25! WTFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!    im so annoyed...  i hope one of you can tell me something that can help me with this!

anyways... yeah, i have a tinker gun and a finished gun. i still like them both. theyre just in pieces right now 

whats sad is i just got almost a hundred dollars worth of pellets and cant shoot em  :(

NorthStaR

Quote from: millipede on July 20, 2011, 05:56:27 PM
whats sad is i just got almost a hundred dollars worth of pellets and cant shoot em  :(
;D ;D ;D And you said barrel bands are too expensive!  :D ;D ;D ;D
Double-tap!