Went to WM...

Started by azmark, May 23, 2013, 06:55:03 AM

azmark

...and pulled the trigger.  They had 1377s in stock SO I JUST BOUGHT ONE!

Yes, after focusing on Co2 for so long I broke down and bought what was in front of me.  I haven't shot it yet, just wiped it a little (filthy out of the package) and applied a drop of oil here and there.  The forearm seems a bit twisted but it's not bad.

I got a box of Crosman pointed pellets to try them out.  I'd like ideas for pellets to try out and see what the gun likes.  There are many, many kinds out there so if you guys could get me off on the right foot I would appreciate it.

rangerfredbob

I ordered a few cartons (I think 4 of them... that's 5000 pellets) of the crosman pointed pellets from walmart.com so that's what I use in pretty much everything :). I don't target shoot, just plink in the back yard and shoot at starlings/nutria/muskrat so the pointeds make a good all around pellet and seem to be predictable. I shot a starling at about 70 yards from a springer with one... I hear the domed and premier hollow points are good too, I've only used the CPHP's out of my .22 guns so I don't know about the .177, they are decent in .22...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

brz-ryder †

After buying that many pellets i sure hope that you gun likes them i found out that guns are like the female sex no two like the same thing i have 7 guns and none like the same pellet so lots of luck  :-*

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

rangerfredbob

My .177 RS2 will digest pretty much anything accurately, took a starling at ~40 yards with a wadcutter through it once... It's my go to long distance small target gun... with the plinking I do I'm not going for dime groups every time I shoot so it's good enough :)

I ordered that many of those pellets after hearing good things, that was two orders... so far I'm liking them and I'm through about one carton at this point.
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

azmark

I want to get some more kinds of pellets to see if they shoot much differently.  Wal-Mart here doesn't have the best selection so I'll need to order some.  Are any particular brands known to be consistently good, or are there any to avoid?

breakfastchef

Quote from: azmark on May 25, 2013, 04:55:42 AM
I want to get some more kinds of pellets to see if they shoot much differently.  Wal-Mart here doesn't have the best selection so I'll need to order some.  Are any particular brands known to be consistently good, or are there any to avoid?

Samplers are a good place to start. Check out Straight Shooters.
Larry

millipede

Quote from: azmark on May 23, 2013, 06:55:03 AM
(filthy out of the package)

don't you just love that oily new crosman smell though? (i'm being serious too :D i like it)

Quote from: azmark on May 23, 2013, 06:55:03 AM

I got a box of Crosman pointed pellets to try them out.  I'd like ideas for pellets to try out and see what the gun likes.  There are many, many kinds out there so if you guys could get me off on the right foot I would appreciate it.

try some jsb exacts. they are true "one holers" in all the 177 crosman barrels ive used

millipede

also try some crosman destroyers (not the destroyerEX) and some of those winchester heavy wadcutters.

Tater

Quote from: millipede on May 25, 2013, 08:24:56 AM
don't you just love that oily new crosman smell though? (i'm being serious too :D i like it)

Oh yeah!
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

onebaddj

Straight shooters has a good sampler also pyramyd air has samplers from jsb and hn. Thats where i woild start. Jsb and hn usually shoot good.
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.

azmark

Do the Destroyers actually perform better on pests than other designs?  They look like they would, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

KevinP

They work just fine on tree rats ... 63 so far .....  :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

azmark

Do you ever recover pellets to see if they deform differently than other hollow points?  What are you shooting them out of?  Do you get expansion at the velocity I get with my stock 1377?  Do they penetrate a squirrel?

KevinP

Never recovered them they most definitely penetrate. Some out of my 2240 - 10 inch - 500 something fps
and some out of my AS2250 18 inch - I think that's close to 600 fps ...
Kevin
Albany, New York

azmark

I got some Crosman Premier hollowpoints and Crosman wadcutters today.  I also got some bars of soap so I can compare what kind of damage different types of pellets do.