1322 Pieces Parts

Started by jdub, August 04, 2012, 08:27:21 PM

jdub

I picked up a 1322 parts gun from another forum this week.  It arrived yesterday with a good mix of parts.  A MellonAir 12" barrel and MellonAir barrel-band, an older style grip frame with the metal two-screw side-plate, an etched style tube, and a plastic trigger (huh? :)).   My initial plan was to take the good parts off my 2240 and put them on the 1322 and sell the 2240 once it's back in its stock configuration.  Now I'm not so sure.

First off I pulled the steel receiver from the 2240 and put it on the 1322 because I knew I wanted the LPA Mim sight on the 1322.  I then pulled the polished trigger parts from the 2240 and put stock parts back in their place.  And finally I pulled the 7.5" TKO LDC off the 2240 and attached it to the 1322.  This was the result:

The thing is freakishly long for a pistol and, as I mentioned in another post, the main sound you hear when firing after the pumping 10 times is the hammer spring and hammer.  It sounds like you simply cocked and fired without pumping it at all.  Crazy!

Here'a a pic of it next to my very long 2300S with a 6.5" LDC.   The 1322 is about 3" longer and more muzzle-heavy than the 2300S.   I'm already having doubts.

So I went out and shot it for an hour.   It has a very long sight plane, which is good and bad.  Being longer it will be more accurate in theory.  I've seen this on other guns so I don't doubt it.  The downside is that once it gets very long in a handgun it is extremely difficult to hold a steady sight picture since any movement is magnified more as the sight plane becomes longer.  This is what I was seeing.  An easy fix is to mount a post sight on the back end of the LDC where it attaches to the barrel.  I still might try that.

While pondering the situation I went back inside to reassemble the 2240, which is in many, many pieces.   I still have a partially used CO2 cartridge in the tube and while reassembling I cocked the gun and put the safety on.  Once it was all back together I pushed the safety off and fired it while we were watching a movie.  Holy crap this sucker is loud!!  :)   Even in the garage it sounds like a Senco stud gun.   

It's obvious that if I'm going to keep the 2240 it *needs* the LDC both for the house and the garage.  I pulled the LDC off the 1322 and fired it in the house a few times.  It makes a sharp crack but not even close to as loud as the 2240.  In the garage it's not even noticeable.  Hmmm.   A little more swapping and a few minutes later this is what I have:

The 2240 gets the LDC and a Red Dot until I decide if I'm keeping it (the 2240 not the LDC):

And the 1322 gets the Crosman muzzle brake, the LPA, the steel receiver, and the 12" MellonAir barrel:

I went out and shot the 1322 for another 45 minutes and it just doesn't field as unwieldy like this.  It's quiet enough and I get a steadier sight picture.  I'm still up in the air on the 2240.

chongman

First off, all the configurations look very cool. It's tough to decide, keep it,sell it,trade it  :-X If it was me...keep both and start on another!
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Crosshairs

Nice pair of crosmans you have there, a long gun indeed but you know, i kinda like them a bit long it brings the 1377 it to a new level and class of guns. Like you i like having the TKO break on most of my crosmans pistol and rifle. Did you ever try a stock on your shooters they are not the best and do come loose often but for a longer distance shot they sure help me alot. Your crosman collection is starting off very nice. :-*
                                                  Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Crosshairs

Quote from: chongman on August 04, 2012, 08:38:21 PM
First off, all the configurations look very cool. It's tough to decide, keep it,sell it,trade it  :-X If it was me...keep both and start on
First off, all the configurations look very cool. It's tough to decide, keep it,sell it,trade it  :-X If it was me...keep both and start on another!
X1 me too.
                           Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

jdub

The problem is that I'm not the collecting type.   If I get very many of anything it stresses me out--if I'm not going to use it regularly then I'll sell it and try something else. 

