Partial CO2 cartridge

Started by aprayinbear, August 12, 2011, 01:53:41 AM

aprayinbear

For All You Experienced CO2 shooters,

Will it cause any damage to my 2240 (now 1740) if I leave a partial cartridge in gun for several days?  With an adjuster and with the converted .177 pellet.  I'm expecting between 50 - 60 good shots.  I usually shoot only 30-40 in a shooting session.  Hate to waste CO2.

What do you think? ???

Plasticman

My gun is 3 years old and I leave it with CO2 in it for weeks and have never had a problem. I keep CO2 in my other guns and some of them don't get shot for over a month as I don't shoot BBs very often.

mr007s

I have experienced no harm from leaving the gun charged.

NorthStaR

As long as the O-rings/seals are lubed it should be fine. It's only that old dry seals seem to warp if left gassed, specifically the one the
12g capsule rests on. It may be fine but when swapped out the next capsule may not seal. Generally though, it's fine IMHO.

Pressure on the valve is better than no pressure at all. It helps keep the seal and stops crud getting in by being sealed.  ;)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Crosshairs

Most do leave some Co2 in there guns to keep pressure on the valve seal and keep dirt out, myth or not im not sure if realy works but it shouldn't be a problem.  :-*
                             Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

quickster47 †

You must remember the advice Crosman offers up on this subject of leaving any of their guns charged is simply from a legalistic point of view, covering their butt in case of an accident, and from a marketing standpoint of wanting to sell more CO2 powerlets/cartridges.

Folks have been leaving their guns charged for years.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

Quote from: NorthStaR on August 12, 2011, 01:27:02 PM
As long as the O-rings/seals are lubed it should be fine. It's only that old dry seals seem to warp if left gassed, specifically the one the
12g capsule rests on. It may be fine but when swapped out the next capsule may not seal. Generally though, it's fine IMHO.

X2, this I believe as well. Only damage could be to compressing the valve seal over many years and the is replaced easy enough.
RIch
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22