.177 lw barrel question

Started by 1377x, November 28, 2012, 05:27:41 AM

1377x

today i was looking at my .177 LW barrel and noticed a pellet was still in the barrel.what happened was the last pellet was loaded and the gun ran out of co2.i removed the barrel from the gun peered through it and noticed light all around the pellet.i took a straw and pushed the pellet into the rifling thinking the light would disappear,it did not.instead it easily slid further into the barrel with no resistance.
why is the pellet so loose in the bore? ???
now i want the pellet out of the barrel.just for kicks and giggle i decided to plug the transfer port hole and blew into the barrel.to my surprise the pellet shot out the muzzle end of the barrel with just the wind in my lungs

is this normal for a .177 LW barrel to have rifling so loose against the pellet? ???
the pellet is a 8.8gr crow mag
closed mouths dont get fed

cheewee

dont have any experience with lw barrels but that just dont seem right to me. but then again you may have super human lungs. how was the gun shooting before?
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

1377x

Quote from: cheewee on November 28, 2012, 05:35:57 AM
dont have any experience with lw barrels but that just dont seem right to me. but then again you may have super human lungs. how was the gun shooting before?
by me being in the hospital for 3 months straight i lost a lot of lung air capacity,so no super lungs for me
the pellet went to where the red dot was pointed never got a chance to do an accuracy test.i was going to put the gun in a vise and take 10 shots if the pellets all landed in an acceptable group then i would assume the the barrel was good to go.this was not going to be a sight in test group,just an unsighted test to see if the pellets were going to group as they should with LW quality

tinker

Pellets usually get stick a little to the bore when pushed past the port into the rifling leaving marks on both the head and skirt of the pellet from the rifling.  And aren't the LW barrels supposed to be choked too?  Seems more than unusual ???

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

1377x

same thing i am thinking
but if someone bought a 23"-28" lw barrel cut it in half made 2 barrels out of it one would be choked and the other not chocked
if it was a .20 barrel then the .177 barrel would fall straight through right? ???

Gippeto

I purchased and mounted a 16mm LW barrel blank in .177 on my QB...there is no way you could blow a pellet through that barrel with lung power. Pushing pellets through the barrel results in nice and even rifling marks on the head of the pellet (and the skirt of course!). The choke is VERY noticable as well.

Pellet skirts will obdurate when fired..sealing the bore.

Shoot and see I suppose.

Al

rangerfredbob

what about a sub par pellet? I don't know about all tins but I was shooting a couple weeks ago and found two odd shaped pellets in a tin of .22 CPHP's, one looked like it was somehow just too small diameter at the head and skirt, the other looked like it was a .20 pellet made on purpose that got in the wrong tin... both I found the hard way when loading into a break barrel as they fell on the floor :)
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

1377x

Quote from: Gippeto on November 28, 2012, 07:23:26 AM
I purchased and mounted a 16mm LW barrel blank in .177 on my QB...there is no way you could blow a pellet through that barrel with lung power. Pushing pellets through the barrel results in nice and even rifling marks on the head of the pellet (and the skirt of course!). The choke is VERY noticable as well.

Pellet skirts will obdurate when fired..sealing the bore.

Shoot and see I suppose.

Al
are you saying its possible to have the light come through the bore and when the pellet is fired then the skirt opens up sealing the the bore?
    every barrel i have had i could not blow a pellet through it i have tried to to see if its air tight and i could not see any light through it either.another thing is the gun was severely under powered i think i mentioned it in earlier posts in the my custom 2300 thread. i attributed it to the disco valve sealing the bleed hole and an underpowered 2240 hammer spring for the disco valve.i didnt get blowby at the bolt,if it was chambered by someone they chambered it for a .177 bolt
other than sticking a .20 pellet down the muzzle is there any other way to check and see if its a .20 barrel.i still think a .177 pellet would fall straight through a .20 barrel

it is possible the pellet could be under sized but a 8.8gr pellet is larger than a 7 or 8gr pellet.come to think of it the bolt closed very easy with the lw barrel and crow mags,the crosman.177 barrel is hard to close with the crow mags

Crosshairs

That dont sound right at all, if anything it should be a bit hard to push a pellet through any barrel because of the rifeling. It sounds like a freak pellet of even the whole tin did you try different pellets.
                                Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

eric

this is the smallest OD .20 cal LW barrel so chances are slim yours is a .20 unless your barrel is turned down or your breech opened up
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

1377x

you never know!
the crown on the barrel is different from the crown on the crosman lw barrels
it has a target crown on it
someone mentioned the lw barrels that airforce guns use that style of crown.it could be a machined af lw barrel
i got the barrel third hand as far as i know could be more
droid bought it from somone then it came to me
the rifling is deep so i know the barrel isnt worn out
the crow mags are the biggest .177 pellets i have.i'll try a few different pellets when i get a chance.

tinker

I guess the only way to find out is to slug the barrel with a piece of pure lead and measure the diameter.   I've shot the crow mags for years and never had one slide thru a barrel like yours.
(Tinker)

1377x

Quote from: tinker on November 28, 2012, 08:14:55 PM
I guess the only way to find out is to slug the barrel with a piece of pure lead and measure the diameter.   I've shot the crow mags for years and never had one slide thru a barrel like yours.
good idea
i have a buch of used bullets and pellets what do i need to melt them
would a stainless steel cup work?

Gippeto

Slugging sounds a good idea. :)

Could try pushing a pellet about half way into the bore, then insert pieces of dowel from each end. Stand the mess up on a counter and give the upper most rod a couple taps with a mallet.

Remove the dowels and push the now (hopefully) bore sized pellet out for measuring.

Heaviest pellets are not necessarily the largest in diameter either...have a tin of Gamo magnums 15.8grain that don't shoot worth sh!te...the heads vary in size from .216" (good) to .210" (WAY too loose for the bore)

My bad on spelling as well....it's obturation...not obduration.

Al

tinker

A tin can would work and mapp gas torch, done in a melted in a minute.  You wouldn't need much lead.

Glen
(Tinker)