Muzzle brakes

Started by mcc1961, August 16, 2011, 03:02:26 AM

millipede

dont you need a longer barrel to support the muzzle brake?

NorthStaR

Not necessarily, you can get UNF adaptors but I'm not sure if they're legal in the US. It puts a thread on the front of the barrel and allow you
to screw it on, whatever IT may be. Others more commonly seen from US members are ones that slip on and held one with a little grub screw(s).

Some pistols have a short barrel or are too close to the CO2 cap/tube so they need to be adjusted to allow for the access of the Co2 cap or
to allow for the gas tube. Normally a recess/scoop on the side that will be in the way.

And finally, a long running issue. Do people always mean a muzzle brake or do they mean another similar but different device.
Probably the most consistent and repetitive mistake made. The wrong name for a device. Sometimes it's the forum software changing
the Ssssh thingy tube name and other times it's just confusion.

Whatever the device; Yes, you can fit one to pretty much anything. But you may need a specific one or a custom one or an adaptor.

The latter may be a mod you do, if not available to buy.

Cheers  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

eric

Quote from: NorthStaR on August 17, 2011, 10:48:18 AM
And finally, a long running issue. Do people always mean a muzzle brake or do they mean another similar but different device.
Probably the most consistent and repetitive mistake made. The wrong name for a device. Sometimes it's the forum software changing
the Ssssh thingy tube name and other times it's just confusion.

Whatever the device; Yes, you can fit one to pretty much anything. But you may need a specific one or a custom one or an adaptor
a term that is mis used by many as well as a breech when really most folks are referring to the receiver
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

quickster47 †

Quote from: eric on August 17, 2011, 09:47:31 PM
A term misused by many as well as a breech when really most folks are referring to the receiver.

Couple of excellent points NorthStar and eric.  Unfortunately, when one uses the correct terminology one gets some rather strange looks.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

NorthStaR

I reckon there's one more; the lower receiver.  :P  Stop looking at me! :-X
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

hellgrips98

does ac custom muzzle have that thing inside like tko? im planning on getting ac instead if they have that thing inside like tko.... by the looks of it ac has better quality

http://hellgrips98.webs.com/ click here to see my exotic wood grips

Madkoifish

TKO and Cross mods I think are the only ones with "stuff" in, or sells stuff to put in. Latter requires their breech.
I do not think AC has anything inside. He does have a air stripper. There are a few who make threaded thingies. But I dunno if we can link to those or talk about those. Or where you would get a crosman barrel thingie for threaded thingies  O_o;'

Since shroud manu have been brought up I have a question regarding shrouds. If I have X-inches of barrel exposed from the band and want a shroud to cover it all. No gaps how much head room should I expect? How much gap is there between the end cap of the shroud and the barrel tip. And who makes what for the shrouds IE spacers inside with set screws to center the shroud or is it all free floated from the base?  Is this something that would be specific to the maker etc so on. I am looking at AC myself (though hard part is choosing finish on it since he offers way too many options lol) It is mostly for looks (to cover the flat spot and set screw divot) and hopefully some balance, protection, and maybe shhh effect or tone alteration.

1377x

Quote from: mcc1961 on August 16, 2011, 07:50:42 PM
I ordered a muzzle brake from mellonair for $15 total no tax or s/h fees ,I got the 4 1/2"x 3/4" inch and I have the stock barrel.Can't wait to see how it works and looks!
i have the same brake.mine is made of delrin  at the time thats all he offered
they are not backyard friendly but can be very easily.maybe that changed also
closed mouths dont get fed

mcc1961

What do you have to do to them to get it  backyard friendly?
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

tinker

FYI the AC Custom shroud is "neighbor" quiet enough.  I don't know whats inside but there is something and nothing "loose".
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

NorthStaR

Quote from: mcc1961 on August 18, 2011, 06:17:43 AM
What do you have to do to them to get it  backyard friendly?
;) That's the bit we can't discuss!  ;D  But Google will happily show you if you search the images engine.

Quote from: Madkoifish on August 18, 2011, 05:17:12 AM
If I have X-inches of barrel exposed from the band and want a shroud to cover it all. No gaps how much head room should I expect? How much gap is there between the end cap of the shroud and the barrel tip. And who makes what for the shrouds IE spacers inside with set screws to center the shroud or is it all free floated from the base?  Is this something that would be specific to the maker etc so on.

Maker  specific = yes!

I made a shroud using a 1" OD alloy tube with a 7/8" ID. Then I used endaps from another tube that were 7/8" for supports.
This is just for mounting the shroud to the barrel!  :)
Double-tap!

quickster47 †

Not real sure if Cobra Airguns is still doing business, although I believe they are, but they had an excellent shroud for the Crosman guns.

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Crosman_Shroud_p/cobra-22xx-shround.htm

It is MT on the inside except for the two mounting bushings, rear one drilled, so you can add what you think is the best product to arrive at a solution tailored for your needs.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Crosshairs

I just got a AC Custom muzzle brake and it fit's and works very good i do see something inside but not like TKOs brakes and the TKO brake seems a bit more back yard friendly.  :-*
                                            Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

1377x

i know a while back when you ordered a shroud/muzzlebrake from ac you had to request backyard friendly
that might have changed
closed mouths dont get fed

millipede

i got a 14 inch brake/shroud from AC for my 24 inch barrel. i put it on far enough so i can use the little dimple thats on the barrel already to secure the screw. that leaves about a 3 inch space inside between the end of the barrel and the hole in the shroud end. its really quiet because of that "dead space". theres nothing in it other than the bushing as was already mentioned to keep it more stable on the barrel.

i also got an air stripper from AC. i dont know the exact dimensions of it really. i just told him i was putting it on my 1322 with a 14inch barrel and he did the spacing for me (i mean he adjusted the cone to the right distance from the muzzle end) its very loud but it looks pretty badass