Shooting paper

Started by mackelby, February 01, 2013, 05:00:50 AM

quickster47 †

As far as target paper goes I've been using what they call 'tag' paper for printing my targets.  it works pretty good but not as good as Edelmann Targets.  I'm also now experimenting with 100# card stock that Staples printed me a count of 100 targets to try.

I also use wadcutter pellets for target shooting.  They give a much cleaner/sharper punch on the paper.

Another thing I am building is a new target box that uses rubber mulch made from old tires and such.  My problem is how to keep the stuff in place after you put it in a box.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

ajhuff

Quote from: farrlarr on February 01, 2013, 09:04:27 PM
WyoMan posted a picture that is as good as any you will see, although there are lots of threads here and on Gaterway to Airguns on making duct seal pellet traps.  Since it appears you are not familiar with duct seal, you can buy it at Lowe's or Home Depot, or other big box stores of that type.  It is found in the electrical section, not in plumbing (which is where most employees will try to direct you, since they have no idea what it is).  It is usually found on the bottom shelf in a white box that is only two blocks wide (see the picture for what a block is), and there will seldom be very many blocks in the box; you may have to ask someone to check for other stock.  Here is a link so you will have some idea what you are looking for:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100212441/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=duct+seal&storeId=10051#.UQwfh2ftJ0Q

Glad you told me that! Now I don't need to order it online. I had no idea.

-AJ

WyoMan

Thanks for kind words mr farrlarr  :) .....I had to go to 3 different HD's to find the duct seal
wish someone like you had told me it was in electrical because the help there didn't know
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Crosshairs

Quote from: arkmaker on February 01, 2013, 10:29:30 PM
duct seal junkies  ;D ;D  they are going to think we are making crack or something.. a run on duct seal!
lol Rich i have 3 target holders with duct seal but been wanting to try the rubber stuff like Carl is doing.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Crosshairs

Quote from: WyoMan on February 02, 2013, 01:19:19 AM
Thanks for kind words mr farrlarr  :) .....I had to go to 3 different HD's to find the duct seal
wish someone like you had told me it was in electrical because the help there didn't know
I like the handle you made Wyo it reminds me of wood shop from school.
                                                 Mike

breakfastchef

I continue to have very good results with targets printed on typical printer paper. I know that better quality, heavier stock does lend itself to more precise holes from pellets, but the standard paper works fine as long as 1) you use a firm backer and 2) the target is flat against the backer. I prefer using foam-core board (available from art/craft stores), but also get good results from cardboard and corrugated cardboard. Backers should be changed frequently to prevent shooting into previous pellet holes.
Larry

WyoMan

Quote from: Crosshairs on February 02, 2013, 01:24:25 AM
I like the handle you made Wyo it reminds me of wood shop from school.
                                                 Mike
Thanks Mike  :) .....My 7th grade woodshop project, still works after 42 years  ;D

But back to paper targets...I do what you do...print on construction paper or card stock  :-*
Chef, I used that foam core stuff and it worked really well but then I ran out
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Daysailer

I use regular copier paper, cheap light weight kind and get perfect holes in my paper at 400fps.

I made a duct  seal insert for my trap that the target can be stuck directly to the duct seal.
Freshly cleaned and smoothed after each target, I can even find and prove which hole was the
perfect 'one holer' with 2 or more pellets stacked.

For the  power i shoot indoors, 1/2" thick duct seal is more than enough to stop my HW30 and Walther LGR at 620fps
with 7.9 grain pellets...even if up to 5 shots are stacked in same hole. 
1/2" also stops  my FWB 124, (12fpe)...once,, no double hits.

Here is a target from last years CAPOF on-line match that I shot last year.
Adjust the wind, we cannot.....Adjust our sails (or windage), we should.

farrlarr

Quote from: WyoMan on February 02, 2013, 01:19:19 AM

De nada.  You did a good job.

It is a good thing that we have folks around to pass on the info about duct seal [I benefited from someone else explaining it (don't remember who at this point)] since I have only found one Lowe's employee to date, and none at Home Depot (either here or in Corpus Christi, Texas), who had any idea what it was or where to find it.  I guess it is just too exotic a product for anyone in the store to know about it!
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."

mackelby

Seeing as how I cannot figure out how to put a previous comment in blue to respond to a certain part of a comment, I will cut a and paste. Carl, you said "Another thing I am building is a new target box that uses rubber mulch made from old tires and such.  My problem is how to keep the stuff in place after you put it in a box." I was wondering would saran wrap work? Maybe if it wasn't stretched to tight? 

Crosshairs

Quote from: mackelby on February 02, 2013, 04:58:12 PM
Seeing as how I cannot figure out how to put a previous comment in blue to respond to a certain part of a comment, I will cut a and paste. Carl, you said "Another thing I am building is a new target box that uses rubber mulch made from old tires and such.  My problem is how to keep the stuff in place after you put it in a box." I was wondering would saran wrap work? Maybe if it wasn't stretched to tight? 

I think carpet might work.

cheewee

i stuff my pellet trap with old magazines. trouble is deciding which ones to sacrifice, naturally the wife and kids mags go first but when i get to mine i end up reading more than stuffing  ??? i then use a clipboard clip top and bottom to hold target firm.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

arkmaker †

How about an old air filter to hold the tire mulch in place. Kind of self healing to a point I would think, but would still need to be changed out frequently? What do they use at the PB ranges? Next time I go to mine I will ask. They use the mulch there.

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

breakfastchef

I have two rubber mulch traps. Both going strong with over a year of use. I retain the mulch with a sheet of corrugated cardboard and a few stiff wires inserted from one sode of the box to the other. The cardboard does need to be replaced fairly frequently. I have cleaned the mulch two times by dumping it out, shaking most of the pellets towards the bottom and taking handfulls of mulch and dumping back into the trap.

Larry

quickster47 †

The cardboard is a good idea and that is what I will probably end up using for my first attempt.  Cheap and easy to replace.

Sure do wish there was something like cardboard that would be sort of self healing.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †