Upgrading my trigger frame to 1701p

Started by Fronzdan, June 12, 2012, 08:45:39 PM

Fronzdan

Inspired by the "It's really been quiet around here" thread I thought I'd post about my latest mod - using a 1701 trigger frame/group on my 2240.  Because of the informative posts here, this was an easy upgrade.

I ordered the trigger group from Crosman and it arrived a week and a half later. The only thing that was a surprise to me is that it did NOT come with the safety spring/ bearing, the trigger stop grub screw or either of the frame mounting screws.  I need to locate a trigger stop screw...any ideas (besides ordering one from Crosman)?

As detailed elsewhere, this trigger is just a lot better design.  I still need to figure out how to lengthen the first stage, because it's very short.  Gone is that metal on metal feel, even though I polished the OEM parts to a mirror.

Immediately after ordering the trigger group, I contacted Charles Mellon for a solid hammer.  That took a while to arrive as Charles is currently swamped with work.  But like all his stuff, its a really nice piece.  Very nice fit and finish.  I may pull it out and polish the hammer and tube as it seems ever so slightly harder to cock than with the OEM hammer.  I'm thinking this is because of the increase in surface area on the hammer.

One thing I noticed, but am still confused why, is that I needed to trim the length of the rear frame screw.  I guess there is a slight difference in the 1701 frame??  Anyway, the screw was hitting my spring adjuster and binding it.  I shortened the screw and I was good to go.  As someone mentioned here...be sure to release the sear by pulling on the trigger when mounting the tube on the frame...otherwise you could be tightening down against the sear.

The frame itself has a different finish than the 22xx and 17xx frames I have.  It seems more matte.   Still painted and seams still visible., but maybe less noticeable because of the finish.

When I first got it mounted, something was a bit goofy because the sear wouldn't engage when cocking every time.  I took it all apart, remounted and now it cocks cleanly every time.

The trigger is just much much better. I don't think any amount of polishing a spring lightening would every get the standard one this good.  I haven't hade a chance to put many rounds through it yet.  I need to resight and readjust power.

BDS

Good report...

Interesting that the casting "seams" are still there, you would think at the level ($$$) the P Rod sells for, that Crosman would upgrade the cosmetics a tad?  ???
Brian

quickster47 †

Interesting that you were missing the safety ball bearing and the ato screw. Out of probably 15 frames I've ordered never found anything missing.

Check the bottom of the spring, in the grease, for the ball.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

All four P-Rod grip frames I ordered shipped with no ots or safety spring/ball.

I found no need to adjust the stages on my frames from the stock settings from the factory. It is so nice to finish that first stage while aquiring the target and knowing that the next nudge will fire the pellet.
Larry

JEBert

QuoteI need to locate a trigger stop screw...any ideas (besides ordering one from Crosman)?
My EVP shows the 1701p trigger frame already drilled and tapped for a trigger over-travel adjustment screw.  All of the Crosman frames I have seen that are already tapped are for 8-32 threads.  Any hardware store should have an 8/32 setscrew about 1/4" long.  You can grind it down to the exact length you want it so that after you get it adjusted, not so much sticks down far enough to scratch your middle finger while you are shooting.  On the two I drilled and tapped myself, I chose to use 6-32 threads and Lowe's didn't have a stainless steel setscrew that small.  I had to go to Home Depot.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

1377x

mine didnt come with the ots or spring and ball either
why you had to shorten the rear frame screw, is a new one on me
congrats and welcome to the club!
closed mouths dont get fed

Fronzdan

Maybe it depends on who packs the shipment??  Anyway I just pulled the spring/ball off the one I was replacing.  But I'm thinking of building another frankenpistol out of spare parts, so I'll have to order from Crosman at some point.

Thanks for the specs in the trig stop screw JEbert, I'll look for a suitable 8-32 set screw.

1377x

if you have access to ball bearings and lighter springs you may never run out of the safety parts
im going to see what my local hardware store has for ball bearings.there is three i visit if none of them have it then you dont need it

mcc1961

I got the ots and the ball and spring with both of mine.
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

Fronzdan

Ok I'm seriously thinking of digging in the trash now  ;D

My frame came in a packing envelope and there was a small envelope inside with a part number on it.  I assumed it was just their way of referencing the frame part number....you know how every part usually comes in its own individual envelope??  It felt empty to me, but now I'm second guessing myself. They could have been n there, huh?

We're talking one weeks worth of trash because I remember throwing all the packaging out Monday.  Boy am I gonna feel stupid digging through all that for a $2 item if it's not there.... :-[

breakfastchef

Use the spring and ball from the frame you took off.

Quote from: Fronzdan on June 16, 2012, 03:20:14 PM
Ok I'm seriously thinking of digging in the trash now  ;D

My frame came in a packing envelope and there was a small envelope inside with a part number on it.  I assumed it was just their way of referencing the frame part number....you know how every part usually comes in its own individual envelope??  It felt empty to me, but now I'm second guessing myself. They could have been n there, huh?

We're talking one weeks worth of trash because I remember throwing all the packaging out Monday.  Boy am I gonna feel stupid digging through all that for a $2 item if it's not there.... :-[
Larry

Fronzdan

Oh yeah I did.  I was just planning to build another gun using the old frame.

The good news is I found the envelope in the trash pretty quickly.  Bad news is it was empty as I thought. I guess this will go on my next Crosman order.

1377x

It was a valiant effort but to no avail

BassManNate

Mine came with the ball and spring but no ota screw.  ???
Seems things are really inconsistent.