Looking for 2240 10" barrel shot string

Started by CO2Freak, September 16, 2012, 01:15:23 PM

jdub

Seems like a lot of talk regarding fps without much reference to pellet weight.  I saw it listed in the chart but not mentioned otherwise.  Is there a specific pellet weight you were looking at to break 500 fps?

I just checked my 2240 with a 10" Mellonair barrel and with 14.3 gr CPHP it's averaging 475 fps.  With 13.7 gr H&N Sports it's right averaging about 488 fps.  In both cases that's over 7 FPE.

Mine has the stock valve, spring, hammer, etc.  It does have the steel receiver and Crosman extended probe and I made a spring guide for it. 

AverageJoe

I am Average Joe, nice to meet all you guys.  I bought and modified out my 2240, I assembled after we got overrun by squirrels at our condo and they ate all the wiring underneath our SUV.  I wanted it to stay a pistol so I  started with the steel breech (wish I got the left hand or abidexterious) and then got a BOSS RP, put in new hammer and pin, extra heavy spring and power adjuster, extended bolt probe. I just put in the new 60% transport valve. I have not done any trigger upgrades. I was using the 10" barrel and using those tall competition open sights very accurate, but not enough power, I next went to a 12" barrel and power was increasing.  I then read the article about J.J.Pelletier cutting off the barrel every 2" til it got to a 13" barrel, and his thoughts that there is a law of decreasing power, muzzle velocity, FPS, that after a barrel goes over 13", the pellet starts to drag, losing power and accuracy the longer the barrel length increased or the difference did not increase that much. There are other articles on this subject on the internet. It made perfect sense to me so I bought a 14.5" barrel and had it cut and crowned. And this is the barrel I now use.  It is supper accurate and super powerful, looks very cool I think as a pistol. Sorry I do not own a chrony, I judge by shooting a metal target 33 yards away and can only judge by how fast it hits the target, I have shot 14.3 destroyers, 15.2 domes, and many other weights, it seems to like them all and it is quiet, which I never expected, no complaints from neighbors. I plan to get a chrony, but you can see where I spent all my money. Already had two pistol scopes and a red dot, but I want it to stay a pistol. I plan to scope it, but then I may have to use the stock if it gets too heavy and that's not what I want. Sorry I cannot give you guys the figures. Forget the 10" and go for the 13", you will not regret it. I had the barrel done by Alliance Hobby, and the barrel I got from him was absolutely beautiful blued and crowned he just cut the flat off, cut to size and crowned it.  Well I don't have a picture to post, but next post I will!  I kept it all blued and black so it didn't attract any attention around our condo compound and it is illegal here in Cook county, Chicago where these .22 that shoot 600+, and I believe with what all I have I am over that.  Thank you all for reading this as it is my first post, I have a Scoped 392 which is really great, but a pumper, so I went co2, 2240 and fell in love with it.  Thanks, Average Joe

Tater

Sorry to hear you live in Crook County Average Joe.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

arkmaker †

This thread is 5 years old!! Dang. I'm getting old ;-)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

BillK

Quote from: AverageJoe on March 30, 2017, 07:00:46 AM
  I then read the article about J.J.Pelletier cutting off the barrel every 2" til it got to a 13" barrel, and his thoughts that there is a law of decreasing power, muzzle velocity, FPS, that after a barrel goes over 13", the pellet starts to drag, losing power and accuracy the longer the barrel length increased or the difference did not increase that much.

IMO the BBPelliter article is flawed & it was not a Crosman that was tested.   I have a chrono and have tested different length barrels on the same gun and FPS increases as the length increases.  I have only gone up to 24" and it had higher FPS than the shorter barrels. (2240 style gun)
Just notice where ever Crosman FPS stats are available, Pyramid Air, Crosman ect. that the highest rated is the 2260.  No company is going to put a longer barrel on a gun if it slows it down.

Sounds like you have made yourself a fine shooter. :-*
We all like pics also. ;) 
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II