Rescued 1377 lives again

Started by 7624452, August 09, 2012, 10:25:48 AM

Crosshairs

Safety is the first rule for gun ownership there is a reason they put them on guns. I would not shoot next to someone with a safety removed. I have seen two people shoot themselves one in the butt and one in the leg and both guns did have safetys on them, it's only a matter of time before you or someone else gets hurt. Im not trying to tell people what to do but really would hate to see one of you get hurt.
                                                 Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

woody67

My safety is always on, no matter what gun I'm shooting. I think it's my OCD that makes me keep checking to make sure the safety is working.

I won't ever shoot myself, because I never ever point the muzzle towards any part of my body. Also I kind of freak out whenever anybody points a gun in my direction.
Unless it was my girlfriend... I wouldn't really be surprised to see that actually. hahaha :)

BDS

T Gaylord.... ... "and no mechanical device adds anything to improve safety."

Seriously ? He should stick to selling airguns, he obviously missed that ONE day that they taught engineering at poly-sci school!
Brian

Quote from: BDS on August 10, 2012, 03:32:33 PM
T Gaylord.... ... "and no mechanical device adds anything to improve safety."

Seriously ? He should stick to selling airguns, he obviously missed that ONE day that they taught engineering at poly-sci school!
I do not know who T Gaylord is and I do not understand your remark.
Stranded in California.

Quote from: Crosshairs on August 10, 2012, 01:29:39 PM
Safety is the first rule for gun ownership there is a reason they put them on guns. I would not shoot next to someone with a safety removed. I have seen two people shoot themselves one in the butt and one in the leg and both guns did have safetys on them, it's only a matter of time before you or someone else gets hurt. Im not trying to tell people what to do but really would hate to see one of you get hurt.
                                                 Mike  8)

You are getting into the old argument of "Who killed this guy, the person who shot him, or the gun that was used?"
Stranded in California.

jdub

Quote from: Crosshairs on August 10, 2012, 01:29:39 PM
                                                 Mike  8)
Does that mean you leave the range when someone pulls out a Glock, Kahr, LCP, or any of the other dozens of firearms without a manual safety? :-)

None of my three different Baikal airguns (IZH-46M, 53M, 61) have manual safeties nor do many (most?) 10m Match pistols. 

Regards

BTW, I'm not meaning for this to sound rude in any way.  I'm just curious how those of you who feel strongly about having manual safeties feel about the abundance of firearms (some of the most popular concealed carry weapons) that don't have manual safeties, and do you handle a gun with a manual safety *differently* than one without?  I believe it's a training issue--not a mechanical issue.

BDS

Quote from: 7624452 on August 10, 2012, 10:03:51 PM
I do not know who T Gaylord is and I do not understand your remark.

ok...?

The "remark" was a response to Jdub, not you, if you don't get it, then you dont get it.
Brian

Quote from: BDS on August 10, 2012, 11:11:36 PM
ok...?

The "remark" was a response to Jdub, not you, if you don't get it, then you dont get it.
Sorry - that post was on another page and I had forgotten about it.
Stranded in California.

jdub

Quote from: BDS on August 10, 2012, 11:11:36 PM
ok...?

If you take Tom's *entire* quote in context it's pretty clear he's referring to *manual safeties*. 

"As for the lack of a safety being a problem, I respectfully disagree. I don't think the pistol needs one. The shooter is the safety for any gun, and no mechanical device adds anything to improve safety".

There are obviously differing opinions here that won't be changed by anything said on this forum.  The end result will likely be just a bunch of pissed off people  :)

Cheers

BDS

Nah... there's waaaay more important stuff to worry about before getting P.O.'d about a Gaylord comment!

Still... "no mechanical device adds anything to improve safety" is pretty definitive on it's own merit, with other context or not, It's a Gaylord-ism.
Brian

jdub

Quote from: BDS on August 10, 2012, 11:35:40 PM
Nah... there's waaaay more important stuff to worry about than getting P.O.'d about  a Gaylord comment!
Ha!  We agree!   :)

Crosshairs

Quote from: 1377x on August 09, 2012, 05:39:52 PM
the polish jobs you do to your guns is amazing.i dont know if its patience of what ???
i cant get my guns to look like that
thanks Ed !!
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Fronzdan

Quote from: 1377x on August 09, 2012, 05:39:52 PM
the polish jobs you do to your guns is amazing.i dont know if its patience of what ???
i cant get my guns to look like that

I know!  Seriously man, I hope to someday do a polish job that nicely.  I just finished my first...well the frame and the barrel.  I used a Cothran tube.  Only the RJ breech is black still.  It was a lot of work!

cmj21973

Quote from: 7624452 on August 09, 2012, 08:59:19 PM
Where did you get that information ?

When I said new and old, I should have said  phase IV, phase III and phase II.

Your 1377 is clearly a phase I.  Skeletonized grip frame and scriptive "American Classic" tube imprint.

All of the 1377 EVP's from Crosman show and list the front sight/ pump arm pivot pin as a roll.

Thanks for the pic of the Crosman's solid pin.

Quote from: cmj21973 on August 11, 2012, 06:53:33 AM
When I said new and old, I should have said  phase IV, phase III and phase II.

Your 1377 is clearly a phase I.  Skeletonized grip frame and scriptive "American Classic" tube imprint.

All of the 1377 EVP's from Crosman show and list the front sight/ pump arm pivot pin as a roll.

Thanks for the pic of the Crosman's solid pin.
My research indicates it is a phase II(second variant) made from 1981-1988.  The phase I had a steel breech and was not set up for bb's.  It was made from 1977 to 1998.  The Crosman web site shows the same manual and evp for both.  The picture is of the original parts, plastic breech and brass bolt with magnet on front.
Stranded in California.