USPS Mailing Air Pistols

Started by sandpiper, March 27, 2012, 01:01:58 PM

sandpiper

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before but a search didn't produce anything so I'm starting this thread. While at the post office the other day I asked the clerk about mailing air pistols and she wasn't sure but said she didn't think it was allowed. I just checked the USPS website and the below text is what I found. The question is, what is "enough force to be used as a weapon". Any thoughts?

"Summary C024 describes other restricted or nonmailable items (e.g., firearms, sharp
instruments, controlled substances, pesticides).
1.0 PISTOLS, REVOLVERS, AND OTHER CONCEALABLE FIREARMS
Definitions
The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:
a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of
which is regulated by this standard.
b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single
hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion,
spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force
to be used as a weapon."

http://pe.usps.com/archive/pdf/dmmarchive0810/c024.pdf

Crosshairs

Quote from: sandpiper on March 27, 2012, 01:01:58 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before but a search didn't produce anything so I'm starting this thread. While at the post office the other day I asked the clerk about mailing air pistols and she wasn't sure but said she didn't think it was allowed. I just checked the USPS website and the below text is what I found. The question is, what is "enough force to be used as a weapon". Any thoughts?

"Summary C024 describes other restricted or nonmailable items (e.g., firearms, sharp
instruments, controlled substances, pesticides).
1.0 PISTOLS, REVOLVERS, AND OTHER CONCEALABLE FIREARMS
Definitions
The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:
a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of
which is regulated by this standard.
b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single
hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion,
spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force
to be used as a weapon."

http://pe.usps.com/archive/pdf/dmmarchive0810/c024.pdf

Well that is a funny thing many members will call a air gun a weapon i never do because it's not a weapon. A weapon is used to  protect yourself to kill, hunt ect.With all of my training with guns this is what i was told. Now firearms are another thing if you dont use a gun as a weapon meaning for target shooting it is a firearm. At the range i shoot at we all a trained not to call them weapons.
                                                   Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

eric

most of the air guns i have came thru the usps --- priorty mail mostly .if asked you can say is it sporting goods .i  sent out  my CR160 thur the usps --- no problems .if it is a firearm and they happen to check ,there might be a problem though
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

woody67

I was at the post office yesterday mailing 9 or 10 packages. 2 of them were guns--a 2240 and a 357.
I had them wrapped in so much paper and taped up with about 15 pounds of heavy duty tape (good luck opening your packages guys!)...
They didn't look like guns at all, but I just packed them in padded envelopes and sealed them.

When I got to the counter the lady asked if I had any hazardous material, chemicals, etc. I said yes, there's Co2 in one of these. She didn't know what Co2 was, so I said, it's what makes soda bubbly. She goes, "oh that's not hazardous" and she continued on processing my packages.

Either way, I sent guns and co2 carts withought an issue. I was thinking about it, and at this point, I don't think the U.S. Post Office can afford to care what gets sent in packages. Their financial situation is unbelievable, and they need as much liquid revenue as possible.

KevinP

I always put it down as  " machined parts ".... :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

breakfastchef

Air guns are not firearms (i.e. no FFL required), so shipping USPS should not be a problem. Some of my airguns were delivered to me via USPS and I always send items for repair USPS.
Larry

woody67

Quote from: KevinP on March 27, 2012, 03:21:07 PM
I always right it down as  " machined parts ".... :-*

I did that at UPS last week. The satelite location I ship from doesn't let me ship any type of gun period.
So I turned the box inside out, taped it up nicely and brought it in. When they asked what was in it, I said 'parts'

Didn't mention they were all together and formed a beast of an airgun....

