1377C and PC77B difference

Started by The German, September 28, 2012, 01:34:54 AM

The German

In the crosman web store the 1377C (brown grip) costs 10$ more than the PC77B with the black grip. What does justify that? Can anybody tell?

And despite both are 100% identical from the technical standpoint and performance (look at the "Specifications Overview") crosman claims that the 1377C is to be used for target shooting and pest control meanwhile the PC77B is merely ment for target shooting. And that is making me nervous a bit because...

...I have just ordered what i considder to be the PC77B (http://www.kotte-zeller.de/Crosman-Modell-1377-American-Classic-Luftpistole%26nbsp;schwarz.htm?websale7=kotte-zeller-shop&pi=90021&ci=011181) and I wonder if I have just bought the weaker gun.

Can anybody explain that to me? Is there a difference in a quality that may not directly effect the performance- for example are the synthetic parts of poorer quality or other components?

Fronzdan

Well everybody knows brown is better for hunting!!! 

The German

Brown is better for hunting because it's a better camouflage than black?
Or are you talking about something different?

And is there another difference?

breakfastchef

I do not believe there is any difference at all between the two models. I recall discussion over the past year or so that indicated that the PC77 was made for certain retail markets. Another Thought was that Crosman may have been test marketing a new trade name - Pumpmaster Classic (PC). Same gun, same parts, no problem.
Larry

Fronzdan

Sorry, for some reason the last part of my post got cut off.  There was a smiley there meaning the brown comment was a joke.  And I also said something similar to chef.....it must be some marketing angle.   I think they are identical and would actually think they'd charge more for the black/tactical look.

mudduck48

In my short time on the forum, it doesn't matter which one you buy. After you are here awhile the Crosmaniac bug will bite you and you will start throwing money at your gun trying to make it better. Just relax and take a deep breath. You are in good hands here. They will help in every thing you need to make this gun better. The only thing I can tell you from my experience, is READ! Read everything on the forum about what you want to do to your new gun. If you get stumped, then ask, they will help you. So, just take a deep breath and order you new gun. Have fun, this is what it is all about.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

The German

I also considdered it to be possible that they claimed 10$ for the vintage wood-look only... but you never know. So I radther turned to you guys.

To make the 1377C a bigger success crosman even displayed less accessoires in the PC77B's section. For example I was not able to find the
"Steel Breech Kit (.177 cal)" there, wich certainly is an essential upgrade. But I can install that part on my PC77B, right? He- and is it impossible to mount the standart sight on that steel breeh, like crosman announced?

Oh and I have informed myself on improvements of the PC77B. It is possible to increase the feet per second number by 80. And all it takes are a few stronger components. But I don't know everything about it: Under the Barrel there is another pipe wich contains the spring, ecetera. On its rear end it has a fastener, wich some people exchanged for one that is bigger- I guess this upgrade comes with a bigger spring. But of course we shall not discuss this right here- there is a thread especially on tuning I bet.

And I am not planing to throw my money at my gun. I am just a starter and I went for a premium product right from the start because I didn't want to have problems or a lack of quality in any way. Oh- and the community around crosman influeced my decision aswell. Being a member in this forum nothing can go wrong with my gun. I dislike buying crap like the Pecord LP 2. Slightly better looking, but  being a breakbarrel gun (I really prefer the PC77Bs bolt action.) and powerless I ignored its low price. The PC77B has a nice standart look and I think I could customize it in a very nice way even with the circumstanced variability of stocks. I may make on myself.

I can think of converting it into a nice sniper rifle. Somebody did a good job on that. I'll show you a picture in my next post.

And I really like to know how to professionally maintain my pistol.

breakfastchef

Quote from: The German on September 28, 2012, 05:40:10 AMI dislike buying crap like the Pecord LP 2. Slightly better looking, but  being a breakbarrel gun (I really prefer the PC77Bs bolt action.) and powerless I ignored its low price.

I totally agree. You can run to the target faster than a pellet shot from an LP-2.
Larry

The German

Here's the 1377C sniper modification I announced before. I hope I don't violate against anybodies rights to  posting this.

The German

plasticclassic

Quote from: The German on September 28, 2012, 06:21:17 AM
Here's the 1377C sniper modification I announced before. I hope I don't violate against anybodies rights to  posting this.

Isn't that forearm on that sniper an RB super pumper painted? rbgrips.com

The German

They look similar to this custom grip: "Walnut grips for the 1322/1377 pump pistols"on
http://sdcustomdesign.com/parts.htm#grips

Fronzdan

Actually it's green, but I can only tell that if I put it next to something black.  They are hard to come by now.  They occasionally show up for sale, but more often attached to a 13xx that someone's selling.

Squallywally

I read somewhere that the pc77 was made in China and the 1377C was Made in USA. I don't know if that is true.

I believe it was made to sell in Walmart stores. Walmart likes product differentiation so they can have different price and margin structures in their products. It is also a way to control costs. They dictate to their suppliers with the saying, if you want us to sell your products, you need to sell it to us for this price or only sell to us etc. So manufacturers usually cook up exclusives, special deals and the like in order to have Walmart as their customer.
Then as the Walmart deal matures and they made their profits, purchases fades and thus the manufacture has these products manufactured and a surplus, other markets get them, that is why they are available everywhere now. The current Walmart exclusive is the recruit clone "torrent SX".

Wow, I think that is a WOOD super pumper.
That is not a backpacker pump arm.
There is no way I could paint one of Ralph's products.

So.....

If it is plastic, where did you get it? I want one.

JEBert

Looks like one of Ralph's Super Pumper to me.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)