new model backpacker )=

Started by turrrrdle, January 03, 2013, 07:16:28 PM

turrrrdle

just got my new backerpacker. it was advertised as the 14 inch barrel. the add said 30 total not 28 total inches. very disapointed!! should i keep it or just return it and get a 1322? if i keep it i do plan to do any and all free mods. and was woundering if i can do [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zkXguyEU6c#]Light upgrade Crosman 1377[/url] or is this just for the 13xx? i am kinda new to airguns and deffinitly never modified any before.

thank you

ps would also like to find some parts to make my own swage like the nomad. unless that pellet is to heavy for a bacpacker? but i have a couple thousand .177
troll on troll, you know who you are.

Fronzdan

Yep the barrel isn't the 14".  You won't see a huge difference with the two inches.  (Wide open for some jokes here)

The video you linked...man that's a lot of work to get an extended probe.  I guess if you didn't want to spend any money, that would be the way to go.  But you can buy a beautifully machined bolt with nicer handle and extended probe for $12 from Charlie Mellon, but you'd have to wait.  A bunch of others make/sell them too.  And before long I'm sure our very own Chongman will be turning out bolts to go along with his nice handles.

If you ever do a steel breech upgrade, that OEM bolt would get replaced anyway.

Now the o-ring on the Transfer Port sleeve...I like that one.  But how do you know a lighte will have that exact size?

josey88

Yeap, I was just thinking exactly the same ; that is a lot of work for an extended probe ... You can get a SS beautiful , complete bolt/oversize cilinder handle with O ring from Don Cothran for $16.50 and you don`t even have to wait , can have it shipped next day

turrrrdle

well i thank you for your replies, however if you think that is alot of work i have to ask. what do you do for a living? at the very most this would take 1/2 a hour epoxy time included with fast cure and that is stretching it. i would have to work over a hour to buy this for $16. fronzdan did say something about the oem bolt would be replaced with a steel breech. does this mean i will have to replace it if and when i get a steel breech or can the oem fit?

thank you i do appreciate your replies

btw i took apart a lighter. i think he using russian lighter because my US lighter has a smaller oring  :P

WyoMan

Quotefronzdan did say something about the oem bolt would be replaced with a steel breech. does this mean i will have to replace it if and when i get a steel breech or can the oem fit?
The handle needs to detach from the bolt to install in a steel breech, can be done with OEM but most upgrade to extended probe / flow thru with screw handle - hth
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

cmj21973

Quote from: turrrrdle on January 04, 2013, 05:11:46 AM
well i thank you for your replies, however if you think that is alot of work i have to ask. what do you do for a living? at the very most this would take 1/2 a hour epoxy time included with fast cure and that is stretching it. i would have to work over a hour to buy this for $16. fronzdan did say something about the oem bolt would be replaced with a steel breech. does this mean i will have to replace it if and when i get a steel breech or can the oem fit?

thank you i do appreciate your replies

btw i took apart a lighter. i think he using russian lighter because my US lighter has a smaller oring  :P

The lighter o-ring is a little small, but it works.
To get it onto the transfer sleeve:
Use a drill bit that fits into the sleeve. Slide the o-ring onto the bit's shank, the part that goes into the chuck. Slide the sleeve on and then just work the o-ring onto the sleeve.

Crosshairs

I would keep it i like the shorter barrel i have the old backpacker and if your going to use it for it's name it fits better in the backpack. Two inches really wont matter much well at least for a barrel  ;D.
                                   Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

howie1968

i got my backpacker 2289 and i love the gun!!! im ok with the 12 inch barell and also looking at upgrades im not mechanical at all so i may send it off i think i can handle the steel reciever but we will see
I am a hunting guide In texas and Colorado
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

Fronzdan

If you get a steel breech, every one I know of comes with bolt, unless purchased used and the person keeps it.  As WyoMan said, it's possible to drill out the OEM one, tap the hole etc...but it's usually not necessary since you get a bolt with a screw in handle.  The handle has to detach in order for it to be inserted into a steel breech.

turrrrdle

ok so i gona keep it while getting famaliar with the guts of my "disapointment"  :( i was looking at wat i think is the transfere port not realy sure. but it is the lil dohicky air flows into the barrel. this thing looks like i can hog it out a bit. would this improve performance or degrade it? and if i do should i need to port out the barrel and what ever the name of the other tube this peice plugs into?

BDS

turrdle... you may want to do some research and reading here, and on other forums or the web too, the doo-hickey is called a transfer port

Google 1377 transfer port mod and you should get a ton o' info.

This topic/issue has been beat hard over the years with mixed results, so you can save some time and effort by checking it out first.

PS the transfer port sealing (o-ring or teflon tape) prob does more to improve performance than any diametrical changes, IMO.
Brian

WyoMan

Well said BDS.......jury still out on enlarging beyond .140" stock
The better flow from less restriction is offset somewhat from the increase in parasitic transfer volume
Also, the gas / air is not accelerated to high velocities that close to valve (most energy still in the form of pressure)
I believe you can do a little good on the .22 and higher cal (maybe 5 - 10 fps) than the .177 but I don't go more than .150"
PCP/CO2 is a completely different horse....
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Fronzdan

Teflon tape...ya learn something every day around here.  I may go try that.