MUZZLE VELOCITY QUESTION

Started by Themajickman, November 24, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

JEBert

In my guns anyway, the heavier pellets are more accurate.  I am not sure about humane kills with rats as none of them I have shot have ever gone anywhere even with light pellets.  However, I imagine that even at slower speeds, heavier pellets will take out rats just a well as the lighter ones, maybe better.  I prefer accuracy.
IMMHO only and as always, YMMV.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Themajickman

After evaluating all of the variables presented here I decided to purchase with a Gamo 7.1 gr. PBA lead free (copper) pellets.
Got this off a website:

"Gamo PBA Bullet .177 (per 150) - 632272054
Gamo .177 cal. PBA® Bullet - A PRECISION NON-LEAD HUNTING PELLET WITH TRUER FLIGHT, LONGER SKIRT & GREATER PENETRATION.
Copper retains 100% of its weight after expansion, retaining velocity/energy â€" creating less ballistic drag. The shape and long skirt create a flatter trajectory and tighter group patterns. Terminal impact for a clean, vital shot kill. The PBA® Bullet produces 30% More Terminal Impact.
- Caliber: .177
- 7.1 gr
- Per 150
- Type: PBA, Lead Free
Crosman 2300KT: .177  10.1" :  Black muzzle brake: Long Steel breech & Bolt - Shoulder Stock
Ruger Mark I: .177 Break Barrel pistol
Smith & Wesson 78g
Crosman Phantom 1000

I'm paralyzed from the neck down so my wife does all the shooting! I'm still the ringleader (voice control technology rocks!) and keep getting myself new toys for her to shoot.....I live my life through her. :-)

JEBert

Let us know how they work.  Inquiring minds want to know.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

quickster47 †

It will be interesting to read your report on those Gamo pellets because most folks don't seem to care for their pellets.  They also have some pretty shady business doings from what I've read.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Themajickman

Shady business doings  :(  . Hopefully because I ordered through Amazon any of their shenanigans should be transparent to me.

Since the gun is on order and it could be here before Christmas my wife is getting quite antsy about getting to shoot these to see how they perform. I'm thinking about buying a break barrel rifle for her to start plinking around with in the meantime.   :-*
Crosman 2300KT: .177  10.1" :  Black muzzle brake: Long Steel breech & Bolt - Shoulder Stock
Smith & Wesson 78g
Crosman Phantom 1000

I'm paralyzed from the neck down so my wife does all the shooting! I'm still the ringleader (voice control technology rocks!) and keep getting myself new toys for her to shoot.....I live my life through her. :-)

1377x

you know we are going to need a range report on the gun and ammo when you get them!
closed mouths dont get fed

ceejay

Interested in your results also. I've shot a few Raptor's in my 'stock' 1377 - they are faster than lead and penetrate well, but seem quite "hard" and have little expansion.

Crosman 150 - 357 - 3576 - 1377 - M417
Crosman 1077
Gamo PT-85
Remington 1911RAC

Full_Of_Air

Interesting... I read this thread and decided to order a tin if Gamo PBA in .22 cal.

Themajickman

Since the 2300 KT won't arrive until around Christmas, I went ahead and ordered an inexpensive Ruger Mark .177 break barrel pistol from Wally world last night. We'll be picking it up this morning and mounting a red dot/laser sight on it. It definitely won't be as accurate as the 2300 but at least it's something to shoot. Supposedly it will shoot at 600 FPS, which isn't too shabby. We'll see.....
Smith & Wesson 78g
Crosman Phantom 1000

dpricenator

In alot of cases heavier and a bit slower still carries more energy.  I wouls not use PBA or lead free pellets in anyof my guns, if for no other reason than......if the technology was more than gimmick, the higher end pellets manufacturers would have begun doing it as well. 

As far as Gamo's shady business, it has less to do with individual purchases, and more to do with things on a larger scale.  Gamo filmed a video of a guy using a PBA pellet to dispatch a hog, which is inhumane and irresponsible advertising at the minimum.  They also, pretty blatanly stole the design for thier redfire polymer tipped pellets from the Predator Polymag.  Patent lawsuit in process now.  Most of us hope Gamo loses, and the orginal designer gets paid.

RC1947

Makes me glad that I've never ordered anything Gamo. RC

1377x

Themajickman
thats a pretty cool red dot

quickster47 †

Do you have the red dot in hand?  Does the laser come on when you turn the red dot on or is there a momentary switch you mount?

Pretty cool.  Never seen that one before your post.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 †

Never mind, just found the instruction set for the device.

http://www.ncstar.com/TechSup/DLB140R.pdf

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

1377x

seems to be a pretty decent rd/laser combo
3moa dot is what a lot of high end rd's come with.objective is a lil big for my tastes but i like it all the same