What is "Stock"?

Started by dan_house, May 22, 2013, 10:15:39 PM

dan_house

been off line, busy with work, the Mrs. work and life in general. Catching up on the forum, I saw a few posts that mentioned keeping the gun "stock".
So when we talk about "keeping a gun stock", what are we really talking about? If I perform a smooth lube tune on it but dont change parts.... is it still stock?  If  I replace a broken part with a factory identical one, is it still stock?
Where/what is the line from making an "out of the box" gun better, and the beginning of customization?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

breakfastchef

Stock = Out Of The Package

In my mind, replacing a broken part with an identical replacement part, or lubricating per the user manual still preserves the gun as 'stock'. Adding a trigger shoe or changing the grips would, I think, technically crosses over into modded gun territory.

Some refer to a customized gun as having stock internals, for example. This is no longer a stock gun, but we infer the valve and associated parts are unchanged from out of the package.

When there are CAPOF stock gun target competitions, I understand that to mean the gun is essentially right out of the package.

Larry

quickster47 †

^^^ breakfastchef pretty much nailed it on the head.

Take it out of the package, clean it, lube it, and shoot it.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

dan_house

chef sez: "I understand that to mean the gun is essentially right out of the package"
Carl sez: "Take it out of the package, clean it, lube it, and shoot it."
with ya both there.... but is it still stock if I break out the sandpaper and polish the contact points of the trigger and sear? (oh and dont ferget the moly...)

Fronzdan

Polishing the usual places in the trigger frame is still stock, as long as you're using the same sear, spring and blade etc, I would assume.

breakfastchef

Quote from: dan_house on May 22, 2013, 11:13:31 PM
with ya both there.... but is it still stock if I break out the sandpaper and polish the contact points of the trigger and sear? (oh and dont ferget the moly...)

This is one of those eternal questions fraught with interpretation and conjecture. It can only be solved when some entity provides the definition of 'stock' for a specific purpose. It is only then defined.

A hard line response to trigger group work would be that the gun is no longer stock. A more liberal interpretation is that it is really still stock with just some minor 'under the hood' work. What camp you are in does not affect the color blue.
Larry

BDS

If we are having trouble with the def of "stock", maybe we should use the term OEM (original eqpt mfg) ? OEM in my mind would be a 1377 in the exact condition it came in, right out of the clamshell package from Crosman.

However, that def may be more restrictive than what the folks running the comps intended?
Brian

dan_house

OEM, yea thats a good point.
But that just clarifies the mud that I'm about to thru in the water.....  :-*
If I tear my 1377 down, polish the inside of the pump tube, polish and lube the usual trigger points, polish the bolt and the bolt raceway, polish the hammer and hammer raceway, then reassemble with the same OEM parts I took out, is it stock still? No of course not. Thats a modification....
errr what I thought would be a simple question, that I'd get a few answers in rough or relative agreement..... obvisouly isnt, and thats just in my own head  :-X .
So I'm going with "stock" meaning a piece that relatively the same as a just out of the box unit, but may have some minor optimzed factory components......
Ok, I think I got it, now somebody quick change the subject  ;)

quickster47 †

When Rich and I first discussed the 2240 Box Stock Competitions I thought, as I mentioned before, take it out of the package, clean it, lube it, and shoot it.  But Rich felt that you could polish the sear and trigger components but you could swap nothing or add nothing.

So as we now see it, as long as all the components remain OEM the gun is stock.

But that also lead me to the point that what if I clean up the valve.  Is it still stock because the valve is the OEM valve just not in the same configuration as when it was purchased.

Therefore, I still feel that stock is take it out of the package, clean it, lube it, and shoot it.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

chongman

Stock...

Very hard to nail down what the term means without getting crazy with a set of regulations.  I could call it box (clamshell) stock which I'd interpret as take it out of the package, clean/lube shoot. No material may be added nor removed from any internal or external surface of the gun (and it's components). If it's not a Crosman part that came with the gun, not allowed.

???
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

WyoMan

What if your just fixing something......like a manufacturing tolerance irregularity  ???
Other than the comps or whats still in a clamshell, probably not to many "stock" with this group....
See what ya started Dan  ;D
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)

Brent

Quote from: breakfastchef on May 22, 2013, 11:39:27 PM
This is one of those eternal questions fraught with interpretation and conjecture. It can only be solved when some entity provides the definition of 'stock' for a specific purpose. It is only then defined.

A hard line response to trigger group work would be that the gun is no longer stock. A more liberal interpretation is that it is really still stock with just some minor 'under the hood' work. What camp you are in does not affect the color blue.
I wonder if that, will make some see Red??!
;) :D ;D

mudduck48

Quote from: quickster47 on May 23, 2013, 12:31:12 AM
When Rich and I first discussed the 2240 Box Stock Competitions I thought, as I mentioned before, take it out of the package, clean it, lube it, and shoot it.  But Rich felt that you could polish the sear and trigger components but you could swap nothing or add nothing.

So as we now see it, as long as all the components remain OEM the gun is stock.

But that also lead me to the point that what if I clean up the valve.  Is it still stock because the valve is the OEM valve just not in the same configuration as when it was purchased.

Therefore, I still feel that stock is take it out of the package, clean it, lube it, and shoot it.

Carl
Yea, what he said. Stock is bone stock!
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

agninja

On a side note, the word "stock" has probably more different meanings than any other word in the English language. Especially when you consider the other spelling of the same word too ("stalk").
Black air pistols matter.

BDS

Stock =  live-stock, gun-stock, stock-car, stock-broker, stock (in a company), stock-condition (as it left the factory or maker), take-stock (US), stock-taking (inventory time in the UK), stock-ist (authorized distributor in UK), stock (see live-stock)...  ??? :-X :D

I still like OEM best...  :-* ;D
Brian