The 2240 is a great example.   It shoots very well but it's not as accurate nor does it get as many shots per cart as the 2300S, so if I feel like shooting CO2 I'll always grab the 2300S unless I force myself to use the 2240 and then I'll just be thinking I should have used the 2300S because it's more accurate.  Sounds weird I know but it's true.   At one point I had almost two dozen high-end flyrods and it was making me insane.  I sold all but 4 or 5 and each has a specific use.   I made a bunch of money and no longer stress about which rod to take.   Simplify.  :)  If it's not meeting a specific need then sell. 

RC1947

You seem to have collected quite an arsenal in a short amount of time.  I tend to buy in binges, then to the task of using them.  You've got some nice stuff. RC

jdub

Quote from: RC1947 on August 04, 2012, 09:51:52 PM
You seem to have collected quite an arsenal in a short amount of time.  I tend to buy in binges, then to the task of using them.  You've got some nice stuff. RC
I think we must define arsenal differently  :)

BigErn

Man you got some nice Crosmans Jdub.

breakfastchef

All the pistol configurations look excellent. The TKO muzzle brakes are so light, the extra length should not be much of a problem, though you will note a bit more 'wiggle' of the front pin with open sights. Keep both of them.
Larry

jdub

That silver muzzle brake just wasn't doing it.  Back to black.

I spent a lot of time yesterday shooting this one, the 2240, the 2300S and my Izzy.  This 1322 with the MellonAir barrel was grouping very nicely.  Almost as good as the 2300S.   

chongman

You could turn the 2240 into a "stubby" with a short barrel  8) I could see how you do it and build one myself.

The pumper with the black brake works man. It still screams for ya do something with those plastic grips....
http://www.rbgrips.net/RAINBOWLAMINATES.html

jdub

Quote from: chongman on August 05, 2012, 11:59:09 PM
You could turn the 2240 into a "stubby" with a short barrel  8) I could see how you do it and build one myself.

The pumper with the black brake works man. It still screams for ya do something with those plastic grips....
http://www.rbgrips.net/RAINBOWLAMINATES.html
I ordered a set of unfinished walnut grips from RB last Wednesday.  :)

jdub

Quote from: chongman on August 05, 2012, 11:59:09 PM
How's this?

Take an extra 10" barrel and whack it:

Polish it a bit and crown it:

Compared to stock 2240 barrel:

Put it on the gun and add a cheap sight:

Took about 25 minutes start to finish.  The sucker is really loud now!  The front sight is too wide for the notch in the rear sight so I'll stick a red dot on it and see how it groups.  I tried with this sight and was getting about 3/4" at 5 meters but I know it will do much better with a thinner sight on front or optics.

Did I mention it was loud??

chongman

The snubby is very cool! I'll keep my eyes open for a 22 barrel or maybe get one from MellonAir.

Is that 5-5/8" long?

I wandered into a deal on a used 2240 from a fantastic dude (thanks again!) and was surprised how loud it was.  I had a fiber optic sight same as you are using and installed it with the stock rear sight...very accurate. I used to have some solar power lights in the back yard that no longer light up....yep, busted them up good  :D

jdub

Quote from: chongman on August 06, 2012, 03:21:51 AM
The snubby is very cool! I'll keep my eyes open for a 22 barrel or maybe get one from MellonAir.

Is that 5-5/8" long?

I wandered into a deal on a used 2240 from a fantastic dude (thanks again!) and was surprised how loud it was.  I had a fiber optic sight same as you are using and installed it with the stock rear sight...very accurate. I used to have some solar power lights in the back yard that no longer light up....yep, busted them up good  :D
I didn't even measure before I cut it.  I held it up against the 2240 with stock barrel, marked it with a Sharpie, and cut it so the barrel ended about 1/4" *behind* the CO2 cap so that it would be the same length with the sight installed.   It looks like 5-11/16"  ;D

I'm glad the 2240 is working okay for you!  You *need* a TKO LDC.  Huge difference.