Washing Pellets?

Started by AS13, January 01, 2013, 10:12:25 PM

AS13

I saw a video a while back on washing your pellets to help accuracy. So I gave it a shot. After they dried, I shot another 20 rounds at 30 feet. The group did shrink a bit. I can't say this had any effect on accuracy. It's a new gun. Only have a total of 90 rounds through it. I would think the barrel is still "breaking in." In addition I am getting used to the feel of it. So this might have something to do with improved accuracy. Has any else tried washing the pellets? Did it improve accuracy?
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

bgmcgee

Me,I just load them and shoot them. Figure I ain't going to see any difference cause I ain't that good. :)
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

breakfastchef

One thing you forgot to do was lube the pellets. When you wash the pellets, you remove a protective film that prevents the lead from oxidizing. Replacing the film you washed off is necessary to protect the pellets. Do some searches on lubing pellets to find some stuff you can use. I have used KryTech Wax Lubricant.

The discussion of washing and lubing to attain greater acuracy is long and involved. Shooters may use multiple sorting and lubing methods to find what procedure(s) work best for their purposes.
Larry

arkmaker †

Uhh yeah. I started a wash test and forgot about the pellets sitting in a soapy solution. They corroded and I ended up throwing them out, so make sure you don;t let them sit more than 24 to 48 hours and then re-lube them  :-[ 
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

i just got some tins of hn extreme hunters
they are oily as a greasers hair ;) gotta love the outsiders
anyway does anyone know if they come from hn like that? i bought them off a forum classifieds
closed mouths dont get fed

AS13

Like Breakfastchef mentioned, this can be a never ending story. Evidently no need when shooting under 750 fps. The use of pellgun oil on the cartridge tip provides lubrication when shooting which helps in keeping the bore clean. Some people do some don't.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

1377x

all my guns shoot 800fps and above
i guess its a good thing my hunter extremes came lubed

breakfastchef

Quote from: 1377x on January 02, 2013, 08:00:23 PM
all my guns shoot 800fps and above
i guess its a good thing my hunter extremes came lubed

All pellets come from the manufacturers with some type of lubricant or protectant.
Larry

BDS

Oh Joy!  :D The wash, size, lube topic... this thread is bound for 1000 posts (arguments)  :D  ;D

Maybe we should know that Olympic 10 meter shooters don't do any of the above and... also don't clean barrels (mostly).
Brian

breakfastchef

Quote from: BDS on January 02, 2013, 08:32:45 PM
Oh Joy!  :D The wash, size, lube topic... this thread is bound for 1000 posts (arguments)  :D  ;D

Maybe we should know that Olympic 10 meter shooters don't do any of the above and... also don't clean barrels (mostly).

They most certainly do sort pellets in some fashion. I doubt they would randomly pluck from an fresh tin.
Larry

AS13

Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

BDS

Quote from: breakfastchef on January 02, 2013, 08:40:28 PM
They most certainly do sort pellets in some fashion. I doubt they would randomly pluck from an fresh tin.

"size"... not sort, they prob do sort by head size and weight as labeled on the fresh tins of the best stuff like H&Ns
Brian

WyoMan

Quote from: bgmcgee on January 01, 2013, 10:25:41 PM
Me,I just load them and shoot them. Figure I ain't going to see any difference cause I ain't that good. :)
That is what I do with JSB but if I used CP's from the tin I might consider washing.....I do check skirts before loading
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

1377x

Quote from: breakfastchef on January 02, 2013, 08:17:18 PM
All pellets come from the manufacturers with some type of lubricant or protectant.
yeah but ???
every other tin i bought wasnt dripping wet with lube like the .25 hn hunter extremes but they are the first .25 pellets i bought and i bought them off the classifieds forum so i guess the seller might have added the extra lube.i was counting them and checking them for damage when i found out how wet they are.glad i posted here forgot i seperated the damaged ones. now i have some to season the barrel with ;)
the .25 hn crow mags were not that wet either though
i cant get the pellet out of the tin it just slips out of my fingers,i have to dump them into my hand.