USPS and Shipping Airguns Domestic and International is a NO NO!

Started by arkmaker †, April 04, 2013, 06:01:15 PM

arkmaker †

Just went to the USPS to ship a air pistol and was told NO! 1st time and I have shipped more than a few, but this time, same women, told me to hit the road. I questioned her and she pulled out the regulations and read them to me. Off to Fedex I went. No problems there, but it cost me 25 bucks more than I had expected. This is why I hate shipping outside of the US!!!!!!! Normally, I can use the pre-paid Priority Mail boxes and be done with it, but out of country is a different ball of wax.

Here is the regulations; Be forewarned!!
11.1 Pistols, Revolvers, and Other Concealable Firearms
[/size]11.1.1 Definitions
[/size]The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:
[/size]a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of which is regulated by this standard.
[/size]b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.
[/size]c. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, designed to, or that may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.
[/size]d. Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.
[/size]e. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person.
[/size]f. Licensed manufacturer and licensed dealer mean, respectively, a manufacturer of firearms or a bona fide dealer of firearms, duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury, under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618), 18 USC 921, et seq.
[/size]g. Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:
[/size]1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
[/size]2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
[/size]11.1.2 Handguns
[/size]Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 11.1.3 and 11.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 11.1.4 and 11.1.6.
[/size]11.1.3 Authorized Persons
[/size]Subject to 11.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:
[/size]a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
[/size]b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
[/size]c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
[/size]d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
[/size]e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.
[/size]f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.
[/size]g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 11.1.3c. through 11.1.3e.
[/size]11.1.4 Affidavit of Addressee
[/size]Any person proposing to mail a handgun under 11.1.3 must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee setting forth that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm under a particular category of 11.1.3a. through 11.1.3g, and that the firearm is intended for the addressee's official use. The affidavit must also bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official duty use of the addressee, signed by one of the following, as appropriate:
[/size]a. For officers of Armed Forces, by the commanding officer.
[/size]b. For officers and employees of enforcement agencies, by the head of the agency employing the addressee to perform the official duty with which the firearm is to be used.
[/size]c. For watchmen, by the chief clerk of the department, bureau, or independent branch of the government of the United States, the state, the territory, or the district by which the watchman is employed.
[/size]d. For the purchasing agent or other designated member of enforcement agencies, by the head of such agency, that the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee included in 11.1.3c. through 11.1.3e, Authorized Persons.
[/size]11.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers
[/size]Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.
[/size]11.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers and Dealers
[/size]A licensed manufacturer or dealer need not file the affidavit under 11.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms, that the parcels containing handguns (or major component parts thereof) are customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of his or her knowledge or belief the addressees are licensed manufacturers or dealers of firearms.
[/size]11.1.7 FBI Crime Detection Bureaus
[/size]Handguns may be mailed without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6 if:
[/size]a. Addressed to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), or its director, or to the scientific laboratory or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers or officers of a state, territory, or district authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment; or
[/size]b. Offered by an authorized agent of the federal government as an official shipment to any qualified addressee in categories 11.1.3a. through 11.1.3g, or to a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms or to a federal agency.
[/size]11.2 Antique Firearms
[/size]Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6.
[/size]11.3 Rifles and Shotguns
[/size]Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.
[/size]11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms
[/size]Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

sandpiper

Uh Oh, here we go again  :D

I assume that is a revised regulation? Do you know what the date of that is because we've been done this road before and the regulation if i remember correctly stated an airgun under 400 fps was OK to ship but over 400 fps needed a signature at the time of delivery.

Gippeto

breakfastchef

Section 12.2 related to rifles and shotguns from the USPS Mailing Manual do allow for their shipment domestically. The part posted by arkmaker relates to handguns. If this is a new change, that would be tragic. Other than the fact you would have to send handguns through FFL holders, what would you do if you wanted to send an air pistol to a tuner or repair facility?

Read Through this - http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#1198527

The above document does not use the same language as what arkmaker posted. I had a problem shipping an air gun one time because a newer USPS employee was unfamiliar with the rules as they applied to guns other than powder burners. Next day the Postmaster was there and she shipped the package without question.
Larry

arkmaker †

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

sandpiper

Yup, that makes sense. After looking at it again and assuming the worse, because it wouldn't surprise me, I see it.

For the record, here's the usps link including section 12
http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

arkmaker †

Larry,
What you posted clearly states that airguns are Non-mailable, unless I missed a clause??
Rich

Oh, and yes this does suck!

sandpiper

Fronzdan

arkmaker †

Quote from: Fronzdan on April 04, 2013, 07:09:11 PM
Just wondering how they know what's in the box?

They ask on international shipping. Domestic, not so much, but still, if it is breaking the law, it is breaking the law. If you do not tell them and know it is illegal, I figure it is not ethical and even worse. That's my take.

My reply was sporting goods. They asked specifically "what". So I told her. "air gun".  It has never been a problem before and she is the gal I mostly deal with.

arkmaker †

Quote from: sandpiper on April 04, 2013, 06:54:19 PM
Section 12.2 f will clear up any confusion.

No, actually this just leaves the law up to interpretation. In one breath they say NO, you can not mail these things, and in another they say they are mailable........ the government is worse than dealing with crackheads!

So, I for one do not want to hassle with an organization that can't make up there minds. I will ship complete guns via Fedex and small parts via the USPS, because I know that is legal.
Just my take.
Rich

breakfastchef

In the link I provided, the firearm definition differs from what you posted as it does include "...spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure..". If they have adopted "...spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure..." in the definition, it is a game changer.

Quote from: arkmaker on April 04, 2013, 06:44:05 PM
Larry,
What you posted clearly states that airguns are Non-mailable, unless I missed a clause??
Rich

Oh, and yes this does suck!
Larry

arkmaker †

The book she showed me had the same text as in my original post. Which one is more current? Or it would not surprise me that all three are floating about

Gippeto

Rather interesting...a look into the bureaucratic mind...or some such rubbish. ;)

'Tis done at this time gents, I will be bookmarking that info for future reference...in the event.

Thank you for your patience Rich. :)

Al

BDS

This stuff requires verys determined and precise reading... 12.2.f sends you to 12.1.1a which is the definition of a firearm (no airguns in that definition) and then , further reading in 12.1.1 gets you to para. "i" which gives you the definition of  an airgun. Are we confused yet? Standby... our dear-leader Chairman "O" will soon make all of this a moot point anyway... no need to mail an item if it's "illegal" and has been confiscated, right? (see latest news about Connecticut and Colorado knee-jerking)

Sec 12.2

f.  Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an Adult Signature service under 503.9.0. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

a. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be convert­ed to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm muzzle brake; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm.

i. Air gun means a gun that fires a projectile by means of compressed air or other gas (including paintball and pellet guns).
Brian