What is "Stock"?

Started by dan_house, May 22, 2013, 10:15:39 PM

quickster47 †

Quote from: agninja on May 23, 2013, 02:41:06 PM
On a side note, the word "stock" has probably more different meanings than any other word in the English language. Especially when you consider the other spelling of the same word too ("stalk").

Hate to disagree with you but the little word "up" definitely has more meanings and usages than stock.

Carl

Lovers of the English language might enjoy this.  It is yet another example of why people learning English have trouble with the language.  Learning the nuances of English makes it a difficult language.  (But then, that's probably true of many languages.)

There is a two-letter word in English that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word is 'UP'.  It is listed in the dictionary as being used as an [adv], [prep], [adj], [n] or [v].

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP?  Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?  We call UP our friends and we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen.  We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.

At other times the little word has a real special meaning.  People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.
And this up is confusing:
A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but then we also close it UP at night.  We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!

To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary.  In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4 of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used.  It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP.  When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP.  When it rains, it wets UP the earth.  When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP.

One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now ...  my time is UP, so time to shut UP!

Oh...one more thing:
What is the first thing you do in the morning and the last thing you do at night?

U  P

Don't screw up.  Now I'll shut up

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BDS

Brian

Baltim0re28

Wow. That was pretty interesting, I enjoy reading things like that :-*.. I have another one about the English language that is somewhat similar but I don't want to go too far off subject from OP's thread.
James.

arkmaker †

OK, I avoided this thread until I had my courage up  :-X

Just finished reading it so I think it may be time to add a definition to the General Rules in regards to stock for the purpose of our "Stock Only" competitions. I will add it today, but leaning on a version of this by Chongman;

Stock...

Very hard to nail down what the term means without getting crazy with a set of regulations.  I could call it box (clamshell) stock which I'd interpret as take it out of the package, clean/lube shoot. No material may be added nor removed from any internal or external surface of the gun (and it's components). If it's not a Crosman part that came with the gun, not allowed.

Rich
BTW: I hate rules! The law is one thing, but rules are just one persons or a group of persons views being pressed onto others. Laws, on the other hand? Well not much better, but at least they are voted upon or served up to us by people we voted to make those decisions for us (or some such nonsense). Yeah, the radical me is coming out this morning  ;)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Okay, ignorance of the law is no excuse but then ignorance is no excuse for a law.

Right now the pressure is on you Mister Supreme Court Justice of the CAPOF.  Do what you feel is best for the masses.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

Quote from: quickster47 on May 23, 2013, 03:44:47 PM
Okay, ignorance of the law is no excuse but then ignorance is no excuse for a law.

Right now the pressure is on you Mister Supreme Court Justice of the CAPOF.  Do what you feel is best for the masses.

Carl

Geez! Gulp!  ;D ;D ;D
That's why I'm a radical thinker  ;)

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

droid

Stock - one of those rare things that hasn't met a CAPOF member yet  ;)

Seriously though I call stock as something that has no additional parts that deviate from factory specification. Not modified in any way. To me if anything is polished or altered in any way then it is not factory spec, lube that is maintenance.
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

Brent

This has been said by Rich before, but I think it needs to be remembered. Hardly any of us haven't at least cleaned up the trigger and put a lighter spring with guide in our new stock pistol. We all know what doing so does for making us enjoy it more, and want to actually use it.

I just think if you don't at least allow that, not many of us are going to actually have a gun to enter with. If you look at this months stock 2240 comp not to many there, even compared to the other more open competitions numbers. Isn't the goal, is to get more people to join in?

How about stock, just meaning no after market parts, and no parts from other Crosman pistols?

Tater

I would assume that there are very few completely stock 1377's and 2240's. All three of mine plus one that was returned had sights that wouldn't adjust downward enough and had to be lowered a bit. It seems like many others have the same issue with them.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

arkmaker †

This thread has diverted into two.......one being a personal view and the other the comp rules. I am about to enter the definition of "Stock" in the General Rules for competitions only.

My thinking is this thread should remain an open discussion, as to to what I think is the OP's original intent.
Rich

dan_house

Quote from: WyoMan on May 23, 2013, 02:48:14 AM

See what ya started Dan  ;D
Yea, ok, I apologize. I drop this seemingly simple question on everyone, then split for the desert.....
So I'm seeing some agreement, "Box stock", or with nothing else done but polish the usual points of trigger contact. I can live with that definition. But that definiton means I have _nothing_ in the shop thats "Stock"....... :-[ 
dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Brent

You... and quite a few others here ;)
If the trigger is OK to mod, then I can still pass the test ;) ;D

dan_house

OT a little:
for a great read on what a mongrel the English Language is, find "Our Magnificent BAstard Tongue, The untold history of English" by John McWhorter.
After I read it, I marvel at anyone that learns English as a second language.....

dan_house

And let me throw this tidbit out there....
borrowing from the perfroemcne auto/hot rod guys... they have a term"blueprint".... means to go thru yer engine and return it to the specs and tolerances called for in the original design plans (hence the term...) these specs are considerably tighter than what the prodcut that rolls off the assembly line can deliver. So if I change nothing on the gun, but "blueprint it", is it still stock (even though its well within the original factory specs)? I'm gonna say no.
The act of blueprinting it _is_ the mod, thus the gun has been modded.....

arkmaker †

Take 100 each of every part in a 2240 that came from Crosman (spare parts) and then cherry pick out the very best for fit and finish without alteration and you would still have  stock pistol. As close to b/p'ing as you can get and still stay stock.

When b/p'ing  an engine, most of the internal parts are 're- manufactured or altered to as close to the mean dimensions on the blueprint as humanly possible. At least that was how we did it back in the day. Better than stock if the original engineers did their work correctly. So if you 're-made a sear, even if it was to the mean dimensions specified in the Crosman drawings, it would not be stock. That makes sense to me, how about you?  ???