1377's older and newer

Started by tri-5-ron, September 01, 2013, 10:49:38 PM

tri-5-ron

Hey All,
New guy here,...

For air pistols, I've only got a couple of 1377's ... nothing too fancy really.

One older one, that has the old plate covered breech, and rear cocking knob, (I can't even remember how long ago I bought that one),
and one newer one, with the plastic bolt action.

The older one had sat for some years and now does not pump up, so I'm guessing the piston seal has gone bad ?
After rekindling some past fondness for it, and was considering a rebuild, I found the newer one on my local CL for cheap, so I picked that   one up for less than a rebuild would cost.
(And of course,...  it can't stop there, ... Right ?)

That's when I started falling down that slippery slope into the "Valley of Mods and Point of No Return".

I swapped the shoulder stock off of the older "Dead" gun, onto the newer "good" gun, and started having some fun, I was seeing some of the 1377 builds that others have done on the GTA. (BTW- you guys are just as bad, if not WORSE, than us PCP guys !) lol !

So now I've been over to see Tim at Mac1, (ALWAYS a dangerous place for me to go), and I have picked up a few parts to start my .22 carbine conversion build.
It's now going to receive the standard treatments : Steel breech, Extended bolt probe, 14" .22 barrel w/ LDC, FT piston, all the different springs and guides, machine down the stock valve face, Delrin transfer port, and a TruGlo red dot sight.
I'm hoping that will make it into an impressive little shooter.

I'm curious if I can use the original stock "good" piston from the newer gun, and put it in the older gun to get it back up and running ?
Also, ... can I take the original breech from the newer gun (plastic breech with bolt action), and install it onto the older gun, in place of the sliding cover type breech ?

I'm just thinking that since I'm about to step up the game on the newer gun,... (and if the removed parts will swap over),... I might as well get the older gun back into working order too.

Your thoughts ?

1377x

yes the newer breech will work on the older 1377, it will need the newer barrel too. the bolts and chambers differ between the two
i think i would just take the pump cup off the newer piston and put it on the older piston
the older piston should have a spot for an oil wipe on it
closed mouths dont get fed

tri-5-ron

Thanks for the reply,

So are you saying that the older stock piston will have a "oil wipe", whereas the newer stock piston will NOT have the "oil wipe" ?

I have not taken either one of them apart yet, and this will be my first 1377 tear-down / build... so I'm just going by some exploded view diagrams right now. I've seen a couple of youtube videos too.

Looks to be about as easy as it could possibly be, and seems the only thing to be real careful about, is to avoid losing the tiny ball and spring below the main tube ?

Here's a pic of the newer one and the Mac1 parts to go on... (I know, you guys have seen them all 100 times before ;-) )

breakfastchef

I would suggest you get your feet wet with the new 1377. Shoot is a bit and establish a baseline for future mods if you have access to a chonograph. You have some nice parts collected. One thing you might want to consider is a replacement pump pivot pin to replace the OEM roll pin. Why? Well the replacement is removable and you are likely to be doing that with some frequency. Those roll pins are a PIA.

After you get a feel for the parts and how they work together, then go on to restore the Phase I/II 1377.
Larry

Tater

Hi Ron!!! Welcome to CAPOF. Most have seen the parts before, but cool pics of nice parts never gets old. Have you seen a video yet about tweaking the trigger/sear/spring? It's easy to make it very light and smooth (even I did it) or replace with an upgraded trigger group.
There are a lot of detail posts about polishing the sear, lighter sear springs and spring guides....Some are recent too and if I run across some good ones I link them here.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Davio

Hey, Ron

You describe well how our Crosmanitis works.  We justify parts for a gun to improve it.  Then it's such a shame to have unused parts, so we get more parts to use those leftovers in a second gun.  It never ends because we don't want it to!   ;)

Welcome to CAPOF.  :)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

KevinP

Quote from: Davio on September 02, 2013, 06:04:56 AM
Hey, Ron

You describe well how our Crosmanitis works.  We justify parts for a gun to improve it.  Then it's such a shame to have unused parts, so we get more parts to use those leftovers in a second gun.  It never ends because we don't want it to!   ;)

Welcome to CAPOF.  :)

;D ;D :D indeed
Kevin
Albany, New York

1377x

QuoteSo are you saying that the older stock piston will have a "oil wipe", whereas the newer stock piston will NOT have the "oil wipe" ?
yes that is what i am saying
dont know when they stopped putting the wipe on. replacement wipes can be made from a roll of felt,found some on ebay, or lowes sells one that fits
the flat top piston you have, is it from mac-1? is it steel? looks like it has a wipe also(maybe i need to fix the resolution on my tv)

tri-5-ron

AWww Heck !

well it looks like I'm going to be drilling out the notorious tiny little breech screw.

Yeah, I know to just carefully drill off the head,... then lift off the breech,... then use some pliers to spin the remaining stud/threads out.
so this means I'll be heading up to the hardware store to get a replacement. (yes,... I'll buy a couple extra's while I'm there too.)

Can anyone tell me what size/threads to buy ?

Thanks

1377x

most if not all hardware stores will not have the 4-48 screw you need
mac-1 will have it though if you need it right away or just use the one out of your other 1377 until you get a replacement

Tater

This member sells oversized breech screws that work great for me. Uses a larger hex wrench too.

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=5288

I put up a post in the "for sale" forum here too. That was before he joined up here. I got an extra for my 2240 and he shipped mine out right away and accepts Paypal.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

T191032

"For air pistols, I've only got a couple of 1377's ... nothing too fancy really."

You've been infected.  You'll have the full-blown disease when you have two for every day of the week, or fill a closet, or attic (ahem, Mike . . .) full.   ;)

Welcome to the fun.  LOL
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

tri-5-ron

Well the darn-dest thing happened today,...
I was hangin' out in the Shootin' Shack, (that's my truck camper sitting in the back yard), and apparently I must have dropped my 1377.

When I reached down to pick it up,...
... seems like all this "Stuff" had stuck to it !
HMmmm,...imagine that !

Looks like I may be one step closer to having a Rat-in-ator ?

Sorry for the lousy phone pic, I'll take some better ones a little later.
gotta print a few targets, and go see if it will spit anything out for now.

btw, I do not have a chrony, and it is still on original piston/valve.
Any idea of how fast it should be pushing the 14.3 CPHP's through the 14" barrel ?

BigErn

tri-5-ron

here's a couple of better pics,

That looks a little better than inside the camper  ;)
now off to get it sighted in...