2300S Review by Rookie Air Pistol owner!!!

Started by dunk50, July 20, 2011, 04:21:59 AM

dunk50

Alright, I will try and be as fair and objective as I can be. I first purchased a 1377 and for physical reasons (pumping) took it back. (Bad shoulders and elbows) I decided to go with the 2300S (CO2) and it arrived today. The 2300S has an optional barrel and Williams notched sight and you can read it's specs on Crosmans web sight. What I did was take it to the back yard at 10 yards and put 250 pellets and 3 CO2 tanks through it from my patio table rest to target. All I can say is this is what I was looking for. Once you get a system to loading it things go very smooth. You do need a system as the breech area is very small with the extended bolt.  I have four different types of pellets. All Crosman and it fed 3 very nicely. The 4th it did not like at all. Kept wanting to load them sideways. I did read about this earlier and it is true. I am certain that I am getting a good 60+ shots out of each CO2 cartridge but won't be able to check speeds till my Chrony arrives early next week. The pellets it did not like and kept wanting to turn sideways in the breech were the Premium Grade Precision Max pointed head. It's odd but the 1377 liked these pellets. The 3 types the 2300S fed without issue were the Destroyer EX, the SSP Supersonic Lead free alloy and the Premium Grade Precision Max Flat-Nosed. Now for the Williams sight, this thing is a work of Art with good solid clicks when you turn the wheels and the marks for both wind-age and elevation make for nice reference points. The only problem with these sights is my tired old eyes. Bifocals and open sights with distant targets just don't go together. I did put a spot of white out on the front post and that helped but a scope is in the near future. My RB Target grips will be shipped tomorrow. Soee what I will be doing next is ordering a muzzle brake. This pistol is louder than my Beaman SS1000 rifle. I will also be picking up a Red Dot or magnification scope. More to follow but I am excited about this pistol. Oh and one thing I did forget. I found the trigger to be a little stout so I removed the left grip and adjusted in down. NICE! I do have the means to weigh the trigger pull and will add those results later also. That's about it for now. And Mods, if this post is in the wrong place please move it.
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG VietNam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishing but I'm on here!

1377x

glad you found what you are looking for
congrats on the new rig
ill move this to the right spot
so it may be down or a second or 2
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

Glad you found what you were looking for that suits your physical constraints.  Doing that makes things so much better and more enjoyable.

The 2300S is a great gun.  I really think the only thing it needs is some trigger work.  Little polishing of the sear and maybe a lighter trigger spring will make it a new gun.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

dunk50

Carl, funny you mentioned the trigger spring, My wife has worked at a SPRING company for near 40 years. They make springs for nukes, subs, planes and MY GUNS. I had already asked her to bring me a rod to knock out any pellets that do happen to go in sideways. AS soon as I feel like taking it apart, I will have the current spring checked for size and weight tension and then have a couple more hand wound to my specs. I saw that the Baikal 46M adjust down to 14 ounces. Don't know how low is toooooo low but I am going to find out. More on that later also.
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG VietNam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishing but I'm on here!

T191032

And to think, we usually go to "Ace" Hardware for the springs.  You just send your wife to work for them.  ROFL!  :-*
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.