Breech screw

Started by akula8608, July 19, 2012, 06:53:13 AM

akula8608

Hi guys, I'm doing a 2250 build with odds and ends I have left over. The tube I'm going to use has a different location for the breech screw. Question is, is the breech screw even necessary. With the rear breech screw (the one that holds the rear sight) and barrel bands in place I question the effectiveness of that tiny little screw. Your thoughts.......
Thanks.....Tony
U.S. Navy Submarine Force 1986-2008

1377x

the little breech screw does make a difference
it helps seal the transfer port without it you will loose power because is leaking there
i am surprised the tube you are using doesnt have both breech screw locations.all the tubes i came across had old and new breech screw locations
you can always use a breech band instead.there was a guy in canada that was making them,dont know if he is still making them though
this is my solution to no breech screw,it makes a very tight seal at the transfer port,no leaks
closed mouths dont get fed

akula8608

That's good to know 1377. I was making assumptions about the tube. I have a 2400kt on order which I am converting to a disco. The tube that comes with it is the tube I'm going to use for my 2250 build. Thank you 1377, that clears up a lot.
U.S. Navy Submarine Force 1986-2008

1377x

ok now it makes sense
i think the 2400 tubes come with both breech screw locations but the old one needs to be tapped

pirouge

the pain in the butt breech screw, here's what I done after much experimenting. I went back to the stock screw because I never could get the "slot" of any other type to line up correctly with the breech. I just went ahead and ordered 6 stock B/screws from ABairguns. The best thing I done was go to Ace hardware and buy ($3) their smallest E-Z out, It makes removing bunged up ones a no brainier. I fill in the hole on the new one with candle wax. end of problems. And yes, I feel they are necessary

chongman

Quote from: pirouge on July 21, 2012, 11:15:16 PM
the pain in the butt breech screw, here's what I done after much experimenting. I went back to the stock screw because I never could get the "slot" of any other type to line up correctly with the breech. I just went ahead and ordered 6 stock B/screws from ABairguns. The best thing I done was go to Ace hardware and buy ($3) their smallest E-Z out, It makes removing bunged up ones a no brainier. I fill in the hole on the new one with candle wax. end of problems. And yes, I feel they are necessary

Does the candle wax hold up to oil?
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

1377x

it should
there shouldnt be an excess of oil where the breech screw goes