Where to support pistol with free hand if I add a shoulder stock?

Started by wahoowad, July 28, 2013, 06:20:03 AM

wahoowad

I'm planning to add a Crosman shoulder stock to my 2300KT. How do folks support their pistol with their free hand? Under the pistol grip? Grasping the air chamber?

bgmcgee

I think what ever is comfortable to you. With these pistols and no recoil my feeling there really isn't a wrong way to hold it.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

brz-ryder †

X2
what ever turns you on try it both ways see what works best for you

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

crossliner

I still grip mine w/ both hands clasping like a I would a pistol..Lately I seem to be doing the same thing w/ my air rifles..You don't have to imitate what everyone does it's a matter of being comfortable  :-*

breakfastchef

All the replies above are correct. One other hold you should try is the Taco Hold. This is a very useful hold with or without the shoulder stock installed. You see the taco hold quite a bit in Pistol Field Target competitions. I've been learning the taco hold for the past six months and prefer to grab hold to the top of my optics near the balance point of the gun.
Larry

1377x

i hold mine like i am still holding a pistol,its closer but it still
works for me ???

closed mouths dont get fed

jSan22

anyway you want. no hold sensitivity. though.... in my 1322 the muzzle jumps quite a bit in resting shots. I think that could affect accuracy, just need a air stripper to test it out.

arkmaker †

I hold my carbine with the crosman stock with my left elbow resting on my chest and my left palm under the stock just under my right hand. If that makes any sense  ???

Similar to this:

I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

crossliner

Quote from: jSan22 on July 28, 2013, 10:39:46 PM
anyway you want. no hold sensitivity. though.... in my 1322 the muzzle jumps quite a bit in resting shots. I think that could affect accuracy, just need a air stripper to test it out.

Same observation here..Benchrested my 1377 does not group well it kind of flicks when fired..

jSan22

Quote from: crossliner on July 29, 2013, 02:21:22 AM
Same observation here..Benchrested my 1377 does not group well it kind of flicks when fired..
yeah, exactly what i saw when aiming without use of my left hand. pellets would sometimes just go off by a half-inch or so. the air stripper would probably eliminate the turbulent air and stop the gun from moving during the shot.
Well, thats the theory anyways. or a barrel weight of some type.

crossliner

Quote from: jSan22 on July 29, 2013, 02:34:04 AM
yeah, exactly what i saw when aiming without use of my left hand. pellets would sometimes just go off by a half-inch or so. the air stripper would probably eliminate the turbulent air and stop the gun from moving during the shot.
Well, thats the theory anyways. or a barrel weight of some type.

Might it be the heavier spring because it still does its thing even w/ 3 pumps? Mine flicks to the right maybe because I am right handed..Regards.

jSan22

could be. lemme see if i can find the orignal hammer spring and test it out.

crossliner

Mine still uses OEM spring..Gonna test groupings benchrested now that it has an 8" muzzlebrake" and see if the weight and the reduction in velocity mitigates the flick..Regards.

bgmcgee

My 1377 is deadly accurate off the bench. 5 meters it's one hole as long as I do my part. It is a tank though which probably helps some  ;D
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

1377x

Quote from: arkmaker on July 29, 2013, 12:39:19 AM
I hold my carbine with the crosman stock with my left elbow resting on my chest and my left palm under the stock just under my right hand. If that makes any sense  ???

Similar to this:

i told my front heavy guns like that
didnt know that people actually hold like that, got steady results with the hold. not as good as the pistol hold with my balanced guns though
closed mouths dont get fed