Help! Brand new 1377 will NOT shoot

Started by Tater, October 23, 2012, 10:46:37 PM

Tater

SWEET!!  I only turned the screw slowly half a turn and something clicked. I tried it and it fired!
Thank you guys.   :-*
Now, should I keep it or send it back. I would think the steel breech might cure it but that's just a guess. Plus it's had 5 pumps in it for over an hour, could that hurt seals or something?

Edit: LOL Davio. It's the Chicago way.   ;)
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

jSan22

as i suspected.
the screw was put in too tight, preventing the gun from cocking all the way and firing.

Tater

Does this mean it's keep-able?

P.S.  I haven't shot it after the first shot.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Fronzdan

Wow!!!  That's just lousy quality control.  Makes me wonder if you're getting previously returned stock.  The rear screw shouldn't be that close to bind the spring or foul up the hammer.  Maybe thats a function of plastic breeches??  If you're going to switch to a steel breech anyway, that problem is moot.  You'll be switching to a shorter screw anyway.  I suggest you first fire a bunch of rounds to make sure it's working reliably now.  If all is good, keep it.  Having it pumped up for an hour isn't going to do any harm.

jSan22

you should be able to keep it.  if theres nothing else wrong with it. however, i'd check that hammer spring to see how mcuh damage was done to it.
if it's screwed, i could probably find you one and send it to you.

Tater

Thanks guys, and I will shoot it now. Thanks for the offer jSan but I don't know how to check the hammer spring.
One thing I didn't mention was that the phillips screw head on the back of the sight (to adjust elevation) was caked with white/gray powder and it was on the breech too.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

jSan22

it requires a small bit of disassembly.
using a flat and phillips head screwdriver, take out the back screws (sight adjustment and the screw below the sights)
make sure you have this pointed in a safe direction, and DO not do it while it's cocked.
the spring will shoot out. (and if you did what i told you not to do, it will rocket out across the room and leave a dent in something or someone.)
just check to see if it's bent or canted. if so, you might need a new spring.

Squallywally

I too have a couple of hammer springs and also live in Illinois. If you need one I can send it to you pronto. Just pm if needed.

Tater

Wow, that's very cool of you guys to offer. I read your posts to my wife to show her what kind of great people are on this site (she knows how much I'm on). Nice instructions jSan and I'll check that spring when I do the breech. Where in IL are you Wally?
I shot it a bit and it worked great. Groups were good but I couldn't adjust the elevation low enough but who cares, it's steel breech and red dot time! That will have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

jSan22

glad to help. ive completely disassembled and reassembled my 13xx a couple of times, i know my way around the gun.

Fronzdan

Be careful with your breech screw. Make sure you use the proper Allen wrench.

1377x

Quote from: Tater on October 23, 2012, 11:49:39 PM
SWEET!!  I only turned the screw slowly half a turn and something clicked. I tried it and it fired!
Thank you guys.   :-*
Now, should I keep it or send it back. I would think the steel breech might cure it but that's just a guess. Plus it's had 5 pumps in it for over an hour, could that hurt seals or something?

Edit: LOL Davio. It's the Chicago way.   ;)
look back at reply #1
thats the first thing i told you
when you said it was cocking hard i figured the rear screw was binding the hammer spring
your gun should have all the screws tight what you need to do is shorten the rear breech screw a couple of threads unless your steel breech came with the shorten rear breech screw then i wouldnt mess with it
if the rear steel breech screw didnt come with the kit then the rear screw screw is still going to need shortening
if you have any more troubles as you can see we are here to help :-*
closed mouths dont get fed

Tater

Quote from: 1377x on October 24, 2012, 04:07:08 AM
look back at reply #1
thats the first thing i told you
when you said it was cocking hard i figured the rear screw was binding the hammer spring
your gun should have all the screws tight what you need to do is shorten the rear breech screw a couple of threads unless your steel breech came with the shorten rear breech screw then i wouldnt mess with it
if the rear steel breech screw didnt come with the kit then the rear screw screw is still going to need shortening
if you have any more troubles as you can see we are here to help :-*

You are correct sir, I guess I got caught up in replies and work email and delayed in trying it. You've already given me a ton of help, in PM's too. I didn't shorten the screw (yet) but when I loosened it I shifted the breech a bit too since it was of center. Thursday I'll put on the breech, check the hammer spring and mount the red dot. Can't wait.
I just need to convince the wife that she is seeing things when she notices the 12" barrel I didn't mention to her. I'm hoping it gets here this week.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

1377x

just hide the longer barrel with a muzzlebrake or LDC ;) ;D :-*
closed mouths dont get fed

JEBert

Tater,
I couldn't tell if you adjusted the rear sight before but in case you didn't know, you are supposed to loosen that rear breech screw and move the rear sight to the right or left to adjust the the windage on the rear sight.  When you get a steel breech, the original rear sight won't fit anymore so you will need a new rear sight that fits in the rear dovetail on the steel breech or a scope or red dot sight that fits onto the 3/8"/11mm scope rails.
Before you install the breech, you should check to see how many turns the screws (yes, both the rear breech screw and the rear trigger frame screw) take to go until they are just flush with the inside of the plug threads.  Then install the breech without the hammer spring in the gun and when you get each screw started, back it out until you feel it click so you know it is  not started into the threads yet.  Then turn them in the exact number of turns that they took when you checked to see how many turns they needed to be flush on the inside.  Then keep turning them until they are tight and count the number of turns it took past the number of turns in the beginning.  That is the number of turns you need to grind off of each screw.  That way when you get everything installed and tight the screws won't be  interfering with the hammer spring.  Put a drop of blue Loctite on the threads when you put everything together.  The original screws come with Loctite on them but after screwing them in and out a few times, you should add some more.  I use this method to grind stainless steel Allen screws to the correct length on my guns.  Oh yea, for that rear breech screw, I use a button-head Allen screw so it will be below the breech surface and not interfere with any sights.
Good luck,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)