1322 what to do?

Started by RinCG, May 21, 2016, 05:48:33 PM

RinCG

Alchemy parts arrived this a.m.
Took an hour of impatient waiting for the PO to open up after lunch and 15 minutes to have it all installed.
The 3D band was a snug fit but went right on. The pivot pin was a little tougher and the bolt the easiest. All in all, quite a discernible improvement from stock.
10m accuracy is very good, now waiting to wring out accuracy at a bit further distance. Liking what I'm seeing at 10m though. Rainy rainy and more rainy at the moment. The long weekend should yield an opportunity or three.
Have about $25 in change in the Mod Jar. That 1701 grip assy is getting closer to a sooner reality  :D

bgmcgee

Cool deal. :-*  These are some fun guns to mod and shoot for sure.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

RinCG

Quote from: quickster47 on May 24, 2016, 03:22:11 AM
PM me your address and I send you a modified 1377 hammer.  I trust you and besides that, lots of folks in my old organization, the CIA, still owe me some big favors. LoL  ;D
Carl

Carl,
Hammer arrived this a.m. - A Big Thank You!
Not sure how USPS routed this package as it took a hard right in Minneapolis 100 miles out of the way. Normally just straight South ??? But Hey it is here  :D
Beautiful work on the fill and polish I might add!
Hoping to get the grip frame ordered(and a few other parts of course) this week and R&R the pumper with a few tweaks(of course).

quickster47 †

Quote from: RinCG on June 01, 2016, 08:00:51 PM
Carl,
Hammer arrived this a.m. - A Big Thank You!
Not sure how USPS routed this package as it took a hard right in Minneapolis 100 miles out of the way. Normally just straight South ??? But Hey it is here  :D
Beautiful work on the fill and polish I might add!
Hoping to get the grip frame ordered(and a few other parts of course) this week and R&R the pumper with a few tweaks(of course).

Well, regardless of its path glad to know it's safe in your hands.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Redleg

It's great to read of RincCG's adventure with modding.  It sure sounds like fun.  Brings back some memories of my own introduction to my
my Crosman pistols.  I didn't go as far nor as fast but it was still fun.  Just realized I haven't shot my Crosman pistols since last year...

I'm looking forward to reading more about the modding process.... oops, I feel a purchase coming on! :-*  Oh, no!  Wally World is calling.....
Crosman 3576, , C1377, C2400kt, IZH-60, Beeman P17,31 Crosman Vigilante, Tanfoglio Limited, Tanfoglio Gold

RinCG

Quote from: Redleg on June 02, 2016, 03:29:01 AM
It's great to read of RincCG's adventure with modding.  It sure sounds like fun.  Brings back some memories of my own introduction to my
my Crosman pistols.  I didn't go as far nor as fast but it was still fun.  Just realized I haven't shot my Crosman pistols since last year...

I'm looking forward to reading more about the modding process.... oops, I feel a purchase coming on! :-*  Oh, no!  Wally World is calling.....
Hmmm "there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Nothing special about this build other than it is mine.  ;)
Many others have blazed the trail (this will be my 4th trip) and it is fun for sure!
I called in a parts order yesterday just a bit before the shop closed. Didn't get all the stuff I wanted but the "importantist" ones for now. 2220-103, 2289-001 and some tp rings & seals. Will gather some extras further down the road. Am going to try the reduced volume valve process 1st & port tuning just to see if I can tell a difference. Not real sure if I'll do a ft piston and valve  yet as it seems so many are having good luck with the newer cupped piston and cone valve. We shall see.

RinCG

Well the Crosman order arrived today.  :)
Another "Thank You, thank you, thank you " to Carl for sending me that modded hammer.
With that and some metal removal from the sear nose, the 1701P frame assembly was installed with nary an issue(save for that 2 legged torsen spring displacing itself- who comes up with this stuff?!). While I had it  that far apart anyway, I reamed the TP to .157" and added an o-ring to the top of it. All together now. Testing the trigger before tinkering further with it. Seems slightly heavier than the modified factory 1322 trigger but more precise and a bit smoother even without further polish(yet  ;) ). May just leave it alone.
Now it will be the 14.5" barrel and a carbine'd carbine stock. Until I work the adapter to folder dilemma anyway. Fun Fun!

