Good news for us

Started by Crosshairs, September 24, 2011, 02:49:22 PM

1377x

Quote from: quickster47 on October 06, 2011, 05:27:54 PM
There really is no clear cut answer to this question.  Each state tends to have its own rules and those are based on guidelines from the US government.  But in most cases that have gone to court, airguns fail to be classified as firearms so the case of a shthing are thrown out.

Carl
its more the state its self than the US government.here's an example
there are only 2 states in the whole US that dont allow trigger devices for simulated full auto firing of a firearm.the bmf trigger activator gives the trigger a gattling gun effect,allowed by the atf in the whole US
mn and ca made them illegal in their states.even though illegal in theses states one could still get the device
just because its deemed illegal doesnt mean it can not be sold.the last i heard the US spends more money on illegal drugs than anywhere in the world.its up to the individual person to check the laws and decide if they want to be a criminal or law abiding citizen
look at the gamo whisper or the maurader being sold directly from the factory/company.why they can get away with it is anybody's guess.
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

Even the new .357 Crosman Rogue has a shroud and baffles and is supposed to be quiet when fired.  And that gun has been making the rounds of different States with no problem.  Go figure...

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

NorthStaR

It could be to do with the item being threaded or built in. Eg; a 1/2 unf thread versus a shroud?

One being deemed more permanent and potentially less adaptable?

One being sold factory quiet versus one that can be made quiet? 

Or just detachable?

I'm just throwing these ideas out, I have no idea!  ;)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

eric

factory quiet is exceptable legally --- made to on the other hand is questionable depending on location
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

quickster47 †

Quote from: eric on October 06, 2011, 11:29:23 PM
factory quiet is acceptable legally --- made to on the other hand is questionable depending on location

Both your point eric and Northstar's point are very plausible, understandable and probably the reality of the Crosman stuff.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

1377x

heres the other example of grey area US law
the thompson contender
its a pistol and a rifle by old US law that is illegal but thompson got to do it legally and no one else could do it legally.
recently the law changed to allow pistols to become rifles without a short barrel/aow tax stamp but iirc you still have to use a 16" barrel.if you ask 100 people including the atf, you will get 100 different answers
its always a grey area in the US
when it comes to airguns they are regulated by individual states,not the US government

cmj21973

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/TITLES.HTM
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/KYSL.pdf

Ok, so my understanding is that airguns & whatchamacallit's fall under Federal regs in KY.

1377x

Quote from: cmj21973 on October 07, 2011, 07:17:43 AM
http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/TITLES.HTM
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/KYSL.pdf

Ok, so my understanding is that airguns & whatchamacallit's fall under Federal regs in KY.
how did you come to this conclusion?
i didnt see anything in the second link or the first one but maybe i missed it

eric

airguns ARE NOT federally  regulated  ---- they ARE NOT fire arms ----- some states will regulate them (air rifles and/or air pistols) for what ever reasons they have
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Crosshairs

Quote from: eric on October 07, 2011, 05:10:04 PM
airguns ARE NOT federally  regulated  ---- they ARE NOT fire arms ----- some states will regulate them (air rifles and/or air pistols) for what ever reasons they have
x2     Thank you eric  :-*
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

cmj21973

Quote from: 1377x on October 07, 2011, 04:54:06 PM
how did you come to this conclusion?
i didnt see anything in the second link or the first one but maybe i missed it

1) As the two previous link, covering state & local firearm regs,  define a firearm as weapons that expels a projectile by an explosive. Therefore, airgun not a firearm.

2) As the two previous link, covering state & local firearm regs, don't mention anything about a shh for airgun or firearm. They must fall under Federal regs. The ones for firearms are legal to own/possess here, if you pay $200 and apply for permit per Federal reg.

Seeing as there are NO Federal regs on airguns, a shh designed/made/sold  for or on an airgun falls in the grey area. ;)

This is the only document that even mentions airguns.
http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/1112huntingguideentire.pdf

catapult

no, an airgun is not a firearm,

but a whatchamacallit IS considered to be, if you can put it on a firearm.  Thats why guns like the gamo whisper and full barrel shrouds are OK

NorthStaR

Also commercial shrouds are in general internally different to a Ssssh tube but both can reduce the report.
The difference in tech may account for one being OK over another.
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Make MY day

In NJ, any Airgun, whether it shoots pellets or just air, are considered Firearms and regulated.  But then to, are Slingshots and Peashooters.  The funny thing though, is that the same people who pushed for laws like these are the same ones who, if they move to states like Florida, after getting their DL changed, they go right out and purchase a handgun then get a CCW permit. 
With age comes skills.
It's called 'Multi Tasking'.
I can
Laugh, Cough, Sneeze, Fart and Pee all at the same time.

dpricenator

Mike at TKO22.com went in to a ton of detail regardign the rules and why they exist.  Let's just say, on the phone he does not call it a muzzle brake.  Also his Muzzle brakes could not be installed on a firearm, as they would explode into a million pieces from the muzzle blast.  Since AGs are not firearms and this part could not be installed on a firearm, the muzzle brake is not claasified as a firearm, or illeagal.  of ocurse all this is going to up to the interpretation of your DA, should you run into issues.  I'm certainly not going to walk down the streets waving mine around.  But i'll be danged if my gun doesn't sound like a quiet fart.