USPS Mailing Air Pistols

Started by sandpiper, March 27, 2012, 01:01:58 PM

1377x

Quote from: sandpiper on March 28, 2012, 06:33:13 PM
If you received an official apology our question is answered. I am curious about the wording in the DMM though because I can see how the post office personel would be confused, assuming you're referring the same section.
"
11.1.1 Definitions
The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of which is regulated by this standard.

b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.

c. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, designed to, or that may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon."
question answered
we are not usps lawyers
if one was here they would have spoke up by now.maybe but thats not the case
we cant interpret that.
closed mouths dont get fed

eric

so best use your better judgement  --- as you can see folks use usps to ship the airguns and will continue to use usps until they scan every package and folks end up with HUGE FINES AND OR JAIL TIME . i will continue to use them if the need comes up again .........  :P   
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

woody67

I hate this thread as much as I hate the 'for seen somewhere else on the net' thread.

They're both annoying and I don't care about either one of them.
I need my volcano now. Goodnight.

arkmaker †

Good point Eric, I admit to using the USPS to send Air Guns in the past, but I also admit, than other than the Co2 part, I was ignorant to the facts that it looks like a state to state issue. Opps......once sent an airgun with a co2 bulb in it and another pressurized. Again, my own ignorance and lack of common sense  ???   I am going to do a little research on my own about it as far as Florida vs the US. If I find out anything else other than what has been stated thus far, I'll post about it.

Rich
Live and Learn (uh, learning is just as important to the living part)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

eric

the united states of AMERICA isn't very united and with each state having different laws for all kinds of things the grey areas can be hard to tell from the black and white ones ......... the said laws say fire arms(a federal thing) and yet airguns are not considered firearms(federally) ,yet some states will consider some or all airguns fire arms (again the united thing  ;) :) ) so maybe since the usps is federal  ???  they will take into account ALL STATES if pressed, but again i will use them until they say no

eric

Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an Adult Signature service under 503.8.0. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations. SO THERE IT IS http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm