Question regarding CO2 and performance

Started by Warpspasm, July 22, 2012, 06:26:32 PM

Warpspasm

I'm new to pistol airgunning, so I'll probably have a number of questions in the next few weeks. Here's are my first few.

How many shots can I expect to get from a 12g cartridge in a 2240?

Do the cartridges leak air when they're partly used and in the pistol overnight?

Does performance drop off as the cartridge empties?  If so, after how many rounds do you normally see a drop off?

When you shoot fairly rapidly, the cartridge tube gets colder. Does this cause the pressure to decrease? I noticed a drop off in elevation after about 25 rounds fired fairly close together. It seemed to come back after I let the pistol shoot for a couple of minutes.

That'll do for now.  :)

Dolor Temporarius
Gloria Aeterna
Cicatrices Virginibus Placent

1377x

i havent done a round count yet
the co2 does not leak out i have had the same cart in my gun for a week now poa/poi still the same
after x number of shots the poi changes then the cart gets low
when my poa/poi changes i change my cart
closed mouths dont get fed

RC1947

I'd estimate around 40 shots from a 2240.  I'd suggest putting a drop of Pellgun oil on the seal of the CO2 canister occasionally to prevent leaks.  No gas should leak if the gun is stored for a while.  I find that the last 2 shots, before the canister is out of gas, drop in elevation, signaling for fresh CO2.  Rapid firing does create a cold situation which can effect accuracy.  Excellent pistols. RC

Tater

Is there a .177 equivalent to the 2240 and would the CO2 performance be the same?
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

BDS

Quote from: Tater on July 22, 2012, 09:05:25 PM
Is there a .177 equivalent to the 2240 and would the CO2 performance be the same?

2300KT or 2300S and T models.

.22 caliber is slightly more efficient (gas expansion) than .177, it may even result in a few more shots but, this more obvious in HPA or PCP guns than co2, especially longer barrel .22 calibers.
Brian

Tater

Thanks BDS.
Those are all great looking shooters, but way out of my price range.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

BDS

A .177 caliber barrel and bolt will get you a .177 caliber "2240" (2300) The barrel O.D. of 7/16"  are the same on both calibers so, your breech and all else will work just fine. Just go to the Crosman EVP gun diagrams and get the 2300T barrel, bolt and o-ring part numbers and, if you really want to play with power and shot count, go to the 2300S diagram and get the power adjuster (assembly) part number, it's only $14!  :D

My guess is $35-ish for bolt, o-ring, power adjuster and 10" barrel from Crosman. That's a cheap .177 pistol and you can always go back to .22 anytime on your 2240  :-*

PS the 2300T barrel is std Crosman, the 2300S barrel is a Lothar Walther Match Barrel $$$, be careful which one you choo$e  :D
Brian

Warpspasm

Is there an advantage to a .177 over a .22?
Dolor Temporarius
Gloria Aeterna
Cicatrices Virginibus Placent

BDS

Depends on the use/purpose of the gun, .22 caliber is great for pest control and really whompin the sh%! out of tin cans etc

Most target shooters (paper targets and small silhouette type targets) prefer the .177 for it's speed and accuracy at close ranges like 10-20 yards. Also, at close range, a .22 can really beat up small steel targets over time.

PS before the .22 shooters get after me  :D, the .22 is as accurate as any .177 if all else is equal like barrel quality, shooter ability etc.  :-*
Brian

JEBert

QuoteIs there an advantage to a .177 over a .22?
Wider range of pellet selection and .177's are usually cheaper.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

arkmaker †

.177 said to shoot a bit flatter, so choice of paper punchers. .20 and .22 are better choice for field target distances because of added weight, but then many folks still use .177 cal for that as well.

I personally like .22's because they are easier to handle with my crippled up aging fingers! Well, that and I like the thump of a .22 vs the .177
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22