duct seal again

Started by sandpiper, July 26, 2012, 03:23:21 AM

sbcrockett

Quote from: sandpiper on August 06, 2012, 04:31:38 AM
I finally got to the home depot to pick up my duct seal. Walked in and right past the customer service counter where a nice customer oriented associate asked "can I help you find anything". I answered "no thanks" cause I was on a mission toward the electrical isle where right on the bottom shelf i was going to find the elusive duct seal. So .... a few minutes in the electrical isle and no bottom self duct seal. Back to the service desk I go and the nice polite fellow from earlier says he'll show me right where it's at but it's not in the electrical isle. I said, "no, my buddies said electrical. He said "let's prove them wrong and walked me to the heating/ac isle, pointing to some caulking stuff and said "here it is". My thought, "here we go again"  :-X  Then I remembered I put the sku# in my phone. Sure enough, it was in the electrical isle.

Moral of story: Listen to your airgun buddies, not the guy that works in the damn store! I finally got my duct seal  8)

I'm probably the only guy here who went to the oldest looking Home Depot employee, who just happened to know EXACTLY what duct seal was and where to find it! In the electrical aisle, of course! I swear, he probably even knew what I was going to use it for (as I bought up the last 8 lbs).  :)

I will put the trap on the scale today and report back in a week or two :-*

sandpiper

Quote from: sbcrockett on August 06, 2012, 08:00:41 PM
I'm probably the only guy here who went to the oldest looking Home Depot employee, who just happened to know EXACTLY what duct seal was and where to find it! In the electrical aisle, of course! I swear, he probably even knew what I was going to use it for (as I bought up the last 8 lbs).  :)

I will put the trap on the scale today and report back in a week or two :-*

Yup, I got the youngster  :P

Crosshairs

Old is wise  ;)
                   Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

BigErn

Quote from: 1377x on August 06, 2012, 07:48:24 PM
was the safe broken before you found it ;) ;D ;D

Yeah I found it at the beach. Someone else kept the other half but this one had the handle  :-*

plasticclassic

Does anyone know if the Home Depot duct deal and the Lowes duct seal are the same stuff? What I mean is can you mix the two together in a trap with no ill effect?

farrlarr

Quote from: plasticclassic on August 08, 2012, 06:42:36 PM
Does anyone know if the Home Depot duct deal and the Lowes duct seal are the same stuff? What I mean is can you mix the two together in a trap with no ill effect?

They are essentially identical, maybe even the same brand (depending on which stores you shop) although their Web pages indicate different brands.  I can't think of any reason that mixing would cause any problems at all.
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."

JMJinNC

FWIW - I've only ever seen the Gardner Bender duct seal (white plastic wrapper) at Lowes or Home Depot.

JMJ
John

BDS

Quote from: plasticclassic on August 08, 2012, 06:42:36 PM

It's chemically identical, and unless you stick in your pants  :D or eat a few pounds of it, it's reasonably safe, BTW, it's flash point or ignition point is 590 deg F and it would melt at about 350 F, so fire would be highly unlikely.
Brian

sandpiper

Quote from: BDS on August 09, 2012, 10:00:06 PM
and unless you stick in your pants  :D o

Now Brian, you're not speaking from experience are you ?  ;)

BDS

:D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Uh errr, maybe  ???  :-[
Brian

sandpiper

Quote from: BDS on August 09, 2012, 10:11:50 PM
:D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Uh errr, maybe  ???  :-[

Don't worry. Your secret's good with me  :-*

Fronzdan

The Lowes duct seal tastes a little better than the Home Depot stuff to me.  Other than that, mix it all up and fill it with lead.

BDS

Brian

woody67

I recommend using a dry rub, and letting it sit overnight before you grill it...helps if you tenderize it a bit first
... ;D