Sticky TKO LDC

Started by 7624452, November 03, 2012, 07:40:29 PM

I just received a TKO LDC.  I put it on a 14 ½ inch barreled 1322 to test it.  I pushed it on about an inch.  It works really well, but when I tried to remove it I could not get it off.  I do not want to damage it and it is intended for a different gun.  Any suggestions?
Stranded in California.

BigErn

It is for your gun. They press fit on, then you tighten the two set screws. After removing it a few times it will get easier. Make sure the set screws are loose before removing the brake!

M2

I have EXACTLY the same problem, and have been thinking about:
1) Wrapping layers of paper towels/masking tape around the barrel just behind the LDC to act as a heat shield.
2) Putting the barrel with LDC attached (or whole gun?) in the freezer for a few hours.
3) Taking it out and immediately hit the LDC with a hair dryer on high while rotating the barrel for ~30 seconds to one minute, then pull on the barrel end of the LDC (while wearing a glove).

I've used this approach successfully for other stuck things in the past and thought it would be safer than banging on things, at least as a first attempt.

I will admit to having tapped it on (to avoid twisting as mentioned in the instructions) a little harder than I though proper at the time. Turns out I was right, and a dummy, at the same time.

BDS

They are normally undersize by a  few tenths to make for a tight and concentric fit.

Get a 3/8 wood dowel and some 600 grit emery paper and polish the ID a little, it's made for 7/16" barrels, just like yours. :-*
Brian

Quote from: BDS on November 03, 2012, 10:36:25 PM
They are normally undersize by a  few tenths to make for a tight and concentric fit.

Get a 3/8 wood dowel and some 600 grit emery paper and polish the ID a little, it's made for 7/16" barrels, just like yours. :-*
I'll do a little sanding whenever I manage to get it off.  I thought I would be safe by only pushing it in an inch.  It appears that I will have to take the gun apart and tap it off with a wood block.
Stranded in California.

Fronzdan

You can't just turn it while pulling?  I can never pull it straight off.  Have to rotate it to get it moving.

cmj21973

If all else fails, drill a 7/16" hole in a piece of scrap wood. Insert the barrel and tap the TKO.

1377x

wiggle not twist while pulling.try a little vigorous wiggling
closed mouths dont get fed

I finally got it off.  I drilled a 7/16 hole in a block of wood and found a piece of metal tubing that was a little bigger than 7/16 and tapped it off with the tube over the wood block (also had to do a little wiggling).  I also sanded the inside of the tube a little with 400 grit emery paper followed by crocus cloth.  It is still tight, but it now goes on and off without too much effort.  Thank you all for your input.
Stranded in California.

cmj21973

Glad to hear you got the TKO problem sorted out. :-*

chongman

I have a TKO and went through the same thing. Before I even got it in place I did the inside sanding.

The TKO is nice product. I think what happens is they are made at a certain inside dia. for Crosman 7/16" barrels but if you get to measuring barrels you will find some differences in outside dimensions. When I got a Clague brand he asked for measurements in three places on the barrel so the the fit would be perfect....it was  :)
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

KevinP

Quote from: chongman on November 04, 2012, 12:59:55 PM
I have a TKO and went through the same thing. Before I even got it in place I did the inside sanding.

The TKO is nice product. I think what happens is they are made at a certain inside dia. for Crosman 7/16" barrels but if you get to measuring barrels you will find some differences in outside dimensions. When I got a Clague brand he asked for measurements in three places on the barrel so the the fit would be perfect....it was  :)

For sure, fits on my 2240 just fine, had to drive it off my 2400 ( the barrel IS bigger )
Kevin
Albany, New York

1377x

Quote from: KevinP on November 04, 2012, 01:22:39 PM
For sure, fits on my 2240 just fine, had to drive it off my 2400 ( the barrel IS bigger )
what kind of barrel does your 2400 have?

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

1377x

Quote from: KevinP on November 04, 2012, 04:15:29 PM
Crosman 14.5
and i thought you was going to say an aftermarket barrel
crosman qc at its finest ;)