Scope Zeroing Questions

Started by bildio, March 05, 2011, 11:13:38 PM

bildio

I'm a beginner, at least as far as scopes go.

I'm trying a Crosman CenterPoint Adventure Class 2-7x32mm riflescope on my 2300S.

I'm using a bull's eye type target for zeroing.

I'm shooting 2 inches low at 25 feet. The instructions say 1 click at 150 feet adjusts 1/8th inch. So, to I figure I need to turn the elevation knob 100 clicks. Seems like a lot.

I know some will say why use a scope at 25 feet? Why for me is due to poor eyesight.

Is this just the wrong scope for short distances, i.e., 25 - 100 feet?

Is there a limit to the number of clicks a scope can be adjusted, & will the adjustment knob stop turning when the limit is reached or will the knob keep turning without moving the tube, or ---?

Last question. Assuming I can focus a 7x, is there an accuracy advantage to using this magnification at close range, i.e., since the target appears larger?
Bill

mr007s

Are you shooting from a rest? If so, fire off three rounds as smooth as you can. If they group well and you are still 2 inches low adjust the elevation turret a half round and repeat the 3 shot group. Notice the distance between the 2 groups. This will give you an idea  on what the adjustments are doing. Once you get her dialed in closer you can worry about 1 or 2 clicks at a time on the  adjustments.

I feel the higher magnification will also show every shake and wiggle. Use only as much as you feel you need.

Crosshairs

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLirsAFpsfE#]The Easy Way to Sight-In an Air Rifle Scope[/url]      This might help
                                        Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

eric

no expert fer shur . 1 click by what you say is this --- each click will move your reticle 1/8" left/right/up or down at 50 yards . i'm not a "clicker" i just turn in the direction i need to get on target then as i get closer to my zero my turns(clicks) are less until i am on my zero.your scope was probably not "optically centered" from the factory so you might want to do that first ---- this might help ----- >>  http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1299292859/Centered+my+scope+crosshairs+by+%26quot%3Bcounting+turret+turns%26quot%3B...........      as for the higher power the more accaurate you can be .the higher power your  scope is set at will reflect very tiny movements like heartbeat and breathing. with a 2-7 you probably won't really encounter those problem but at 2x slight movement will be less detected as at 7x it will/can be more noticable
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

bildio

I subsequently tried my UTG 4X32 Mini Size AO Mil-Dot RGB Illuminated Scope, & it's right on target at 25 feet. So, I guess it's doable at 25 feet.

I'll try your suggestions & see if I can get zeroed with the 2-7 scope at 25 feet. If not, I'll increase the distance until I can.
Bill

NorthStaR

I use a laser boresighter for zeroing and its just a case of lining up the sight/scope with the dot. Then some minor adjustments to bring it up to par. I'd recommend one.

Prior I'd shoot a few pellets, adjust a few clicks, repeat shots, more clicks and then go to safe cracker mode with tiny adjustments.
The lasers much quicker and saves pellets, time and gas.

Cheers  :-*

Edit: One of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001AGF9N6/ref=asc_df_B001AGF9N62208312?smid=AYFHCY9FOG6Y7&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B001AGF9N6
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

bildio

Do you know if it'll work on a .177 ?
Bill

airguns100

imo.
Make sure your scope has "AO" (adjustable objective).
Personally i think using AO is better for short distances and use low scope rings to bring down the scope as much as possible.
I can shoot as close as 3 yards with leapers bug buster scope. Another plus side using a leapers bug buster is there are NO parallax issues to contend with at any distance 3 yards or 30 yards.

i always see people using (powder burner) scopes made for 100 yard shots on air guns. I have no idea why people do that.. the elevation adjustment will never allow the crosshairs to go that low at short distances.
So don't waste your money.
Find a (air gun rated) scope with "AO" and use the lowest scope rings possible.

edit. make sure you use a rifle vice to (zero in) your new scope after it's been mounted correctly for the first 2 or 3 shots.

The OG gangster of the "bling"

airguns100

Quote from: NorthStaR on March 06, 2011, 01:16:38 AM
I use a laser boresighter for zeroing and its just a case of lining up the sight/scope with the dot. Then some minor adjustments to bring it up to par. I'd recommend one.

Prior I'd shoot a few pellets, adjust a few clicks, repeat shots, more clicks and then go to safe cracker mode with tiny adjustments.
The lasers much quicker and saves pellets, time and gas.

Edit: One of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001AGF9N6/ref=asc_df_B001AGF9N62208312?smid=AYFHCY9FOG6Y7&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B001AGF9N6

i was considering a laser bore tool. but i wasn't sure if it'd be worth it going that far for such short distances. unless your shooting above 1000 fps.

quickster47 †

You want the scope crosshairs to be as close to centered in the scope tube as possible, others can, and probably will, explain better, but the further your crosshairs are from the center, the less accurate your adjustments will be.  Centered is the neutral, natural position.  It's optically correct.  Put a mirror in front of the scope and look through the scope.  When the crosshairs line up with the reflection, it's centered.  Think of it like algebra.  It doesn't matter why A+B=C, just accept it.  If you then mount that scope on a rifle, and it is WAY off, you would need a compensating mount to take up most of the adjustment, keeping your scope in a more neutral state.  If it's close, just use the scope adjustments.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

NorthStaR

Quote from: bildio on March 06, 2011, 01:23:00 AM
Do you know if it'll work on a .177 ?
There are a few other brands that do .177
The one I have is only .22 though.
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Darth

The scope your using is (according to Centerpoint) ââ,¬Å"parallaxââ,¬Â set for 100 yards. This is going to drive you nuts as 25 feet. You can see what I mean if you put the gun on a solid rest, look through the scope and move your head around. The crosshairs will move around over the target. Makes it hard to shoot a good group.

Do some ââ,¬Å"internetââ,¬Â studying on parallax error and you will see what I mean.

I re-adjust my scopes all the time to the range I am most likely going to use it at. You will have to make a tool to do the adjustments. I make mine out of banding stock. The scope Iââ,¬â,,¢m using on my 2240 is currently ââ,¬Å"parallax setââ,¬Â to 15 yards. Itââ,¬â,,¢s really as simply as ââ,¬Å"re-focusingââ,¬Â the front lens. Making the wrench (tool) isnââ,¬â,,¢t to awful bad.

Again, do some ââ,¬Å"internetââ,¬Â studying on parallax error.

Darth
The Force Is With You Young Lead Slinger ... But You Are Not A Crosman Yet ...

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/index.php

NorthStaR

Quote from: airguns100 on March 06, 2011, 01:27:20 AM
i was considering a laser bore tool. but i wasn't sure if it'd be worth it going that far for such short distances. unless your shooting above 1000 fps.

For me its a quick tool/aid for something that can otherwise take a bit of time. Especially if you change out the scope for another sight.
I swap between a 3-9X42 and a diopter so this boresighter saves time. Neither is left attached when not shooting. It gives the exact angle the barrel is firing regardless, even if there is a bend. Elevation must taken into account with the boresighter over distance but not really an issue for short range.

Good on iron sights, scopes, pistols, carbines and rifles.

Double-tap!

Darth

The other thing you could do is buy a scope that has an AO (Adjustable Objective). This HAS the ââ,¬Å"re-focusingââ,¬Â of the front lens built in as a user adjustment. It essentially does the same thing very easily ââ,¬Â¦ and you can change it ââ,¬Å"on the flyââ,¬Â. It eliminates the ââ,¬Å"moving crosshairsââ,¬Â and the image is in focus at what ever distance you set it to.

BTW ââ,¬Â¦ until I had a hard time seeing at close distances (open sights) and using scopes more often, I never knew ââ,¬Å"parallax errorââ,¬Â was a factor. Because of this ... I try to buy AO scopes for my more "important" projectile propellers"

Darth
The Force Is With You Young Lead Slinger ... But You Are Not A Crosman Yet ...

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/index.php

airguns100

Here's a link to the scope "in my opinion" is best suited for (general short range air gunning) for the price.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_5th_Gen_3_9x32AO_Bug_Buster_Compact_Rifle_Scope_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Reticle_1_4_MOA_1_Tube/2713

HTH

-Rye