Contemplating First Mod - Improved Open Sights

Started by ajhuff, January 06, 2013, 11:58:38 PM

ajhuff

Hello all,

First post and hopefully I put it in the right place. As promised I searched the archives first.  :) I have spent a few hours reading through old threads, searching and searching.

I bought a 2240 last month and would like to give my practicing in improving my accuracy it's best possible chance. I'm thinking improved sights is the best first step.

I think this means I need to replace the stock plastic breech first?  I'm not completely sure on that. I see a steel breech kit on eBay from a seller named Retrobox. Then could I add a Crosman LPA Mim rear sight? Is this a good route to go?

As an alternative, looking through the various mods posted I found a post showing a rear sight made by Blue Fork Design that I like. I assume if I went this route I should match it with an aluminum Blue Fork Design breech? http://www.hpasports.com/pages/product-catalog-detail/13-22xx_Right_Handed_Long_Breech_w-rear_sight_base?previous_url_id=0
Or, is this really overkill for a mostly stock pistol?

Thanks for any input,

-AJ

blake.l

If it where me I'd go with the Crosman long steel breech then go for a williams notch or peep site, maybe even a good red dot or scope....

bgmcgee

One of the first things I did to my 1377 was add the steel breech and a Mueller holo sight. I love this sight much easier for my eyes and it has a small real defined dot. Of course the sight was more than the pistol but that's the way these things go.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

breakfastchef

Quote from: blake.l on January 07, 2013, 12:09:02 AM
If it where me I'd go with the Cosman long steel breech then go for a williams notch or peep site

Absolutely! I prefer the Williams Notch sight. It is very well built, has excellent range of adjustment, knobs provide solid click feedback and it will fit on the Crosman steel breech. The only downside is it can be a 'knuckle-buster' if you are not careful pulling the bolt back.

The LPA MIM sight is also quite nice and compact. Both are excellent choices. Photos of a Williams Notch and LPA MIM sight mounted on Crosman pistols so you can see how it may look.

Larry

JEBert

The Crosman steel breech will give you the most sight-mounting options.  All of the above mentioned sights are better than the factory setup.  Some of them will having you figure out how to make your front sight taller or change out the front sight.  The first thing I would do to it though (while waiting on the breech) is polish all of the trigger/sear/hammer contact points and lighten up the sear spring.  It much improves the trigger pull and is dirt cheap.  There are better trigger options but they all cost more.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

ajhuff

Thanks for the replies so far.

The Williams  sight was my first choice but it looked rather bulky. I liked the compact look of the LPA Mim sight or the Blue Fork sight.

I don't mind spending money on good products but I don't want to spend extra money on things that are only marginally better or just equal. You know, no point spending money on high dolar octane if my 94 Dodge can't tell the difference.  ;)

Sounds like an overwhelming consensus for the steel Crosman breech. I guess if the Wiliams sight requires a modification to the front sight the Blue Fork Design front sight is a consideration???

Thanks for the trigger info JEBert. I'll search through the archives on that topic.

-AJ

chongman

As noted above, a steel breech is a very fine way to go.

The LPA MIM rear sight can be a hard item to get your hands on at times. It looks fantastic on a pistol due to its compact size and works very well with a stock plastic front sight.

I have the BlueFork front sight is a well made part, fit on the barrel is excellent . The "light pipe" is a little small but overall it's outstanding.

I have the "monster, careful to not bust a knuckle" Williams blade rear sight on a Crosman steel breech. Very nicely made with high precision adjustments built into it. It also has the "cool" factor.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...