It has arrived

Started by temchik, January 17, 2017, 01:44:48 AM

temchik

Hi All,

A little over a week after ordering, my new 1300KT Custom Shop 14" .22 pumper carbine showed up.

I immediately installed Williams WGRS-54 peep sight and went plinking (yes, 35F weather is not that great, but I had a blast anyway)

Initial observations:

- very light, perfect for a backpacker

- pumping get hard after 5-6 pumps

- I had to adjust the peep sight almost all the way to the right to correct for windage

- the trigger is horrible

- mine has a "sweet spot" at 14 pumps. I have not chronied it yet due to diminishing light. Coming soon

- should have ordered in with 18" barrel, but this way it is more "backpackable"

- shooting with a peep sight takes some practice, it is not as precise as a notch sight on a pistol, it seems edited

- pellets get hung up on the opening for the breech screw. almost every time... I have lead shavings in my breech, not sure if this is fixable by lightly sanding the area

- the stock is not very comfortable, I am not sure why they didn't extend it all the way back:

The metal portion that is visible is chafing my palmweb after a couple of dozen of shots.

I will be taking it apart when my Mellonair valve, piston and some other parts arrive, I will give it a good cleaning, deburr and lube.

Had a blast shooting it at 5 pumps, pretty reliably hit my spoon spinners and cans at 20-25 yards with the peep sight

CraigH

I have a 1322C with an FTP and that area is definitely a place to burst blood vessels!   Some have done considerable smoothing of that area.  A hardware compression spring will make the trigger lighter but polishing will be required to smooth it out.   Take a look at a #6 and a #85.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

temchik

Sorry, what's a #6 and #85?  ??? :D

Quote from: CraigH on January 17, 2017, 02:18:31 AM
I have a 1322C with an FTP and that area is definitely a place to burst blood vessels!   Some have done considerable smoothing of that area.  A hardware compression spring will make the trigger lighter but polishing will be required to smooth it out.   Take a look at a #6 and a #85.

CraigH

Those are the numbers of the springs in the hardware store bins.  I have had success with the #6 with a coil or two removed to ensure it is not flexing to the side in its middle.   An expended .22 rimfire case, or similar item makes a good spring guide.  It is a much lighter spring - test to ensure its function.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

temchik

Got it, thanks! I have used a .22lr casing in my 2300kt as well..

mudduck48

O-BOY! New toy. Have fun and shoot safe. ;)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

BillK

Trigger polishing is very common need.  Lots of info on the web & here.  I also really like the AC Custom trigger/sear spring & guide.  He is on Ebay.
That is a real good looking 13xx.  They are just great guns.....
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

temchik

Shooting the gun some more, a revelation came to me: peep sights are awesome! Not sure if it's common knowledge, but: as long as you see the front sight - they are aligned! It is actually not that important to center the front sight in the circle!

Edit. Ok, not entirely true, but seems that way at my useful distances (10-30 yards)

temchik

All I can find on ebay is this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/301310665150

Looks a bit different. Can you post a link to yours? Thank you!

Quote from: BillK on January 17, 2017, 04:40:35 AM
Trigger polishing is very common need.  Lots of info on the web & here.  I also really like the AC Custom trigger/sear spring & guide.  He is on Ebay.
That is a real good looking 13xx.  They are just great guns.....

CraigH

I always have a problem with finding AC Custom - I have the wrong address.  It's:

http://airgunartisans.com/AAACCustom.htm
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

rangerfredbob

On the pellets getting hung up, some people add some candle wax over the screw head to help that, I haven't been shooting my Crosman's with steel breeches enough to get that far yet...

On the trigger, all of my Crosman 13XX/22XX pistols have overcompressed stock springs and spent .22LR shells installed, I squish the spring until they are about 1/8" longer than the slot they go in and end up with a very acceptable trigger...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

temchik

Nice idea on the wax, will try. Trigger spring is already cut and riding on the .22lr casing

Quote from: rangerfredbob on January 17, 2017, 04:06:11 PM
On the pellets getting hung up, some people add some candle wax over the screw head to help that, I haven't been shooting my Crosman's with steel breeches enough to get that far yet...

On the trigger, all of my Crosman 13XX/22XX pistols have overcompressed stock springs and spent .22LR shells installed, I squish the spring until they are about 1/8" longer than the slot they go in and end up with a very acceptable trigger...

BillK

West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

temchik

Chrony results (approx, too lazy to post actual strings):

3 pumps - 320fps - 3.25fpe
5 pumps - 420fps - 5.6fpe
7 pumps - 480fps - 7.32fpe
10 pumps - 540fps - 9.26fpe

I was hoping that 14.5" barrel will give me a bit more than the stock 10" but it doesn't seem to matter with air, only CO2

Edit: my bad, it is hotter than stock 10"