Wolud You Recommend Tippman Stock and Adaptor?

Started by BDS, April 11, 2013, 07:05:34 PM

BDS

To All:  Can I get the CAPOF experts to weigh-in on the following regarding... good points, bad points, and any installation or use issues?

1) Tippman adjustable stocks for 22XX and 13XX guns
2) Tippman Adaptor for 22XX and 13XX guns, are all the sellers about the same quality or fit? , i.e. SD Designs, HPA (bluefork) et al?

Last, is the stock Crosman gun's end cap mounting area (tube and 2 screws) sturdy enough for these stocks to be mounted into regardless of the quality of the stock and the adaptor?
Brian

ped

i've got a couple of rifles with tippman stocks and i like them but the adjustable ones do have a little play between the two pieces one soloution is to set it at the right length then add a couple of grub screws to pin the two parts together
as i've made my own adapters i can't comment on them but if i were to use one i think i would add extra fixings like on the as2250
a couple of pics of mine
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

BDS

Brian

quickster47 †

I ended up making my own adapter which is like all the rest except I made sure the stock seats well in the adapter and that the setscrews bite in the correct area on the stock.

My stock on this gun is folding and believe it or not, it has held up very well in some serious usage.

The biggest problem area I've seen is where the stock mates with the adapter.'

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BDS

Thx Carl... and is that a thumb in that folded up stock?  ??? :D
Brian

breakfastchef

I noticed that quickster47 added a cheek piece to his stock whereas ped did not. I think getting a proper cheek weld on these types of stocks would be a challenge. And they likely were never designed for that.
Larry

BDS

Good call on the cheek weld Larry, the 1389 stocks just barely make it for me and ocular lens alignment, the Tippman stocks look a good 1" or more lower at that cheek to stock point?
Brian

ped

carls optics are a lot higher than mine though both mine have a real nice cheek weld even with them both having raised breech's
some of the tippman stocks can be fitted with cheek piece risers that just clip on
i think its bit like marmite you either like them or hate them
ped

JEBert

Brian,
I had a Mellon Air adapter.  It worked just fine.  I had no issues at all with the adapter.  Like ped mentioned, the adjustment part of the RAP4 stock had a little slop in it but when you were in "cheek weld" shooting, it was not noticeable.
The issue I did have with it was this:
When I ordered the stock and adapter, I had a Compact Bugbuster 4X32 scope on my gun.  When I got the adapter and stock installed, the stock prevented me from getting my head low enough to see through the scope.  However, I had also ordered a Leapers red dot sight.  The Leapers came with a Weaver mount although I thought I had read it had a 3/8" rimfire rail mount so I ordered an adapter.  (I haven't been able to find that ad again so I probably just mis-read it.)  When my adapter arrived and I got the RD installed, it (accidentally) turned out to be the perfect height for that RAP4 stock.  I didn't like the looks of how high the sight was but only because I like my scopes as close to the barrel center-line as possible (because of hold-under when shooting at closer-than-sighting-in ranges).  So, even though I didn't care for the process because I THOUGHT I wasn't going to like it, it turned out to be the perfect combination, as long as I was using the RD sight.  The stock was still too high to use a rear peep though, which I had as a backup in case the RD's batteries went out.
I enjoyed it as long as I had it but I took the opportunity to trade it for a 2300KT with a LW barrel.
Here is a pic
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

BDS

Quote from: ped on April 11, 2013, 08:51:11 PM
carls optics are a lot higher than mine though both mine have a real nice cheek weld even with them both having raised breech's
some of the tippman stocks can be fitted with cheek piece risers that just clip on
i think its bit like marmite you either like them or hate them
ped

Cheers ped and... that would be Vegemite for those on HRM's prison island down under! :D  ;D
Brian

woody67

BDS

Brian

ped

i prefer bovril never liked marmite
my bro is doing 4-5 years there as his wife has got a job there good result for me as i get to look after there scuba tanks (sorry for derail)
ped

BDS

Thanks for the info JeBert, nice pics too, really helps :-*
Brian

quickster47 †

Quote from: woody67 on April 11, 2013, 09:25:03 PM
I just want to know about the thumb....?
Quote from: BDS on April 11, 2013, 09:35:35 PM
me too... Carl!  :D

It was a Zombie kill right before the original Gauntlet throw down, hence my name of Zombie Getter.

Carl

And the real truth is that a long time ago I bought a thumb drive from Geek.com because it came with the molded thumb.  My wife suggested I paint the fingernail.

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †