What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

beejwest

I haven't noticed any real decrease in structural itegrity!  I cut clear throught the big piece of breech to get the bolt to go down far enough.  The smaller piece that snaps in was ground down to match the factory side.  Once put together it seems to regain its rigidity.  I thought about epoxying the small piece in once I had installed the bolt, but I didn't want to lock in my bolt until I knew or not whether it was strong enough without epoxy.  Seems to be fine for me!   :-*

I believe 1377x was who I got the idea from on that link! 

No more forearm finger pinches with the walnut forearm.  Way easier to get leverage to pump and the target style grip on the rear gives your thumb some purchase too when pumping.  All together, way better than stock, although it won't fit in my holster anymore  :( guess I'll have to mod that too! 

I'll work the scratches with 600 grit!  Thanks for the heads up on that!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

1377x

IIRC I think that I posted pics as well. Didn't se the initial  post but I believe you are talking about making the stock breech left hand?? If so I still have mine and it is pretty sturdy for having that much material removed. The bot locked down fine without having to cut all the way down
Another thing to consider is putting a set screw above the transfer port. It keeps the barrel from rolling ans pushes the barrel down on the tp for a better seal
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

Quote from: 1377x on May 23, 2016, 11:46:07 PM
Another thing to consider is putting a set screw above the transfer port. It keeps the barrel from rolling ans pushes the barrel down on the tp for a better seal.

Are you talking about threading the plastic breech above the transfer port so that the set screw would be pushing against the barrel?

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

1377x

Quote from: quickster47 on May 24, 2016, 12:28:01 AM
Are you talking about threading the plastic breech above the transfer port so that the set screw would be pushing against the barrel?

Carl
yep. Don't even need a tap. I used a drill and the set screw. It threaded itself. Very sturdy considering what you're working with
closed mouths dont get fed

CraigH

This should be a new "first mod".  I think I will do this on one of my new unopened 2240's after checking velocity without the screw first.  It is remarkable to some degree that these 13XXs and 22XXs work as well as they do given the simplicity of design and relatively coarse construction.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

sw1115

Great diagram Mr. Quickster

Skip

beejwest

Good idea on the set screw on the plastic breech! 

1377x yup we were talking about you taking the stock breech to lefty.  I copied and it worked fantastic.
Full blown Crosmaniac.

beejwest

$64.97 and a spankin' new 2240 and two tins of CPHP's are enroute so I can start my stubby!! Amazon has a $10 off Crosman coupon right now, that plus prime and it's a good time to buy!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

BigErn

Quote from: beejwest on May 24, 2016, 11:07:16 PM
$64.97 and a spankin' new 2240 and two tins of CPHP's are enroute so I can start my stubby!! Amazon has a $10 off Crosman coupon right now, that plus prime and it's a good time to buy!

I paid more for 2240 parts from Crosman  :-[  I could have got a whole new 2240  ;D

mudduck48

But, would you have used all of the stock parts? ???
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

beejwest

No, but the parts bin always needs refreshment from time to time!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

beejwest

FedEx showed up at 10AM!  Way earlier than UPS does here!  :)  Had to put a couple carts through the new bone stock 2240 before I take it all apart to start the stubby.  Man I forgot how LOUD those things were without.....well.....with...ah well, they're loud!  Now to the shop!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

UKairgunner

I spent 30 wasted mins looking for the top seal of my 2240 port( thinking ive dropped it from the bench ) only to discover they dont have any :-X :-X

It seems weird that its a metal to metal connection..ive ordered some GMA top seals for next time its in bits
Crosman  2240  ,swifty "stumpy" moderator,Hawke red dot

beejwest

I've heard the .22 bolt orings fit snuggly on the top of the TP and help nicely!  You can buy a whole pack on amazon for about $3. 
Full blown Crosmaniac.

arkmaker †

Just did a barrel re-crown for someone and thought I better do one for my Gauntlet entry at the same time. I like this type of crown which has a c-bore and then an 11 degree chamfer on the bore. Same as on my Browning Challenger II.
Pics suck, but you can get the idea.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22