What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

JMJinNC

Jerry, I had a loose screw in front of the grip frame that caused a loss in accuracy on my carbine. Since its hidden by the pump handle, it was not obvious until I felt the wobble in the whole gun.

Just something else to consider.

JMJ
John

RinCG

Timely reminder to check the screws. Wasn't having an issue but the front grip screw was 3/4 turn from tight! Saved me from chasing a zero problem. thanks!

Tater

Quote from: JMJinNC on July 13, 2016, 01:15:54 AM
Jerry, I had a loose screw in front of the grip frame that caused a loss in accuracy on my carbine. Since its hidden by the pump handle, it was not obvious until I felt the wobble in the whole gun.

Just something else to consider.

JMJ

Thanks, I haven't checked that one yet. This gun is so far off, by inches at 20'.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

DRAGON64

Quote from: Tater on July 13, 2016, 08:07:55 AM
Thanks, I haven't checked that one yet. This gun is so far off, by inches at 20'.

With my defective airtube, my 1377 was shooting two+ inches to the left!! From the shooters view point, the front barrel band was leaning a good 5 to 7 degrees to the right. This brought the barrel far off center.  Aiming down the sights brought the point of impact back way left.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

DRAGON64

Work?  Today I was a pupil.  I talked for nearly an hour with David, owner/operator of Alchemy Works.  The conversation, which centered around work to be done on my 1377, was both eye-opening and informative.  If you want to know more, give him a call and ask... he really seems to know his stuffs!
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tater

Quote from: DRAGON64 on July 13, 2016, 02:28:41 PM
With my defective airtube, my 1377 was shooting two+ inches to the left!! From the shooters view point, the front barrel band was leaning a good 5 to 7 degrees to the right. This brought the barrel far off center.  Aiming down the sights brought the point of impact back way left.

Thanks. For some reason, there is no visual signs of it being off. I've had a few experienced airgunners look at it too and they didn't see anything off.

Quote from: DRAGON64 on July 13, 2016, 07:41:19 PM
Work?  Today I was a pupil.  I talked for nearly an hour with David, owner/operator of Alchemy Works.  The conversation, which centered around work to be done on my 1377, was both eye-opening and informative.  If you want to know more, give him a call and ask... he really seems to know his stuffs!

Yep, David is a really great guy.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

RinCG

Installed an AGS adjustable cupped piston after I added a milk jug shim in the cup to piston gap. Preadjusted the piston to match the oem piston and as installed had @ 1/2"+ cam over. Chrony'd and am impressed as I didn't expect much. As it sits I gained 2+ pumps of velocity. 490 fps @ 6 pumps and 600 @ 10.
I consider that a success. Goals achieved with only slightly invasive mods.

JC1

I finally got all the parts that I have needed to work on the sight of my 2240. Put the steel breech on and the Gero red dot sight. I had to order anadapter for the sight to fit the dovetail rails on the steel breech which ran the cost up some, but this was in the sight description. The pistol shoots great at around 33 feet I can put five pellets that can be covered by a quarter. That is good for an old man.

Now I have a question from a newbie, what is a flat top valve and flat top pison? Also how to install that on this 2240? This question has probably been answered on the forum but I can't find it. I appreciate the advise I was given on the adapter for the sight and do appreciate the help that has been given.

I realize the mods and some of the others are holding their sides laughing as my ignorance shows, but thanks any way.

JC

RinCG

Quote from: JC1 on July 15, 2016, 11:27:51 PM
I finally got all the parts that I have needed to work on the sight of my 2240. Put the steel breech on and the Gero red dot sight. I had to order anadapter for the sight to fit the dovetail rails on the steel breech which ran the cost up some, but this was in the sight description. The pistol shoots great at around 33 feet I can put five pellets that can be covered by a quarter. That is good for an old man.

Now I have a question from a newbie, what is a flat top valve and flat top pison? Also how to install that on this 2240? This question has probably been answered on the forum but I can't find it. I appreciate the advise I was given on the adapter for the sight and do appreciate the help that has been given.

I realize the mods and some of the others are holding their sides laughing as my ignorance shows, but thanks any way.

JC
You won't need the ftp/ftv JC, they are used in the 13XX series. No laughing involved  ;) I feel the same way when these characters here start talking CO2 mods.
Glad you have your sights sorted, with a bit more shooting you'll be at a nickel  :-*

CraigH

I remember well thinking the same a few months ago.  The flattop piston and valve are for pumpers, 1377, 1322, 2289, and some rifles.  The Crosman pumper valve and piston are conical and inverted cone respectively.  The idea is to provide zero headspace during pumping and better sealing with an o-ring vs the pump cup.  They are not for 2240, 50, and 60 CO2 guns.  There is a different sort of valve mod for CO2 guns, but someone else will have to answer that.

Here is an excellent picture - no testimonial, I have not used the product.  Scroll down about 1/3 of the page.  There is also a link showing the difference.

http://www.airgunsmith.com/cros1377/cros1322-77.htm
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

JC1

Thanks for the information, I have the pumper also but these old arms get tired before I can shoot it much. That is the reason I have switched to the CO2 model. Still do not know very much about these as one can tell. But I do enjoy fooling with them.

Thanks again gor the information

JC

targettgii

Jc if you want to up the power on your 2240 you need to either get an RP valve from Davio or a Boss valve from Baker airguns.I have a Boss in my 2240 and am very happy with it the shot count is cut in half but you have more power.Davios valve doesn't give the power of the boss but there are a few guys on here that have them and are very satisfied. https://www.bakerairguns.com/
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

DRAGON64

I had a spare piston for a 1377 on hand, so I tried my hand at making a "stuffed" piston.  The rods, o-ring and washer mods worked great.  Then I hosed it all up by trying to heat some heat shrink onto the piston to hold the rods in... made a sticky gooey mess, slightly warped the piston, and thus failed the project... lesson learned.

arkmaker †

If you need another stock piston, I have a spare or two I can send next time I post parts to mail. Let me know, just gathering dust here!
Flat tops have been on my short list for a while now, so sometime in the future, I'll have those also.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

DRAGON64

Quote from: arkmaker on July 18, 2016, 03:01:35 PM
If you need another stock piston, I have a spare or two I can send next time I post parts to mail. Let me know, just gathering dust here!
Flat tops have been on my short list for a while now, so sometime in the future, I'll have those also.
Rich

Thank you for the offer.  As I do not have a spare any longer, I would be down for one, so I will be watching for your parts to mail.

My parts are in from Alchemy Werks, so this evening I will start modding my PC77 build.  I am also having a Benjamin Marauder barrel machined to fit my build so as to take advantage of the 'choke' for accuracy.