duct seal again

Started by sandpiper, July 26, 2012, 03:23:21 AM

sandpiper

So I finally destroyed my target box, blowing through 3 car floor mats and the 3/8 plywood behind it. I made it before the duct seal discussion took place so I figured I'd wear it out before making another one.

I went to Lowes tonight to get everything needed to build a proper target box and to my surprise I couldn't find duct seal. I asked at the service desk and they looked at me like I had three heads. Finally I found someone who knew what I was talking about and told me where it was, only it wasn't there. Going to try the Depot tomorrow.

Just needed to vent  :(

farrlarr

You will find duct seal in the electrical section of both Lowe's and Home Depot.  It is surprising that so few of their employees (both stores) have any idea what it is or where to find it.  It is usually located on a bottom shelf, in a white box that is only a couple of sticks wide, with the top ripped off.  The sticks inside are usually wrapped in white plastic with simple black labeling on it.

I suggest that you go online and check both store's Web sites, searching specifically for duct seal.  You will be able to identify your local store and then see if they list duct seal in stock at that store.  That might save you some running around trying to find it.
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."

breakfastchef

I was unable to find duct seal at Lowes or Home Depot. Most of the staff points you towards plumbers putty, which is useless in a trap. Let us know if you find any. In the meantime, I use rubber mulch in my traps - cheap and effective.
Larry

sandpiper

Quote from: farrlarr on July 26, 2012, 03:32:23 AM
You will find duct seal in the electrical section of both Lowe's and Home Depot.  It is surprising that so few of their employees (both stores) have any idea what it is or where to find it.  It is usually located on a bottom shelf, in a white box that is only a couple of sticks wide, with the top ripped off.  The sticks inside are usually wrapped in white plastic with simple black labeling on it.

I suggest that you go online and check both store's Web sites, searching specifically for duct seal.  You will be able to identify your local store and then see if they list duct seal in stock at that store.  That might save you some running around trying to find it.

Thanks for the info. I thought it would be in the heating/ac vent area. I also looked in plumbing. I'll search the store sight and see what I come up with.

1377x

Quote from: breakfastchef on July 26, 2012, 03:33:12 AM
I was unable to find duct seal at Lowes or Home Depot. Most of the staff points you towards plumbers putty, which is useless in a trap. Let us know if you find any. In the meantime, I use rubber mulch in my traps - cheap and effective.
that pretty much what gun ranges use as a backstop chewed up tires which is rubber mulch
closed mouths dont get fed

sandpiper

The reason I wanted to go with the duct seal was because of the mess my current trap makes. I use it in the basement and I'm concerned about the dust from the cardboard, carpet and mostly the pellets. The only good thing was that I had six months of used pellets to give to my buddy for fishing weights  :-*

jdub

Our Lowes and Home Depot both have it but not a single employee at either store knew what or where it was and it was in a weird spot with some misc electrical parts in both stores.  $2 a lb at Home Depot and $2.50 at Lowes. 

Next time I'm there I'll take a photo of the location since all stores are pretty much laid out the same.

gdm620

I bought mine at Menards which is like a home depot or lowes.  It was in the electrical department.  Kind of hard to see.  It blends in with the rest of the crap pretty well.  It was on the bottum shelf also.
Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

Fronzdan

Quote from: farrlarr on July 26, 2012, 03:32:23 AM
You will find duct seal in the electrical section of both Lowe's and Home Depot.  It is surprising that so few of their employees (both stores) have any idea what it is or where to find it.  It is usually located on a bottom shelf, in a white box that is only a couple of sticks wide, with the top ripped off.  The sticks inside are usually wrapped in white plastic with simple black labeling

Yep that's exactly right.  It will always be in the electrical section where they have the breaker panels etc.  I've bought it at a few different lowes and depots.  The box is small and very easy to miss.  I was standing in front of it once and asked the guy.  He pointed down.

Nightsniper52

Where do you find this rubber mulch?  Lowes and Manards dont have it here.

JMJinNC

Every time I'm in Lowes or Home Depot, I check to see that the have it in stock, just in case. Lowes is much better about stocking it, but it's more expensive. Finding it it easy now, and exactly as described above.

As for the rubber mulch, I've seen other guys fill a deep trap with rubber mulch, then jam a piece of cardboard against it to keep it in. Target goes on or in front of the cardboard "keeper". After several hundred shot, replace the cardboard.

JMJ

John

woody67

Quote from: plasticclassic on July 26, 2012, 08:54:50 AM
What's a good way to hold the rubber mulch in?

Mix it up with the duct seal!

breakfastchef

Quote from: JMJinNC on July 26, 2012, 02:49:12 PMAs for the rubber mulch, I've seen other guys fill a deep trap with rubber mulch, then jam a piece of cardboard against it to keep it in. Target goes on or in front of the cardboard "keeper". After several hundred shot, replace the cardboard.

What he said. I use a sheet of cardboard. To hold the cardboard in place I drilled a few holes on opposite sides of the trap and fed insulation hanger wire into the holes, across the cardboard and into the hole on the other side. Any stiff wire would work. Replace the cardboard as needed.

Rubber mulch is generally available at all big box DIY stores. Cost is @$8 for 0.3 c.f. That is plenty to fill two traps to a depth of 4" or so.

Larry