Crosshairs

UPS will ship guns to and from dealers only.
                     Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

turbonoma

I recently tried to purchase a p-rod .22cal with an LW barrel and asked it be shipped via usps and the owner said they would not accept it. The other carriers wanted an arm and a leg for shipping. Finally the deal didn't go through. I was really disappointed because it was a very good deal. The owner kept the gun and sold the .22 barrel and bought a .117 barrel. :(

RC1947

Quote from: turbonoma on March 27, 2012, 04:44:59 PM
I recently tried to purchase a p-rod .22cal with an LW barrel and asked it be shipped via usps and the owner said they would not accept it. The other carriers wanted an arm and a leg for shipping. Finally the deal didn't go through. I was really disappointed because it was a very good deal. The owner kept the gun and sold the .22 barrel and bought a .117 barrel. :(
I encountered a similar situation when trying to get a dealer to mail me an air pistol using USPS; didn't happen. RC

Mark5043

Quote from: breakfastchef on March 27, 2012, 03:31:28 PM
Air guns are not firearms (i.e. no FFL required), so shipping USPS should not be a problem. Some of my airguns were delivered to me via USPS and I always send items for repair USPS.
That is correct.Air guns ship no problem...You can even ship a black powder arm,since the USPS goes off the Federal definition of a fire arm,and a Cap,and ball pistol or black powder rifle falls outside of that definition.""I called to verify this in the Spring of 2010". Rules do change,so better to confirm this yourself before hand. That being said,be careful here,as some States consider black powder guns a firearm regardless of the Federal definition.If you send a black powder arm to one of those states,even though you can ship it with no problem,you really need to make sure that you ship to someone that has an FFL,to protect yourself legally.Once your package crosses into an FFL State,from a non FFL State,and you didn't do the research before hand,can bring trouble.Also,Some States do consider air guns firearms as well,and do require FFL,so the same would apply."In Illinois a buyer has to have a FOID card to purchase,an air gun through someone who has a valid FFL.Some places are ridiculous,and consider almost anything that shoots a metal projectile a firearm.Not only is it important to check the State law where your airgun is going,but the County,or City regs,as well,as laws can get confusing.

Mark

woody67

Quote from: Crosshairs on March 27, 2012, 04:41:53 PM
UPS will ship guns to and from dealers only.
                     Mike

Mike I think that depends on the state, because I get guns shipped via UPS and FedEx straight from PyramydAir all the time. I read that PA can only ship to dealers in states where a license is needed for a gun (like NY), and you have to go pick it up from them.
Unless you meant real guns---I wouldn't know about that..

Mark5043

Quote from: woody67 on March 27, 2012, 06:46:03 PM
Mike I think that depends on the state, because I get guns shipped via UPS and FedEx straight from PyramydAir all the time. I read that PA can only ship to dealers in states where a license is needed for a gun (like NY), and you have to go pick it up from them.
Unless you meant real guns---I wouldn't know about that..
That's right...it depends on location.

woody67

So I guess it would be illegal for me to send an airgun to someone in a state where a license is required. For example, if I sold a gun to Mike, I should send it to a local dealer so he could pick it up there?

I wonder who would get in trouble if the package got stopped.

Mark5043

Quote from: woody67 on March 27, 2012, 07:11:17 PM
So I guess it would be illegal for me to send an airgun to someone in a state where a license is required. For example, if I sold a gun to Mike, I should send it to a local dealer so he could pick it up there?

I wonder who would get in trouble if the package got stopped.
Correct...However,you could always break it down,and send the parts.But keep in mind,that under Federal Law it's the part that has the serial number on it that is considered the firearm,or restricted item etc.Most other parts are generally okay..."Again always check it out". Here's an example....Let's say you ship Mike a slide to a .45 auto,and that slide has a serial number on it....That slide IS the firearm,just by itself.What makes the issue confusing is that on the Federal level the law doesn't consider air guns or cap,and ball black powder guns a firearm,but on the State,County,and City level the definitions can get tweaked,for that specific area.It's of the utmost importance that you check all laws,as the responsibility falls on you.That being said I've shipped hundreds of air gun "Parts",and not had an issue.To answer the last part of your question, generally it's the seller that gets busted.But the buyer could also get in trouble for possession of a controlled item....hope this helps.