3 cheers for Michael Chavka and his barrel bands!

Started by sbcrockett, August 28, 2012, 02:22:14 AM

eric

Quote from: bluefork on June 30, 2013, 02:25:45 AM
I won't agree with you on him being a standup guy...........
that would be expected --- there are a few out there that like to make $ off of others ideas but that is to be expected as well
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

breakfastchef

Quote from: bluefork on June 30, 2013, 02:25:45 AM
On a side note the bands that Chavka sells are a copy of my old style band. I won't agree with you on him being a standup guy...........

Greg, I am unclear about who really made the first commercially-available replacement barrel bands. Chavka was certainly not first. If you ask Stace, he did. Probably a discussion for another thread and another time.
Larry

Gippeto

Quote from: 1377x on June 29, 2013, 07:37:11 PM
can you make one that can double as a rear cocker?
actually
one that can be adapted to my rear cocking hammer assembly?

Would be a bit different for sure. :)

Could be a collar that gets gripped and pulled back, or a bolt handle out the side of the mount. Collar would be my preference...maybe make it "T" shaped for easy cocking with heavier springs???

Mount piece would be long, but do-able. Would mean making the hammer mechanism as well.

Al

1377x

Quote from: Gippeto on June 30, 2013, 07:08:40 AM
Would be a bit different for sure. :)

Could be a collar that gets gripped and pulled back, or a bolt handle out the side of the mount. Collar would be my preference...maybe make it "T" shaped for easy cocking with heavier springs???

Mount piece would be long, but do-able. Would mean making the hammer mechanism as well.

Al

hmmm!
so my existing rear cocking hammers wouldn't work ???
since I use extremely heavy hammer springs to push my 115 gram hammer the collar sounds better
closed mouths dont get fed

Gippeto

Quote from: 1377x on July 03, 2013, 06:05:06 AM
hmmm!
so my existing rear cocking hammers wouldn't work ???
since I use extremely heavy hammer springs to push my 115 gram hammer the collar sounds better

Many ways to skin any cat Ed...I've no idea how your rear cocking hammers are put together. Similar to phase 1 and 2 or do the rod and cocking knob travel with the striker.. contributing to the total mass?

How about a nice pic of just the striker bits?

Al

BDS

Al... any news on your Hi-press/brake-slave unit for PCP filling?
Brian

Gippeto

Quote from: BDS on July 03, 2013, 11:20:11 PM
Al... any news on your Hi-press/brake-slave unit for PCP filling?

Feeding it from my regulated N2 setup, and filling my AT44 (regular tube) "Start" pressure is the same as the supply pressure...bleeds through the checks until pressure balances in the system.

1000psi 12 strokes to 200bar

1500psi...6 strokes to 200bar

Topped up the 1701P from 1500psi to 3000psi in 4 strokes feeding 500psi.

Can fill feeding 100psi, but takes quite a while. Received and installed a sleeve valve for actuation...HUGE improvement. Looking for an electric solenoid valve and will build a timer circuit for it...this will automate the pump, but will require electricity.

Need to put an AC compressor together with an empty co2 fire extinguisher....handy and cheap source of 500psi air. ;)

Received some 90D Urethane o-rings to replace the buna...have not torn it down yet to swap them out as it's still working great. :)

Al

1377x

Quote from: Gippeto on July 03, 2013, 07:15:36 AM
Many ways to skin any cat Ed...I've no idea how your rear cocking hammers are put together. Similar to phase 1 and 2 or do the rod and cocking knob travel with the striker.. contributing to the total mass?

How about a nice pic of just the striker bits?

Al
i have a thread here showing the hammer assembly in pieces. ill find them and show you
one for my phase 2 1377 would be nice too
closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

Quote from: Gippeto on July 04, 2013, 03:16:54 AM
Feeding it from my regulated N2 setup, and filling my AT44 (regular tube) "Start" pressure is the same as the supply pressure...bleeds through the checks until pressure balances in the system.

1000psi 12 strokes to 200bar
1500psi...6 strokes to 200bar
Topped up the 1701P from 1500psi to 3000psi in 4 strokes feeding 500psi.
Can fill feeding 100psi, but takes quite a while. Received and installed a sleeve valve for actuation...HUGE improvement. Looking for an electric solenoid valve and will build a timer circuit for it...this will automate the pump, but will require electricity.
Need to put an AC compressor together with an empty co2 fire extinguisher....handy and cheap source of 500psi air. ;)
Received some 90D Urethane o-rings to replace the buna...have not torn it down yet to swap them out as it's still working great. :)

Al

Progress... that's what matters. As Einstein is reported to have said to a "suit" in the R&D dept., "if we knew what were doing, we wouldn't call it R&D"  :D
Brian