Steel Breech

Started by AZAG, July 22, 2011, 07:30:49 AM

AZAG

Steel Breech kits are available again.  They only lasted one day last time.

Smaug

How long between their production runs? I just checked their site today, and yes, they're out of them.

Someone at Crosman needs to have his butt fired. They are missing a big opportunity here, and giving up business to the aftermarket. I bet they are waiting until they have x number of people leave their email address to be notified of when they have more in stock, THEN they do a production run.

I filled in the form in, so we'll see how long it takes.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try to find another source for this part in the aftermarket. I wonder if I will find one before Crosman gets their act together?  ;)
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

L.O. Little

It could be that Crosman is getting a lot of orders for custom guns (CCS guns get priority)... If you're looking for an aftermarket breech, check out the Don Cothran SS breeches. They go for about $75, about twice the price of the Crosman kit, but they're worth every penny IMO. Pics and review:

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=4070.0

Dons site:

http://www.cothranmachine.com/
Lynn

eric

Quote from: L.O. Little on July 24, 2011, 07:27:43 AM
It could be that Crosman is getting a lot of orders for custom guns (CCS guns get priority)... If you're looking for an aftermarket breech, check out the Don Cothran SS breeches. They go for about $75, about twice the price of the Crosman kit, but they're worth every penny IMO. Pics and review:

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=4070.0

Dons site:

it's summer time(good Co2 weather) so i would put money down on this also
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

AZAG

The steel breech is also on the disco, right? So at home moders only get what falls through the cracks. If I do another build will probably go with an aftermarket breech.  Trying to keep cost under control for this first one.

slider

I got mine a couple days ago. I ordered it as soon as they sent me the email saying they were back in stock and it took 7 days to get it from the time I ordered it..Guess I was lucky. But it does look like they could keep them in stock because they know that they are in high demand. Seems like a very poor lack in judgement on someones part.

L.O. Little

You know, it's too bad Crosman doesn't offer versions of the 13xx & 22xx guns with steel breeches (besides the 22xx based CCS guns). Most serious airgunners would gladly pay $20 more for a 13xx or a 22xx with a steel breech. I say $20, because I'm fairly sure Crosman could add steel breeches to their current 13xx & 22xx guns for that amount and still make a good profit.
Lynn

Smaug

Quote from: L.O. Little on July 24, 2011, 07:27:43 AM
... If you're looking for an aftermarket breech, check out the Don Cothran SS breeches. They go for about $75, about twice the price of the Crosman kit, but they're worth every penny IMO. Pics and review:
Dons site:

Don mentions long, regular, and riser breeches are an option. Which one do I want?

He mentiones these are for Crosman 22xx guns. Would they work with my 1377?
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

L.O. Little

Quote from: Smaug on July 25, 2011, 06:19:50 AMDon mentions long, regular, and riser breeches are an option. Which one do I want?

Only the (SS) long and short breeches are actually in stock. The long breech is the same length (6.25") as the Crosman steel breech, that's the one I'd go for. It uses 2 grub screws to hold the barrel in place, a very good feature. It's the one in my pics.

Quote from: Smaug on July 25, 2011, 06:19:50 AMHe mentiones these are for Crosman 22xx guns. Would they work with my 1377?

Yep. When you order, select:

1. Right handed (if you want the bolt on the right side) or Left handed (if you want the bolt on the left side)

2. Old Screw Location (All 13xx guns use the old screw location, all 22xx guns can use the old screw location)

3. .22 or .177 caliber (the bore of all the breeches are the same, only the probe section of the bolt is different)

4. Tear Drop, Ball or Cylinder shaped Bolt handle

For reference, the one on my gun is Right Handed, uses the Old screw location, is .22 caliber, uses the Cylinder shaped Bolt handle, and is matte finished (AFAIK, all his current SS breeches are matte finished). FWIW, Don prefers the matte finish, as do I.
Lynn

eric

crosman makes their breech for the 2xxx series gun but it will work with a 13xx series ,dons are a copy of crosmans only in stainless steel .both may rock a little bit if at all --- considering the 13xx tube is 3/4"od and the 2xxx is 7/8"od .  i haven't a problem with a heavy scope mounted on my 13xx based guns using a crosman or other breech.
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

L.O. Little

Quote from: eric on July 25, 2011, 05:57:20 PMboth may rock a little bit if at all --- considering the 13xx tube is 3/4"od and the 2xxx is 7/8"od .

I've fitted a Crosman steel breech on a PC77 and a 2240. I've installed a Don Cothran SS breech on my PC77. It seemed like the Crosman breech fit a little bit better on my 2240, but I could be wrong. I'm happy to say the DC SS breech snugs down VERY tight on my PC77.  :)
Lynn