MUZZLE VELOCITY QUESTION

Started by Themajickman, November 24, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

Themajickman

I'm relatively new at this so please bear with me. I have a 2300 KT (.177) on order for my wife with a 10.1" barrel. She'll be using Crosman High Velocity Lead Free 4.0 grain pellets for both target and rat control. Can anybody give me an educated guess on what muzzle velocity (FPS) I can expect with this combination?
Crosman 2300KT: .177  10.1" :  Black muzzle brake: Long Steel breech & Bolt - Shoulder Stock
Ruger Mark I: .177 Break Barrel pistol
Smith & Wesson 78g
Crosman Phantom 1000

I'm paralyzed from the neck down so my wife does all the shooting! I'm still the ringleader (voice control technology rocks!) and keep getting myself new toys for her to shoot.....I live my life through her. :-)

1377x

i cant give you a velocity answer
but can tell you those pellets arent known for their accuracy.if you tried them and acurracy is there then that will the first i have read.
fpe is more important than velocity for pest control
closed mouths dont get fed

Themajickman

We haven't tried the pellets yet so I can't speak to the accuracy issues. Do you have any suggestions on which pellets would be more suitable? Thanks
Crosman 2300KT: .177  10.1" :  Black muzzle brake: Long Steel breech & Bolt - Shoulder Stock
Smith & Wesson 78g
Crosman Phantom 1000

I'm paralyzed from the neck down so my wife does all the shooting! I'm still the ringleader (voice control technology rocks!) and keep getting myself new toys for her to shoot.....I live my life through her. :-)

1377x

i know there are some posts here about velocity
i can see what they are putting out and get a better answer for pellet choice
i am sure someone else will chime in with suggestions also
so one way or another you will soon get a answer!

Themajickman

Thanks for the information, in the meantime I'm going to do some searching and see what I can come up with.
Smith & Wesson 78g
Crosman Phantom 1000

quickster47 †

Here are some number from my 2300KT shooter which is very similar to your 2300T.  Same caliber and same LW barrel.  My numbers were gathered using 7.0 grain wadcutters.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Themajickman

That's great information. Gives me a good idea of what I'm to expect. So let's up the ante a bit. How much more velocity and energy can I suspect if I go to a 14 inch barrel? Is there a formula that lets you know how many FPS increase for each additional inch of barrel length?
Smith & Wesson 78g
Crosman Phantom 1000

quickster47 †

Well there is sort of a de facto standard that says you get about 10 FPS per inch.  Not totally accurate but close.  I think I have some numbers from a 14" barrel somewhere.  Let me see if I can find them.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

My stock 2300KT is shooting around 530 fps with a 7.0 grain pellet.

I would suggest using pellets at least 7-10 grains in weight. For general plinking, most any Crosman pellet from WalMart is fine. I use RWS Hobby and JSB Exact for velocity testing and general fooling around. If you want to do more serious target shooting with high accuracy, look at offerings from RWS, H&N, and JSB.
Larry

1377x

for pesting with low power less than 600fps .177
i would use crosman hunting pointed pellets or some rws super pointed pellets
i found that destoyer ex or any hollow point other than predators dont get the needed penetration

Themajickman

I guess I was under the impression that the Crosman high velocity lead free hollowpoint pellets would put me over the 600 FPS mark. Another alternative would be buy a 14"(at least) 22 barrel and bolt.
Smith & Wesson 78g
Crosman Phantom 1000

1377x

Quote from: Themajickman on November 24, 2011, 09:20:12 PM
I guess I was under the impression that the Crosman high velocity lead free hollowpoint pellets would put me over the 600 FPS mark. Another alternative would be buy a 14"(at least) 22 barrel and bolt.
ir would likely put you over the 600 mark but at 4gr the fpe would be close to 3.2 fpe which less than minimal for humane kills
your barrel would literally need to be point blank if not touching the rat
a 7.4gr pellet going 500fps would net you at 4.1fpe imo still underpowered
14".22 barrel lets say 450fps using a 14.3gr pellet would get you 6.4fpe that would be the minimum i would use for pesting
check this link out it should be helpful
http://www.beemans.net/field%20use.htm

1377x

Themajickman

I'm definitely going to take some time and read it all.  Happy thanksgiving to all
Smith & Wesson 78g
Crosman Phantom 1000

Smaug

These are also 4 gr. pellets, and in my experience are a lot more accurate than the Crosman SSP.

I bought a tin of the pointed SSP pellets. I shot about 30 of them, a few in all my guns, before deciding they are just inaccurate. I gave the rest of them away. I hated to lose the tin though, it was a good tin.

I've also found that Skenco Pointed Poly Match are better penetrators than 7.3 gr. lead domed pellets, at least against a 10 oz. orange juice bottle.

Any of these at a rat should be plenty of medicine. The polymer tip of the Skenco is harder than a pointed lead or tin tip, and I think they'll penetrate more than a comparable metallic pellet.

If I were the one shooting them, I'd decide between JSB Exact RS domes at 7.3 gr. and Skenco Pointed Poly Match.

As for velocity, I can't tell you out of a 2300, but out of a 1377, a 7 gr. pellet at 10 pumps is about 510 fps. The Skenco moves out at 653 fps. My 1377 is about the same power level as a stock 2300, maybe just a touch less powerful.

On rats, I wouldn't worry so much about being humane. They're pests, not game animals. We don't worry about poisoning them, or putting down glue traps. I would argue that an inhumane kill with a pellet gun is still better than a long, starving death in a glue trap.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56