About air rifle

Started by tranminhdai, September 18, 2011, 12:58:49 PM

tranminhdai

I'm new to the forum, yet i want to learn more about the rules as well as knowledge about guns before i purchase them in the future. I have couple questions that i want to make it clear because it bothers me for awhile. I'm leaving in USA, Seattle, WA, so do i need to have a license to buy an air rifle ( hunting) gun? I did some research, and people keep talkig about gun with 12ft/lbs or more need to have license, but is it true? And what does it mean when you say 12ft/lbs  cause i coudn't find any answer. One last question is to hunt down rabbit, bird, etc... at which velocity does it work good. Thank you.

1377x

dont know about seattle,wa laws very from state to state
you might want to contact your local sheriff's department see what they have to say!
closed mouths dont get fed

grumpy

12 foot pounds is how much power the air gun puts out.

Crosshairs

I think the laws your are talking about are for people in the UK.
                                        Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

tranminhdai

Yup, it's from UK. I just wonder if it's the same in US

eric

laws are different here from the UK ---- no power restrictions .hunting game with an airgun might be dependent upon state laws ---- as 1377x mentioned each state will probably be different in one way or another --- best to check with state wildlife wardens,law inforcement officers and  the likes
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

JEBert

In Louisiana, all of the ways that it is legal to take animals including birds and fish and all of the rules about taking nuisance animals are included in the yearly hunting and fishing regulations that the LDWF publishes and they are free wherever you can get hunting and fishing licenses.  If I lived in Seattle, I would check where you get hunting and fishing licenses and/or with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

laptopdragon

there are laws in Seattle proper, but not surrounding counties.  's a gross misdemeanor to discharge an air gun in a public place

in fact, real swishers, or muzzle brakes (whatever you want to call em) are now legal at licensed ranges in the city, and everywhere (hunting )
also, you can get (just about) any airgun or rifle at walmart or sporting goods stores, (which also sell hunting / fishing licenses) if you are older than 18 (and 16 in outlying areas).

if you want, you can use my back fields too, they stretch out forever and are gated..

mid-March and as late as mid-July, is a banned time for crow hunting (nesting season) otherwise, as long as you have the space, and a clean backdrop, you should be fine..don't do it on a playground or in the city.   (incedentally, i see lots of archers at playgrounds, after hours all the time)

if you want to take a safetly class, i know a few local places where i sent my g.f. to learn before she could touch anything, and she was able to shoot every caliber south of .44mag and is good considering how girly she is.

laptopdragon

i would call your local sherrif, as they would know.
also, if you live in close proximity of neighbors, and are going to be loud, it might be nice to talk with them, and ask if there are any special hours of the day that they need peace and quiet, and respect that.

if they show fear or trepidations, then just say you will take it to ranges, (and then, if you have to, build an indoor range like the types ive seen on this forum)...and keep it quiet.

i have found that most people don't mind, and many other people are already doing it but i haven't noticed...and you just made a friend.

tranminhdai

thanks a lot, that's pretty much information that i need. Thanks for all the helps
Tran