Chrome plating 22xx parts ...

Started by Washbush, August 03, 2011, 01:58:12 AM

Washbush

Greetings Everyone ...

I am sure this subject has come up before, but I can't seem to find any current, reliable information.  And, even though this subject could go in a number of places, this board gets far and away more hits than anywhere else.  So, excuse me if I am duplicating someone's effort.  If I am, just let me know where to find the info.

I want to put together a moded 2240 as a special gift for a great young man.  He will be 16 in December and he fancies himself quite a marksman.  He says he wants to try to shoot on the Olympic team some day.  So, I want to give him something for his birthday that will get his heart pumping really good. I want to assemble a chrome plated 22xx pistol, with brilliant polished scope, hand carved ivory colored target grips and all of this in a cherry display box with an engraved plate on the top. 

I have almost all the pieces, and they have had the bluing removed, sanded and buffed.  But, I have had no luck at all in trying to find a place to do the chroming.  The only buffing needed would be on the edge of the trigger frame, the trigger, sear and sear/trigger cover plate, the gas tube, barrel band, the 7 1/2" barrel and the standard Crosman long metal breech.  I have the ability to do some buffing myself, so I will do the barrel brake, scope rings and scope which are extruded aircraft aluminum.  I have started the grips and have most of the materials for the box.

I know ... many people feel that Stainless Steel is the only way to go.  I would do that if it didn't add the cost of an arm and a leg.  I like this kid a lot, but I'm in over my financial head already.  Actually, there is something about chrome for a "trophy piece" that can't be matched by SS in my opinion.  This gun will be shot from time to time, I am sure.  But, I think it will spend most of its life in the box.  I am just guessing at that though.

I have attached two photos stolen from various web sights.  One shows the chrome work that I want (I believe that the gas tube on this photo was the stock Crosman tube as the words stamped in it are still visible) and the second shows the color and somewhat general shape of the grips.  The presentation box will be lined with a maroon velvet cloth.  Maybe black. 

So ... can you give me some good advice on chroming pistol parts?  Does anyone know about a place that will do it without putting me in the poor house?  Any information that you think I need to know, send it on. 

Thanks very much for all the good ideas.  I will keep you all posted on my progress.

John "Shallow Pockets" Em
Bloomington, Indiana

Crosshairs

I would look at a harley davidson site im sure you will find something there for chrome plating  :-*
                                            Mike  http://www.customchromeplating.com/
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!