Shooting paper

Started by mackelby, February 01, 2013, 05:00:50 AM

mackelby

Do most of you paper shooters use .177? I am putting huge holes in the 5 meter targets. Seems like it would be hard to score especially if you put pellets side by side. 

breakfastchef

I prefer .177 for paper targets. I periodcially will use .20 or .22. As long as you have a firm backer to the target and use wadcutters, you should get nice crisp holes that are not difficult to score.

Scoring gauges are a nice accessory to have. Other ways to differentiate scores are to look for evidence of the pellet skirt marks on the paper and simply placing unfired pellets on the target to try and decipher groupings.
Larry

Crosshairs

Yeah it's a pain in the butt I put construction paper behind mine it helps some. On print it on construction paper sometimes.
Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

RC1947

I shoot mostly .177, but .22 occasionally for targets. RC

HappyHunter

Quote from: mackelby on February 01, 2013, 05:00:50 AM
I am putting huge holes in the 5 meter targets. 

I cut empty cereal boxes (end up getting 2 backers per box) and tape my targets to them. Pretty low-tech, but leaves nice, crisp holes in both .177 and .22  :-*

As Breakfastchef stated, using wadcutters will make the best holes...

Todd
Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

BDS

If you are shooting .177 for precision at 10 meters, the DIY paper targets on printer paper won't cut it. You will need the heavy card stock NRA type targets and good wadcutter pellets, your shots will be very easy to measure or score (clean cut holes)
Brian

Tater

Quote from: HappyHunter on February 01, 2013, 06:07:54 PM
I cut empty cereal boxes (end up getting 2 backers per box) and tape my targets to them. Pretty low-tech, but leaves nice, crisp holes in both .177 and .22  :-*

As Breakfastchef stated, using wadcutters will make the best holes...

Todd

I do the exact same thing here.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

mackelby

So the thicker cardboard is NOT the way to go? I am using pretty thick cardboard boxes with a blanket in it. When using cereal box what are you using to stop the pellet? I am shooting indoors at this time.

farrlarr

Quote from: mackelby on February 01, 2013, 07:33:24 PM
So the thicker cardboard is NOT the way to go? I am using pretty thick cardboard boxes with a blanket in it. When using cereal box what are you using to stop the pellet? I am shooting indoors at this time.

The thicker cardboard is used only as a backer for the target (which I print on 65 lb card stock or 67lb cover stock, available from your local office supply store); it is not used as the pellet stop.  I, and many others, use duct seal as the pellet stop, placed as a double thickness in a box constructed of scrap lumber with a clip on the front/top to hold the target and backer.
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."

mackelby

Larry could you post a picture please, when you get a chance, please?

WyoMan

Here's one I made mackelby...
could have turned out better.....my woodshop projects usually don't work

I mostly use cardboard box with phone books but I made the duct seal one for when I travel  :)
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

farrlarr

Quote from: mackelby on February 01, 2013, 07:51:40 PM
Larry could you post a picture please, when you get a chance, please?

WyoMan posted a picture that is as good as any you will see, although there are lots of threads here and on Gaterway to Airguns on making duct seal pellet traps.  Since it appears you are not familiar with duct seal, you can buy it at Lowe's or Home Depot, or other big box stores of that type.  It is found in the electrical section, not in plumbing (which is where most employees will try to direct you, since they have no idea what it is).  It is usually found on the bottom shelf in a white box that is only two blocks wide (see the picture for what a block is), and there will seldom be very many blocks in the box; you may have to ask someone to check for other stock.  Here is a link so you will have some idea what you are looking for:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100212441/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=duct+seal&storeId=10051#.UQwfh2ftJ0Q
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."

arkmaker †

Last time I bought some the shelf was empty, but the stocking cart was in the isle and low and behold....there was a brand new box in it! Sometimes ya just get lucky!

I have had the wood sitting on my back porch for 3 months to make a couple of traps. I really should get at it!

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

bgmcgee

I pretty much cleaned out Lowe and home depot so just for the heck of it I dropped by orchard supply and they had a bunch.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

arkmaker †

duct seal junkies  ;D ;D  they are going to think we are making crack or something.. a run on duct seal!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22