If your trigger is heavier than a OEM, you may not have adjusted the first and second stage set screws. I have all mine adjusted to little more than 1oz and there is no comparison to an OEM trigger however you modify it. The only thing I have done to mine is put a very thin washer under the trigger to stop the side to side movement, polish the appropriate spots and add a little moly lube.
Stranded in California.

RinCG

Quote from: 7624452 on June 10, 2016, 04:03:28 AM
If your trigger is heavier than a OEM, you may not have adjusted the first and second stage set screws. I have all mine adjusted to little more than 1oz and there is no comparison to an OEM trigger however you modify it. The only thing I have done to mine is put a very thin washer under the trigger to stop the side to side movement, polish the appropriate spots and add a little moly lube.

Thanks for the diagram instructions Art. No I had not adjusted anything on the trigger at all. Well, only enough to get the 1322 to cock and fire. I knew it had a lot more adjustment to it, but it was precise & predictable. My estimate was the pull weight was @ 2 - 2 1/4 # with a slight first stage and even more slight second stage with a bit more pressure. I've used the instructions to improve my perception of trigger feel. Trigger tension is as low as it goes(is there a trick to drop it just a bit more?) and my first stage has about 3/32" movement with a very short 1-ish # second stage. I like the way this is set now. I've added ptfe pivot washers to eliminate trigger wiggle and a bit of MoS2 on sear contacts to smooth things up further. I could polish now but it is real nice as it sits.

Quote from: RinCG on June 10, 2016, 02:37:53 PM
Thanks for the diagram instructions Art. No I had not adjusted anything on the trigger at all. Well, only enough to get the 1322 to cock and fire. I knew it had a lot more adjustment to it, but it was precise & predictable. My estimate was the pull weight was @ 2 - 2 1/4 # with a slight first stage and even more slight second stage with a bit more pressure. I've used the instructions to improve my perception of trigger feel. Trigger tension is as low as it goes(is there a trick to drop it just a bit more?) and my first stage has about 3/32" movement with a very short 1-ish # second stage. I like the way this is set now. I've added ptfe pivot washers to eliminate trigger wiggle and a bit of MoS2 on sear contacts to smooth things up further. I could polish now but it is real nice as it sits.
No, I don't have any tricks. I just unscrew the trigger weight adjuster all the way out and fiddle with the set screws until I get a less than 2 pound pull. I tried just about everything you can do to modify an OEM frame, but none of them were as good as this 1701P frame assembly. Enjoy.  :)
Stranded in California.

quickster47 †

Quote from: 7624452 on June 11, 2016, 11:00:18 PM
I tried just about everything you can do to modify an OEM frame, but none of them were as good as this 1701P frame assembly. Enjoy.  :)

So very true...

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

RinCG

...and I've found it true also.
I had my doubts. After fiddling around with it more last night and this morning, no longer a doubt at all. Even better after the double legged torsen spring was correctly placed. Best money spent on the 13xx/22xx platforms.
I know there are super sears, roller triggers, self made tweaks of the oem parts and spring/guide mods- this one saves time, money and lots of spares from trying them all. About as similar to Rekord/CD/Diana triggers as you can get. Sorry for the bold statement, but after many TO1/5/6, CD and Rekord equipped guns I feel justified. I still favor my HW's but this 1701P assembly is right there. I'm sure trigger time will prove me correct.
Took my first pests with it today  :) 3 starlings, a grackle and a tree rat that was inside the feeder chewing it's way back out. Measured 16.7yds on the rat, 18 on the feathered piglets. All with 6 pumps. Right where I want the sweet spot. I guess I'm there. Now just usable improvements as I see fit. More likely add as many as I can...these moddable platforms are addictive.

WyoMan

If you lock (glue) the pins to the frame to remove that tolerance slop, the 1701 group can be almost as good as a HW-75... almost -

it's going to be pretty good anyway (like the other guys said) - great mod and keep up the good work  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

RinCG

It's "progress pics" and "posterity pics" that are Good Work. I've never been good at those. It is those that are that deserve commendations.
Thank You!

RinCG

Just waiting to install 14.5" barrel, ldc and paint some cutlines.
For the most part this is "complete"?
LOL Nevah!

Stock ended up 5/8" shorter than I wanted- will be building up the butt
plate sooner or later(see? not so done!!) then Valve and Piston mods. :)