Got a new (to me) Crosman 88 Skanaker

Started by Cowray, May 11, 2012, 03:45:15 PM

Cowray

Sorry about the crappy phone picture but I had to show off my newest toy. Got it last night. Only shot it once, but it is very cool.

[attachment deleted by forum software]

breakfastchef

Nice find. Let us know how it shoots after you have time to put a tin through it. I have read very mixed reviews on this pistol.
Larry

sandpiper

cmj21973

arkmaker †

I've always like those pistolas!! Happy shooting. Let's see if you can hold it straight in a few of the monthly comps!! I don;t think we have had any Skanaker comps shot yet that I can remember..............GO 4 IT

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

BDS

Skanaker, Crosmans attempt at Olympic class shooting, and many were excellent pistols.

If it's a good one, it will likely out-shoot your capabilities (one hole at 10 meters) I know it would for me! ;)
Brian

Cowray

breakfastchef

Quote from: Cowray on May 11, 2012, 05:10:25 PM
What makes a bad one?

The cons of the Skanaker I have read about on the Internet...

It is loud
It shoots a bit too hard (600fps) causing some degree of recoil. Not what one wants in Olympic competition
The barrel has to be moved to reload every shot which could, in theory, cause accuracy issues
The trigger was not on par with the competition (i.e. FWB or Walther)
The adjustable grips sometimes did not fit the shooters hand well
Many leaking cylinders
Rear seal popping out of the gun and the lever not locking the barrel down tight enough
And, today, parts availability are pretty slim to non-existant

Mac1 used to do modifications of the Skanaker with a longer barrel and in .22 for field target. If you have any problems or questions, perhaps Tim would be the guy to call.
Larry

arkmaker †

Does anyone know where the name came from or what it means??  ???

I can't even say it, never mind tell you  :D
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

Quote from: arkmaker on May 11, 2012, 06:56:25 PM

Ragnar Skanaker was a Swedish Olympic shooter waaaay back in the day. He helped develop some of the "oddities" we now see as std on many Olympic style pistols.
Brian

breakfastchef

Quote from: arkmaker on May 11, 2012, 06:56:25 PM

The pistol was named after Swedish free-pistol champion, Ragnar Skanaker, from the late 80's. I assume he must have had input into the design and features.
Larry

Cowray

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed