valves and pistons?

Started by CHRIS K, May 01, 2012, 06:26:34 PM

CHRIS K

i keep reading about Delrin and Aluminum pistons. what is Delrin? which is better?
help this newbie!

eric

delrin is like a machinable plastic  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene which is better might be subjective because of which application it is being used for . for a piston, it will be lighter and can crack and break .it may be cheaper than alumunim but if it breaks you will replace it vs aluminum will probably never crack or break so no need to replace it .as for performance, i would say they are the about the same
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

1377x

Eric nailed it .imo
i had a deirin piston break but the maker replaced it. no problem with the replacement i have it adjusted correctly this time around.
closed mouths dont get fed

CHRIS K

thanks for the info. i'm liking this new hobby.

CHRIS K

you say "lighter" ? for overall weight of gun, or performance?

eric

it will be lighter than aluminum and by how much who knows  ???  .whether it would be lighter than the stock oem piston i can't say .it will have nothing to do with fps/fpe performance .it could give the shooter different characteristics that might influence the performance of the gun though --- making the gun lighter or heavier (like brass) so some may want to take that into account, but between delrin and aluminum the weight difference probably wouldn't be noticeable
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

1377x

steel or brass pistons weight is noticable
didnt notice a weight increase with the delrin piston
performance is the same with any of them
closed mouths dont get fed