trigger stages

Started by mcc1961, August 25, 2011, 08:49:19 AM

mcc1961

What is the difference  in a 1 stage and a 2 stage trigger?
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

DRAGON64

Stage one is generally one long pull on the trigger... this can be bad, as you will tend to pull the muzzle of the rifle or pistol into the direction of the squeeze, and away from your target.  If you are shooting offhand, and notice alot of shots land to the right or left of your taget (depends on whether you are a lefty or a righty), then you are pulling the muzzle in the direction of the trigger squeeze.  Being mindful of this fact and using good trigger control can help, but more often than not, it is not enough.

Two Stage triggers are fun.  The first stage is a set-up stage, allowing you to put pressure on the trigger to ready your shot, and then the second stage is a short pull that usually does not pull the muzzle off target.  The second stage is generally set up real light, so that you have better trigger and muzzle control.  This is why I do not like to shoot other peoples guns, as they could have the trigger set so light on the second stage, that you could inadvertantly fire the rifle with the mere introduction of your finger prints... seriously!  Many target shooters set the second stage very light, so that they can fire quickly and precisely once their target has been acquired... I had one gentleman tell me that he could could fire his rifle with the mere heart beat pulsing through his finger tips  :o

Someone correct me if I am wrong...<cringe>
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

quickster47 †

Why You Want a Two-Stage Trigger!

Most civilian rifle triggers are single stage.  When you place your finger on it and apply pressure, the trigger shouldn't move at all, until it "breaks" and the gun fires.  If it does move, it's called "take-up", and usually considered a Bad Thing.

Actually, what I've labeled as "take-up" in the above paragraph is called creep, and trigger "creep" is what is considered a "Bad Thing."  Take-up is all together another phenomena.

So let's understand the differences between "take-up" and "creep."  Take-up is a wonderfully replicated feeling/action, found in 2 stage triggers, in preparation of firing, and creep is when you think you are trying to fire, but you just seem to keep pulling the trigger and it does not break cleanly.  Creep is found in both single and double stage triggers.

Now, why do those who have experienced a good 2 stage trigger want a 2 stage trigger?

First, gas guns require a far greater pull weight than bolt guns, to be safe/legal for competition.  So, when you must have a 4.5 lbs trigger, it's nice to split the weight between 2 stages, instead of one!

Second, many want a relatively heavy trigger for defense/law enforcement applications.

Third, there is a certain confidence in a 2 stage trigger.  You pull through the first stage, and when you get to the "stop", you know you are on the ragged edge, and any movement of the trigger will fire the rifle.  This is the way it is in a 2 stage match trigger.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

DRAGON64

My 1377R, PC77 & 1322 all have creep... a nasty grinding creep at that.  I need to polish the triggers more, to see if I can smooth that pull.  But even so, my triggers have always crept before firing... That would be the best mod anyone could ever devise for the 13XX pistols... an excellent 1 or 2 stage trigger.  The only two stage trigger I have seen for the 13XX pistols had lots of adjustent issues...
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

quickster47 †

Soon as Crosman officially releases their new 1701P/Marauder pistol trigger frame set with a working hammer there will be an excellent solution to the trigger problems with other Crosman guns.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

DRAGON64

Very nice set up... engineering was on the ball with this set up.