barrel length & muzzle brakes how do they effect sound and performance?

Started by kb2rocket, August 19, 2012, 07:02:05 PM

kb2rocket

I am very new to this so sorry if it has been covered
I will be getting a 1377 and I want it to be as quiet and accurate as possible for backyard target plinking no living things
and I also want it to be as quite as possible so as not to give my neighbors anything to be alarmed about
I understand that the less I pump it up the quieter it will be what can I do beyond that?
I also read something about a de pinger to quiet the action its self are these available for the 1377?
thanks

sbcrockett

well, I'm exactly in your shoes and I'll let you know (hopefully with video and audio measurements) what a longer barrel and brake do as soon as I get my order from TKO!

I ordered a 16 inch barrel and 6.5 inch brake from Mike almost 2 weeks ago. The longest 10 days of my life, BTW...

From what I've read, most people that own CO2 pistols think that their cartridges are empty, it makes such a difference quieting things down. And, I'm hoping it will be a noticeable change for my 1377 as well. Mike recommended a 16-18 inch barrel for a carbine setup, but offers up to 24 inches. Or you can stay on the short side, but you need at least 11-12 inches to be able to fit the brake.

stay posted, I should have some numbers and sound clips this week (fingers crossed)!

jdub

Quote from: kb2rocket on August 19, 2012, 07:02:05 PM
I am very new to this so sorry if it has been covered
I will be getting a 1377 and I want it to be as quiet and accurate as possible for backyard target plinking no living things
and I also want it to be as quite as possible so as not to give my neighbors anything to be alarmed about
I understand that the less I pump it up the quieter it will be what can I do beyond that?
I also read something about a de pinger to quiet the action its self are these available for the 1377?
thanks
In my experience the 1377/1322 aren't that loud to begin with.  Certainly nothing like a 2240 CO2 pistol.  You'll need an 11-12" barrel and a new barrel band or drill out the one you have.  One thing to be aware of is that if you are not planning to make this a carbine you will end up with a very long pistol.   Not saying that's good or bad--just be aware. 

I put a 7.5" LDC on a 1322 with 12" barrel and could shoot it in the living room without bothering anyone else in the house.   Kind of like a sneeze.   Very quiet. 

kb2rocket

are air guns subject to the kinds of restrictions firearms are when using muzzle brakes ?
where is the line drawn to seperate muzzle brakes from muzzle brakes?
I just dont want to take a hobby that is ment to be fun and ruin it with legal problems  :-X
SBCrockett that is a pretty cool setup my eyes arnt really that great I might need something better than open sights

kb2rocket

I ment muzzle brakes from muzzle brakes  ;)

JEBert

kb2,
When you type in the name of the object to which you are referring, the software automatically changes it to Muzzle Brakes.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Plekto

Technically air gun "brakes" are allowed, but if it can be removed and fitted by anyone with normal tools or garage machine shop tactics to a firearm. (basically if it's removable, folks), then you're in trouble.  Also, trying to explain to a ranger or police officer at the local range is likely to be a harrowing experience.  It needs to have come from the factory or machine shop as essentially one welded or interference fit piece.  (or part of the barrel itself, like the Stoeger line)

OEM of course solves all legal issues.  DIY, that's trickier.  I'd personally not risk it as even an hour or two with a lawyer is more than the cost of most of our air guns.  note - I've personally been asked (rather pointedly) about old spring-piston airguns with just a solid brake on the end in the past.  Paranoia and lack of tolerance is the rule with most officers on the subject, unfortunately.   

IME, shrouds are much better if you have a choice, as they fix the above re-purposing problem and don't look so obvious so as to draw attention at the range.  Some guns like the Marauder come with them as well.  The easy solution to all of this is to get a Marauder pistol. 

kb2rocket

thanks for the info.  I will not be altering the barrel length or installing muzzle brakes flash hiders of the other bad S word it is what it is. wow I just saved some money  :-*

jdub

Plekto makes some excellent points.

In my area it's illegal to shoot an airgun in the city so I can't even shoot in my backyard.  My interest in muzzle brakes is to make my airguns indoor friendly so I can shoot in my garage and house.

I wouldn't take mine to a range for two reasons; 1) In my 20 years of shooting in Texas I have never seen an airgun at a range and they would probably laugh me out of the place  :) and 2) the brake would definitely draw the attention of the range officer and anyone else shooting there.

There's a great article on Pyramyd Air's site.  Go there and look under Articles (lower right) and then look for one with the S-word in it.   I'd link to it but since that word it part of the URL it would break the rules (and the link).

You can also call Mike at TKO and get his side of the story.  I think a lot depends on your geographical location.  There are still huge areas of the US where you can drive around with a rifle on a rack in the back window of your pickup and local law enforcement won't bat an eye.   These are likely the same guys who would be interested in your airguns without going all SWAT team on you.   But, cruise around Dallas doing the same thing and you'll probably get pulled over within minutes when some freaked out driver calls 911.  City cops would likely have a different attitude about muzzle brakes as well.   At least around here. 

sbcrockett

I thought I saw a link to a legal document that basically differentiated between brakes (or shhh tubes, for our discussion purposes) on airguns and on firearms. Pretty sure it was here at CAPOF.  Hmmm, I'll do some digging around...

@ kb: you should look at your municipal codes for your city and search on airguns. it should be pretty easy to find what the restrictions are. I'm lucky that my city only prohibits the aiming and firing at persons or others property to do harm. So, technically, I SHOULD be able to plink in my backyard. However, my 1377 is noticeably loud and very easy for the neighbors to identify what I'm doing. Plus, in my case, one side of my property is almost completely visible from the street.

You can imagine what the 911 calls would sound like if people saw me walking around with a scoped carbine. My plan is to get the brake on the gun to quiet it down and then put up a tent or tarp big enough for a bench and then setup targets down range toward the house. I should be able to get at least 25 yds that way.

In any case, I totally understand your legal concerns. For now, I am totally comfortable shooting in my basement with my pellet trap (very easy to make, btw) so I'm just waiting to get everything else setup.

sbcrockett

Quote from: jdub on August 19, 2012, 09:28:29 PM
In my 20 years of shooting in Texas I have never seen an airgun at a range and they would probably laugh me out of the place  :) 

only until they saw your dime-sized grouping at 15 yds!

breakfastchef

Here is a lengthy read about shushing devices as they pertain to airguns and firearms - http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1527670.html

I own a muzzle device/air stripper from Neil Clague. It is a top-shelf device. He states on his website, "These products are designed and manufactured to be used strictly for airguns. It is a violation of Federal law to use these products in a manner inconsistent with their stated usage."

Some AG retailers won't sell or retrofit new rifles with sir strippers unless they are integral part of the gun. An example are shrouded barrels with air stripping qualities that come direct from the factory already installed.
Larry

D-R0CK

The BATF website says airgun shhh "thingies" are illegal. Just sayin'...
(edited to add "airgun")

jdub

Quote from: D-R0CK on August 20, 2012, 06:53:52 AM
The BATF website says airgun shhh "thingies" are illegal. Just sayin'...
(edited to add "airgun")
BATF doesn't have any jurisdiction over airguns.   And therein lies the problem.   If it was absolutely certain that the brakes would only work on airguns there would be no issues except for whatever local ordinances exist.  The problem is the possibility of airgun brakes being used on firearms. 

1377x

here you go.airguns are not firearms.the aft does not regulate airguns
thread on report reducers is playing with fire but not illegal according to the document posted
http://talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15340
closed mouths dont get fed